Green Mountains to Rat-a-Tat

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Green Mountains to Rat-a-Tat

Postby shardie » Tue 28 Jun, 2011 12:48 pm

Hi, has anyone got .gpx files (GPS files) of walks in the area of Green Mountains to Rat-a-Tat?
This weekend some friends & I are planning an overnighter to Rat-a-Tat Hut site starting at the Border Track then onto Echo Pt, Mt Worendo, Mt Wupawn and Mt Durigan. We have some trail notes but would appreciate the added comfort of GPS co-ords :)
shardie
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Green Mountains to Rat-a-Tat

Postby cams » Tue 28 Jun, 2011 1:33 pm

My friend should have a track file from our last trip there. Will let you know. You can get the coords of the campsite from the ranger but we've found that they aren't that accurate. The foot pad is relatively easy to follow. The only bit that is a bit tricky is within a few 100m or so of the branch down to the hut. There is a rock slide or something where you lose the track a bit. Best thing to know is that once you find the branch you'll know it. There is an obvious tin sign nailed to a tree and the track branch is well worn. So don't second guess yourself about whether that slight opening in the trees is possibly the track like we did the first time.
cams
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby scockburn » Tue 28 Jun, 2011 8:25 pm

Hi , I d that track from time to time and last time tried out my basic skills at putting in some GPS points from Echo Point to Ratatat . Would they be of any use? Steve C
scockburn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tas-man » Thu 30 Jun, 2011 3:17 am

I can't help with GPS co-ords for Rat-a-Tat, but I remembered that I had a hand drawn map from my BBW days in the 1970's that we used to photocopy and take with us as there was always some confusion about finding the place in the rainforest. There used to be many false leads from folk bashing around looking for the hut, so these directions were shared amongst the club members. It's a piece of history now, and may not be of use, but then again the hut hasn't changed location in all these years. I can't recall with any confidence who did the original sketch, possibly Ted Wassenberg or Lance Rutherford, but Ron Farmer from BBW might know if shown a copy. Anyway, let me know if it was of any use :D

Rat-a-Tat Hut Map.jpg
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby shardie » Mon 04 Jul, 2011 2:02 pm

A BIG THANKS!!! to those who shared their info. It was a spectacular walk and weekend.
The trail is a no-brainer up until Echo Point camping ground. However, with a number of tree falls and natural growth, the trail beyond is at times not easily discernable.
After parking at O'Reilly's, it took us about 5 hours to get there (with a number of diversions along the way) and four hours to get back. Great countryside with some good views.
shardie
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby scockburn » Fri 08 Jul, 2011 10:41 pm

Glad to see. Did the info assist?
scockburn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby shardie » Sun 10 Jul, 2011 3:07 pm

Yes scockburn, the info was good to have at hand. I entered the coords you shared for the summits, as waypoints..............and one of the 'diversions' ;) was when we found ourselves geographically misplaced. Your coords of Worendo is what i used to get us back near the track.
shardie
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby lukeyglasso » Fri 24 Aug, 2012 12:26 am

Hey guys.

Is it possible to get the correct coordinates of the hut site or GPX file as am heading out next week. Also the coord's of the summits would be great to! I have walked to echo point camp site and seen the track that goes on to rat-a-tat so am very excited to explore some more.

Just want to have them in my gps as back up.

Cheers

Luke
lukeyglasso
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Danielclimbs » Thu 24 Aug, 2017 11:25 pm

tas-man wrote:There used to be many false leads from folk bashing around looking for the hut. It's a piece of history now.

Was there actually a hut? What was it like?
Danielclimbs
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Kent » Sat 28 Oct, 2017 2:18 pm

I overnighted in Rat-a-Tat hut in 1985 on a walk from the border crossing to Pt Danger. The hut then was three sided, clad in corrugated iron and had a raised timber floor. It kept us dry during a down pour.
Kent
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Queensland