Looking for companions for hard tassie trip

Find people to walk or share transport with. Topics deleted after 365 idle days.
Forum rules
1 This website is not a bushwalking club.
2 Users take responsibility for all actions arising from meetings made via this website.
3 Be totally self-sufficient – your own tent, stove, gear, etc.
4 Walkers under the age of 18 and/or those walking with them should raise the trip with the under 18's parents or legal guardians.
5 Please lock your thread when it is no longer needed. Moderators may lock threads without notice.
More details on these guidelines

There is a separate forum specifically for finding the Overland Track companions and transport.

Looking for companions for hard tassie trip

Postby Gpatrick » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 7:40 pm

Gday. Im looking for people interested in something hard in tasmania! Not set in what, possibly arthurs/federation peak although reading about vanishing falls? Looking at Feb or March 2018. I live in WA and havent been to Tas for lots of years so open to course/destination ideas.
Gpatrick
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Re: Looking for companions for hard tassie trip

Postby north-north-west » Wed 30 Aug, 2017 9:04 am

There's a big difference between the Arthurs and Vanishing Falls. Arthurs are tracked. Vanishing isn't.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Gpatrick » Wed 30 Aug, 2017 9:26 am

Cheers. Just researching at moment but i like challenges so harder the better.
Gpatrick
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 30 Aug, 2017 9:57 am

Is partnering up with an unfamiliar individual on an unattempted tough trip wise?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Gpatrick » Wed 30 Aug, 2017 10:13 am

I guess thats part of the challenge. Admittedly its not ideal but i dont have many friends that would be interested in this kind of thing so deperate times call for desperate measures. There eould obviously have to be "vetting" ti ensure people are capable.
Gpatrick
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Tortoise » Wed 30 Aug, 2017 11:00 am

G'day Gpatrick. To give people an idea of what kind of level you're talking about, what would be the hardest walk you've done?
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Gpatrick » Wed 30 Aug, 2017 11:39 am

Havent done many hard walks but plenty of endurance stuff. Ironman triathlons 100km ultra marathon solo cycle of Gubb River road Everest base camp trek carrying all own gear Avin Decent, ex military adventurous training instructor so associated pack marches.
Try and pick something challenging each year to work towards.
Gpatrick
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby stepbystep » Wed 30 Aug, 2017 12:42 pm

Good endurance and mental toughness will help, navigating in thick, wet, triple head high scrub is another story and a test it seems you are unlikely to have had yet.

If you wanted to give Vanishing Falls a crack, head in over Mt Bobs and if it's all a bit hard by the time you get to the first of Bobs Knobs you can turn back, getting that far will be a hard, and awesome trip as it is. Turning back if out of your depth is far more of a win than continuing on and being choppered out...A trip through the Arthurs would be far better advised...

I would never sign up to a trip like this with someone I hadn't walked with off track before, I'd advise everyone against joining you ! Sorry :)
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Gpatrick » Wed 30 Aug, 2017 12:58 pm

Thanks for the input. As with everything preparation is key (physical, equipment and knowledge) and all three will be covered off thoroughly. Arthurs were my initial thought. Have climbed the face of fed peak years ago but we choppered in and walked out.
Gpatrick
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby north-north-west » Wed 30 Aug, 2017 6:41 pm

Gpatrick wrote: As with everything preparation is key (physical, equipment and knowledge) and all three will be covered off thoroughly.

The only real preparation for tackling SW Tasmanian scrub is tackling slightly easier SW Tasmanian scrub, which is best sidled into by tackling slightly easier Tasmanian scrub elsewhere.

Arthurs were my initial thought. Have climbed the face of fed peak years ago but we choppered in and walked out.

A full Arthurs traverse including all the named peaks will give you a good workout. Hesperus, Capella Crags, Hayes, Procyon, Orion, Sirius, Pegasus, Pegasus South, Capricorn, Dorado, Columba, Dragon, Shaula, Taurus, Aldebaran, Scorpio, Carina, Sculptor, Canopus, Phoenix, Centaurus Ridge, West Portal, Crags of Andromeda, Lucifer Ridge . . . and that's just the Western Arthurs. Then Boiler Plates, The Dial, East Portal, Gables, Four Peaks, Devils Thumb, Fedders, Geeves Bluff . . . oh, and the Needles is there somewhere too. Then walk out via Farmhouse Creek and do a sidetrip up Bobs and the Boomerang, and you can check out the scrub on the way out to Bobs Knobs and think about whether you really do want to get to Vanishing Falls one day . . .
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Gpatrick » Wed 30 Aug, 2017 7:00 pm

Looks like arthurs it is then :) quite happy to take advice from those in the know.
Gpatrick
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby andrewa » Wed 30 Aug, 2017 9:50 pm

Yeah, I have done plenty of 10 day wilderness fly fishing trips in remote bits of NZ, but I have always chosen my fishing partner very carefully. You need to trust them absolutely, and they you. It's a bit like choosing a life partner, without the emotional stuff that goes with being heterosexual.

I'm not sure how the women on this forum feel, but, from my point of view ( wife and 4 daughters), a simple trip with another bloke is just lovely. No significant chat. What you say is what you mean. Simple.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Postby Lizzy » Thu 31 Aug, 2017 3:40 pm

What exactly do you mean Andrew? ;)
Lizzy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby north-north-west » Sun 03 Sep, 2017 2:23 pm

Meh, last time I walked with someone he kept bitching that I wasn't discussing things sufficiently. *&%$#! chatterbox . . .
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Wollemi » Thu 21 Sep, 2017 1:06 pm

GPSGuided wrote:Is partnering up with an unfamiliar individual on an unattempted tough trip wise?

The fourth time I kayaked across Bass Strait, my friend met the other guy from Queensland at 6pm at Melbourne airport for the first time. I had only met him the day before. Midday next day, we were paddling as a team of three. My friend and our new friend had not kayaked Bass strait previously.
Live everyday as if it were your last... one day you will be right.
Wollemi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Find Walking Companions or Arrange Transport