Tracks in Wide Bay Burnett Region

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Postby uzbekpk » Tue 19 Apr, 2011 10:24 am

Hi. I am newly based in Hervey Bay and am gathering information on tracks around Wide Bay for both day and weekend trips. I am of middling fitness and experience, so nothing too hardcore yet please. Anything within about a 5 hour radius North and West - up to Rockhamptonish would be fine.

I know about Fraser Island of course, and Rainbow Beach, but I am keen to get out around some of the smaller towns heading up the highway. Oh, and if anyone knows of any guidebooks that cover this area let me know. My google searching has been quite unfruitful.

Appreciate the helping hand. Kellyanne.
uzbekpk
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Thu 21 Apr, 2011 12:09 am

Hi, i live not to far from Hervey Bay, I would consider joining a local bushwalking club. I'm not aware of any clubs at Hervey Bay, Bundaberg has a bushwalking club.

Theres some good bushwalking near Bigenden.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Sat 23 Apr, 2011 9:35 am

Try the Bunya Mountains out near Kingaroy.
Burrum coast national park also has some bushwalking tracks.
Mount Walsh near Bigenden if your up for a decent climb, I'd advise to get some fitness first before attempting the climb, and it's very challenging, don't go alone. If your willing to drive to Bundaberg, your welcome to join us on one of our club bush walks.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: Tracks in Wide Bay Burnett Region

Postby fitdingo » Wed 07 Dec, 2011 10:30 am

Hey guys, I feel your pain. I'm in Hervey Bay but I miss my Tas mountains. Mt. Walsh is great, but the track is a little poorly marked. If you want to go anytime Uzbekpk PM me, once you get there it's up, cuppa T, and down in 3 hours-ish. There looks to be good scope for off-track ridge walks too but I'd want to do it with a group and a PLB.
Phillipsart is right, a club is the best way to find out about local tracks.
fitdingo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Sun 11 Mar, 2012 2:59 pm

:D Tracks in Mt Walsh? Where?

There is sort of a track apx half way upto the Mountain, that's track is the only track in the national park, the rest of the park it's all off-track.
Just got back home from 2 day's of exploration in the park. Found some great, secret caves and gardens.
Attachments
IMG_5642.JPG
IMG_5642.JPG (191.95 KiB) Viewed 19223 times
IMG_5641.jpg
IMG_5641.jpg (155.68 KiB) Viewed 19222 times
IMG_5671.jpg
IMG_5671.jpg (132.72 KiB) Viewed 19222 times
IMG_5720.jpg
IMG_5720.jpg (151.25 KiB) Viewed 19222 times
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Pteropus » Sun 11 Mar, 2012 6:37 pm

That cave looks too massive to be a secret! Phillip, have you been to Coalstoun Lakes NP? Someone told me the lakes there are pretty and though it is not a very big park it is an interesting geological feature (according to the DERM website they are one of the youngest volcanic formations in Aus). Just wondering if it is worth visiting if I am ever up that way. A quick look on google Earth shows that its the only patch of veg surrounded by grazing land.
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australia

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Sun 11 Mar, 2012 7:32 pm

Pteropus wrote:That cave looks too massive to be a secret! Phillip, have you been to Coalstoun Lakes NP? Someone told me the lakes there are pretty and though it is not a very big park it is an interesting geological feature (according to the DERM website they are one of the youngest volcanic formations in Aus). Just wondering if it is worth visiting if I am ever up that way. A quick look on google Earth shows that its the only patch of veg surrounded by grazing land.

The cave?
The location is a secret.

Yes, been to Coalstoun Lakes. It's defnatly worth checking out now, because both lakes are full of water. Speaking to a guy today that's never seen water in the lake as it is today. His been going there since 40 years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby kbm63 » Mon 12 Mar, 2012 6:28 pm

Cania gorge near Monto has a selection of short walks - good for a weekend trip
kbm63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Mon 12 Mar, 2012 6:32 pm

kbm63 wrote:Cania gorge near Monto has a selection of short walks - good for a weekend trip

Also has a 22km return hike to a great lookout overlooking the dam. It's a gentle climb to the lookout, than mostly downhill from there.
Attachments
IMG_5431.jpg
IMG_5431.jpg (142.21 KiB) Viewed 19181 times
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby kbm63 » Mon 12 Mar, 2012 6:41 pm

Don't forget Fraser island on the doorstep of Hervey bay - great walks particularly around the central lakes.
kbm63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Mon 12 Mar, 2012 6:48 pm

Yes, in some ways we are lucky, have to drive upto 3 hours to reach these locations. Mt Walsh is one hours drive for me, There's also the Sunny Coast hinterland within a few hours drive.

Fraser is great, an hours drive and half hour barge ride for me, but I wish they would open the rest of the Great Walk, Half of the Great Walk has been closed since the rains a year ago.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Debslynne » Sat 14 Apr, 2012 10:02 am

Hi Kellyann

I am new to Hervey Bay also. I am from New South Wales so I am new to Queensland.

I am also keen to do some bushwalking also. I was hoping to find a Bushwalking Club in Hervey but have had no luck. I am looking for a "bushwalking buddy" if you are interested, or if there are a few people interested we may be able to start up a Club of our own in Hervey Bay!
Debslynne
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Moira Anne 7986 » Sun 22 Apr, 2012 5:16 pm

For those who wish to do off-track walking in the Mt Walsh National Park, Biggenden, I have over thirty years experience of the area and have over this time established routes to over twenty-two summits. No routes are marked in order to preserve the pristine nature of the area. Working in closely with DERM I advise them of any environmental changes or human impact. They prefer that access to off-track areas be made using an authorised bush walking guide such as myself. I live in Biggenden. The North Burnett area also has Auburn River National Park, Finney Creek 5km walk at Paradise Dam and Mt Woowoonga is a great heart work-out. Bundaberg Bush Walkers know of some great walks around the Wide Bay.
Moira Anne 7986
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Sat 19 May, 2012 7:52 am

Moira Anne 7986 wrote:For those who wish to do off-track walking in the Mt Walsh National Park, Biggenden, I have over thirty years experience of the area and have over this time established routes to over twenty-two summits. No routes are marked in order to preserve the pristine nature of the area. Working in closely with DERM I advise them of any environmental changes or human impact. They prefer that access to off-track areas be made using an authorised bush walking guide such as myself. I live in Biggenden. The North Burnett area also has Auburn River National Park, Finney Creek 5km walk at Paradise Dam and Mt Woowoonga is a great heart work-out. Bundaberg Bush Walkers know of some great walks around the Wide Bay.

hi Moira Anne 7986.
I somehow missed your post, till now.

Thanks for the suggestions.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Bundy » Sat 23 May, 2015 2:54 pm

HI I am planning on bringing a group to Mt Walsh to do the climb next week. It has been many years since I have climbed Mt Walsh and that was with Harry Frauca who knew the area like the back of his hand. Does anyone know if there is a marked section once you hit the base of the cliff of Mt Walsh. Tried to do it a few years ago and couldn't work out which way was the best way to go.
Is it necessary to have ropes ( I don't recall using them before but I was about 30 yrs younger!!)
some inside info about this climb would be handy.
cheers
Bundy
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Bundy » Sat 23 May, 2015 2:58 pm

HI Moira Anne
Is it possible to organise for you to guide us up Mt Walsh or do you think we would be fine without a guide? There is a group of about 10 from Hervey Bay. Fairly fit but some very little rock climbing experience. They are prepared to stop or turn around it it gets too hard.
Bundy
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Queensland