Mt cordeau

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt cordeau

Postby Cath » Thu 02 Jun, 2011 9:24 pm

Hi guys, I'm heading for mt cordeau this sat with friends, one of them who has concerns for
Her hubby who is legally blind, wanted me to ask how many narrow paths we will have to use to
get there. Has anybody done the track recently or knows it? Does anybody think the track would be too challenging for one who's sight impaired? He is an experienced walker and can see but has no perfrieral vision. Would appreciate any imput! Cheers Cath
Cath
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Mt cordeau

Postby cams » Fri 03 Jun, 2011 9:38 am

I did this track a few weeks ago. For the first 2/3'rds or so before the lookout the track is all fairly wide. It does run along the side of a reasonably steep hill though. There isn't that many zig zag's to navigate though. Closer to the lookout the track does narrow a bit and does a few smaller zig zag's above some rocky sections. But there is still a lot of shrubbery on either side of the track which may give a good indication of the edges. The lookout itself has no railings so care would have to be taken (for anyone). If you continue on past the lookout the track does cover one 10m section that is flat and wide but there is a large drop off to one side if you go too far that way. After that it is all pretty straight forward out to Bare Rock.

Hope this helps. It's a bit hard to give any recommendations. Overall the track is in very good condition. There's a bigger write up and some photo's on my blog.
cams
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Cath » Fri 03 Jun, 2011 2:23 pm

Thanks. Your info helps a lot. Cheers
Cath
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby kbm63 » Fri 03 Jun, 2011 3:17 pm

Have done this walk at night by moonlight/torchlight (as well as by day) and it would be fine.
kbm63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Cath » Sat 11 Jun, 2011 12:52 pm

Thanks for info folks. Did the walk a few weeks ago, as it turned out my friend who was worried about her hubby almost didn't make it due to the height, but we all made it to the top. Awesome underestimates the view that was waiting for me. We sat at the lookout and I was blown away at the sight that was before me. I can't wait till I go again with my family although this time we will be on top just before dawn to see the sun rise. I was on such a high afterwards we are doing mt Mitchell next. I have heard that it's better than cordeux. Can't w8. Cheers
Cath
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby tas-man » Sun 12 Jun, 2011 9:38 pm

Mt Mitchell is a great day walk with a good variety of terrain and interesting route to the top. The views from the summit are awesome as it is very open and you are on the edge of the eastern cliff face overlooking the Cunningham Highway.
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Cath » Mon 13 Jun, 2011 9:09 pm

Can't wait to get there. Too much work not enough fun
Cath
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii