Mt Cook on Magnetic Island?

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt Cook on Magnetic Island?

Postby gregs » Tue 17 Jan, 2012 9:57 am

Does anyone know of a track to the summit of Mt Cook on Magnetic Island? The topographic map doesn't show one.
Thanks,
Greg
gregs
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Mt Cook on Magnetic Island?

Postby nq111 » Tue 17 Jan, 2012 4:58 pm

There is no real track.

I haven't been up there but have been told you go up the normal track at the back of Nelly Bay to the watertank and then pick your way up the ridgeline off-track from there. Apparently a few scrambly bits to go round or climb depending on what you are into.
nq111
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby gregs » Fri 20 Jan, 2012 7:49 am

OK, thanks for that
gregs
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby wally55 » Wed 14 Mar, 2012 11:00 pm

Greg
I've seen the track branch on the left at the water tank and have planned to try it some time.
If you have done it, I would be curious to know how you found it?
Wal
wally55
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby gregs » Mon 23 Apr, 2012 11:12 am

My circumstances have changed and so I now won't get a chance to try this until winter. I will post on my success or failure then.
Greg
gregs
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby bauplenut » Sun 27 May, 2012 8:11 am

I was talking to someone who did this back in January. After turning left at the water tank, the track was not defined so basically scrub bashing up the ridgeline all the way.
bauplenut
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby clarence » Tue 03 Jul, 2012 12:42 pm

I visited there in 2007. The old Lonely Planet said there used to be a track to the summit (mid 90s publication).
I headed up from the water tank and there was a very faint track at the start. As it ascended over a few broad knolls the scrub got very thick in some of the saddles and there was no obvious route or track of any description. I got about 3/4 the way up to the summit and the trip out and back took probably 4.5 hours.
Overall the scrub was reasonable, but quite thick in particular places. If you allowed a full day it would be a possibility. I spoke to some locals there who had been to the summit, and they all described it as a bit of an epic daywalk. In general I would agree with nq111's and bauplenut's posts. It is a great shame the the QPWS saw the need to shut down the trail, as appears to be the case.
It is one of the few summits I have attempted and never reached.
Clarence
clarence
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Figgy » Sun 27 Apr, 2014 10:06 pm

Did this walk about 2 weeks ago. Went up to the water tank and turned left, there was no track so like bauplenut says its basically scrub bashing all the way. The scrub wasnt too bad (even though it had been raining in last few months) except for on the slopes of Mount Cook which is nothing but barbed wine vine (Smilax australis) wild raspberry (Rubus moluccanus) and thick ferns, so i would recommend wearing boots and long pants. I took the boulder scree slope behind the "hideaway resort" to get down which was quite quick, I think this way would be a lot quicker than following the ridgeline as it climbs very steeply up directly towards Mt. Cook. All up it took about 5 and a half hours, some wonderful views and terrain up there, will probably take some friends up there soon.
Figgy
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby nq111 » Mon 28 Apr, 2014 7:34 pm

Top work Figgy.

Do you have any photos of the top by any chance.
nq111

Postby Mehradzie » Thu 18 Feb, 2016 11:51 am

So where is this water tank that everybody is talking about.
Is it possible for somebody to mark it on Google maps or something for me. Would be really appreciated.

Cheers
Mehradzie
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Postby nq111 » Fri 19 Feb, 2016 5:28 pm

Below image is looking up from Nelley Bay. There is an established track up to the Water Tank - it then curves away to the right (and eventually to Horseshoe Bay) where you want to go left into the scrub. I haven't done it but the line is my rough guess of the route.

Mt Cook.jpg
Mt Cook.jpg (68.79 KiB) Viewed 29129 times
nq111

Postby bauplenut » Sat 20 Feb, 2016 6:25 pm

Can also go up Duck creek apparently. But I have only done it via the water tower. Will post trip report from 2014 in Reports section.
bauplenut
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Figgy » Fri 05 Aug, 2016 8:29 pm

I am heading to Mt. Cook tomorrow with some friends, we are going up from Duck Creek which is apparently quicker than from the water tank in Nelly. I'll take plenty of photos and let you know it goes
Figgy
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Figgy » Sun 07 Aug, 2016 9:43 am

I can confirm that the Duck Creek path is a very good way of getting up to Mt. Cook, better then from the Nelly Bay water tank imo. Although it rises steeply up towards Mt. Cook there isn't any overly hard areas to traverse and the vegetation is a lot less thick in the creek area so you don't have to bush bash through. You can follow the creek line pretty much all the way to the slopes of Mt. Cook and then a quick scrub bash up to the summit. The other advantage to the western side is the almost absence of stinging tree (Dendrocnide moroides) and barbed wire vine (Smilax australis) until the slopes of Mt. Cook, whereas on the eastern / northern side their is almost impenetrable thickets of it leading towards the summit. Anyone who has run into these plants will know how bad they are and why avoiding them is necessary.

All in all it took us just over 6 hours all up, 2.5 up and 2 back with over an hour on the summit for lunch. I may post a full trip report about it in the reports section.

