Mt Cougal/Springbrook

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Mt Cougal/Springbrook

Postby tas-man » Sat 12 Aug, 2017 6:26 pm

For those of you on Facebook, this is a link to a spectacular video of Mt Cougal and Boyd's Butte taken from a Phantom drone.
https://www.facebook.com/nasproductions ... 7930583119

Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 6.24.38 pm.png
Last edited by tas-man on Tue 15 Aug, 2017 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby djtidau » Tue 15 Aug, 2017 11:40 am

Hey guys, I realise that this is an old thread but just wanted to thank everyone for the wealth of information and history about this location. I've hiked much of modern trails of the gold coast / northern nsw and am starting to now look at the less known ones. I'm new to this community but am loving what I see here, you're all good people.

Thanks.
djtidau
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby dis » Tue 15 Aug, 2017 12:30 pm

tas-man, thanks for posting that link, its a great video.

Having just hiked up the Cougals, then traversing to Boyds Butte and dropping down into Currumbin just a few weeks ago it is great to see an Ariel view of the location. Fair amount of lawyer vine between the Cougals and Boyds though but not too difficult to find a way.
dis
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby tas-man » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 11:34 pm

Just a thread bump to let people know that the Cream Track website - http://www.thecreamtrack.com.au - has now got a lot more information about the history and development of the track to ensure that it remains accessible and clearly defined, and so avoiding unintended trespass on private property.

This video gives some history of the creation and use of the track over several generations -
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Aardvark » Sun 08 Apr, 2018 10:33 am

You can scramble easily enough from East to West Cougal but the only way around to the base of the cliffs on the West Cougal in order to travel on the watershed over to Springbrook, is to descend around East Cougal just before the summit climb and stay around the same altitude all the way around East and West Cougal to the ridgeline.
It used to have the odd bit of tape. We, on one occasion continued at about the 700m contour all the way to Numinbah Gap, above Crystal Ck. Not recommended for many. It was that occasion which cemented the route over Springbrook as the preferred extension of any 'entire scenic rim' walk we've done.
I once ascended to the ridgeline between West Cougal and Springbrook from one of the tributaries of Tallebudgera Ck after descending the Cream track. There was a cut track angling all the way up. I've no doubt it crossed private land though. There is a cliff break some distance along the south side of the plateau above. It is slippery and most often wet. I remember tape on that too.. No doubt known to some of the Gold Coast Bushwalkers. It made for a nice daywalk circuit from the top off Springbrook.
Ever on the search for a one ended stick.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Previous

Return to Queensland