Looking for Trails that lead to camping sites? SEQ

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Looking for Trails that lead to camping sites? SEQ

Postby BackpackDave » Sat 28 Jan, 2012 11:49 pm

Hi,
I live in Toowoomba. My friend and I are looking for tracks that lead to, or permit camping on. We would actually like to hike to a spot, then camp before coming back, and I don.t mean a circle back to some car park. Such places seem very hard to find unless going off track ...
cheers...
BackpackDave
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Looking for Trails that lead to camping sites? SEQ

Postby sjf » Sun 29 Jan, 2012 10:51 pm

Hi,
There are a lot, how far do you want to walk in a day ?

Suggestions - Lamington National Park, Green Mountains to Echo Point, camp and return, this is a loop.
Green Mountains to Binna Burra, camp at Binna Burra and return, this is the classic Lamington walk.
You could do Mt Barney, challenging and not for the new comer.

Lots ofother suggestions, depends on how far you want to walk etc ...

Cheers
sjf
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby BackpackDave » Mon 30 Jan, 2012 8:11 pm

Thx sjf,
We would like to just do a 10km walk or thereabouts. Bit unfit myself, but we have done a lot of off track hiking and I know what to expect, so its all cool there. That is 10km in one direction.
We would plan to leave as early as work would permit on a Fri then drive to location ... If I left at 12pm I would look not want to travel much more than Two hours from Toowoomba ... allowing me time to Hike for another 2 to three after that ... then an hour more to setup camp. In winter this would have us close to dark on setup. We much prefer to camp in winter! We also carry heavy packs, even at a Base weight. Despite going heavy, we take our time and use treking poles ... we can also pull up and slip our recliners ... lol ... I mean our heavy luxurious chairs of our packs for a quick break with feet up and back support.

We would not look at hiking out until Sunday morning ... So a day near some fishing hole would be awesome, but probably too much to expect. :roll:

We like to avoid large groups of people that require their cars and amenities. Up till now we have been hiking crown land and off track under a few wire fences and so on. I don't like having to do it ... but every time I ring council they keep declining our request to go hear of there ... so it is that I now ask what our option are.

Thanks for the key words you have dropped so far...I will look them up later when I have time. Once again thanks for your time.
Dave.
BackpackDave
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby kbm63 » Tue 31 Jan, 2012 12:34 pm

Have you thought of valley of the diamonds/crown nest falls area - close to Toowoomba...not sure how it will be after all this rain though.
kbm63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby pombat » Mon 06 Feb, 2012 11:42 pm

Girraween would fit the bill, some decent swimming holes after the rain as well and an easy drive from Toowoomba
pombat
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Queensland