I ended up taking over 80 photos so if anyone would like to see some photos or has any other questions about the trek feel free to ask.
Figgy
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Cog10101 » Tue 23 Aug, 2016 6:55 pm

Hey figgy where is the creek and is there a track from the creek to the summit from the way you went ? Would love to see some pics as well
Cog10101
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby dougwalters » Tue 13 Dec, 2016 11:20 am

Figgy wrote:I can confirm that the Duck Creek path is a very good way of getting up to Mt. Cook, better then from the Nelly Bay water tank imo. Although it rises steeply up towards Mt. Cook there isn't any overly hard areas to traverse and the vegetation is a lot less thick in the creek area so you don't have to bush bash through. You can follow the creek line pretty much all the way to the slopes of Mt. Cook and then a quick scrub bash up to the summit. The other advantage to the western side is the almost absence of stinging tree (Dendrocnide moroides) and barbed wire vine (Smilax australis) until the slopes of Mt. Cook, whereas on the eastern / northern side their is almost impenetrable thickets of it leading towards the summit. Anyone who has run into these plants will know how bad they are and why avoiding them is necessary.

All in all it took us just over 6 hours all up, 2.5 up and 2 back with over an hour on the summit for lunch. I may post a full trip report about it in the reports section.

I ended up taking over 80 photos so if anyone would like to see some photos or has any other questions about the trek feel free to ask.

Any chance I could contact you via email or something to get the full details of the hike? I'm keen to do it. Thanks Figgy!
dougwalters
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby BerryBoy » Sun 18 Dec, 2016 3:56 pm

dougwalters wrote:
Figgy wrote:I can confirm that the Duck Creek path is a very good way of getting up to Mt. Cook, better then from the Nelly Bay water tank imo. Although it rises steeply up towards Mt. Cook there isn't any overly hard areas to traverse and the vegetation is a lot less thick in the creek area so you don't have to bush bash through. You can follow the creek line pretty much all the way to the slopes of Mt. Cook and then a quick scrub bash up to the summit. The other advantage to the western side is the almost absence of stinging tree (Dendrocnide moroides) and barbed wire vine (Smilax australis) until the slopes of Mt. Cook, whereas on the eastern / northern side their is almost impenetrable thickets of it leading towards the summit. Anyone who has run into these plants will know how bad they are and why avoiding them is necessary.

Any chance I could contact you via email or something to get the full details of the hike? I'm keen to do it. Thanks Figgy!

I am also keen to do this walk and would greatly appreciate full details of the Duck Creek approach.
BerryBoy
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby chamb606 » Sat 31 Dec, 2016 6:25 pm

I would like to do this walk next week and would appreciate any notes on access routes to Mt Cook.

Cheers, in a Townsville local.
chamb606
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Figgy » Mon 01 May, 2017 6:24 pm

There is no track from Duck Creek up to Mt. Cook, you just follow the creek line and it snakes up towards the summit. As this creek passes through private property I cannot provide greater details to its location and route but its not hard to find. As there is no defined track as such I don't recommend people try this route unless they have a map or are experienced bushmen as it it quite easy to get disorientated and lost.

EDIT: For anyone wondering, yes I climbed the marker beacon at the summit, was unbelievable at the top. Don't try this please.

Here's some photos, I can only post photos less than 3MB unfortunately:
Attachments
DSC_0657.JPG
Panorama shot Horseshoe to Nelly Bay (Horseshoe on left)
DSC_0650.JPG
Horseshoe Bay from the top of the Marker Beacon
DSC_0630.JPG
Marker Beacon at the summit of Mt. Cook
DSC_0632.JPG
Looking north from the summit
DSC_0623.JPG
Cape Pallerenda from the summit (looking west)
Figgy
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby dougwalters » Tue 18 Jul, 2017 11:18 am

Hey team, did this one on the weekend. Overall I thought it was pretty straight forward for a rock and bush bash. We didn't have any real issues and the terrain is very fair to get through once you are out of the creek. Obviously people go this way as there was a rock cairn where we left the creek to head up to the ridgeline. No tape, I wish I took some to mark it out. Took the Duck Creek approach and scaled up from there. It took about 3 hours up and two hours down. Would definitely recommend doing it in Winter - the weather was lovely. If anyone wants it, I have the GPX file if you want to follow our trail.

The only recommendation is when you start going UP Duck creek, to make sure you take the right direction when it splits. We went left and had to bash across back to the actual Duck Creek when we realised our mistake.

Here's a few photos for your viewing pleasure.

20136782_10209342400788173_1050112325_n.jpg
image looking up

20137946_10209335007483345_98817794_o.jpg

20187021_10209342400748172_2010760021_o.jpg

20187272_10209342400908176_1777155735_o.jpg
dougwalters
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby tomh » Tue 18 Jul, 2017 3:15 pm

Interesting that tower on the summit. With the solar cells it appears to support radio equipment of some sort. Question is, how do the maintenance technicians get to it? I can't imagine them going on foot. Is there a helipad?
tomh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby dougwalters » Wed 19 Jul, 2017 4:35 pm

tomh wrote:Interesting that tower on the summit. With the solar cells it appears to support radio equipment of some sort. Question is, how do the maintenance technicians get to it? I can't imagine them going on foot. Is there a helipad?

Yep helipad. The picture I attached with all the people in it is actually just the clearing near the top for the chopper.
dougwalters
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby tomh » Wed 19 Jul, 2017 6:43 pm

Thanks Doug. Just for curiosity, a Google search found that the tower is Defence property and described as
"Mt Cook Obstruction Beacon (Magnetic Island) Radio/Navigational Aid Townsville QLD"
tomh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Queensland