Larapinta June 2017

Find people to walk or share transport with. Topics deleted after 365 idle days.
Forum rules
1 This website is not a bushwalking club.
2 Users take responsibility for all actions arising from meetings made via this website.
3 Be totally self-sufficient – your own tent, stove, gear, etc.
4 Walkers under the age of 18 and/or those walking with them should raise the trip with the under 18's parents or legal guardians.
5 Please lock your thread when it is no longer needed. Moderators may lock threads without notice.
More details on these guidelines

There is a separate forum specifically for finding the Overland Track companions and transport.

Larapinta June 2017

Postby Tina 2905 » Fri 25 Nov, 2016 6:47 pm

Hi there,

I'm planning to do the end-to-end Larapinta next June and I'm looking for some traveling companions to join me.

I'd like to do in over 12-14 days, accounting for a rest day or two depending on how we're tracking.

I'm a 30 year old professional Sydney girl with a partner who is more of a indoor/computer kind of guy.

Cheers,

Tina
Tina 2905
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Larapinta June 2017

Postby weeds » Sat 26 Nov, 2016 4:45 pm

My wife would be keen however getting holidays would be the issue as we are burning them up over XMAS and Feb
weeds
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby lseries92 » Wed 07 Dec, 2016 8:22 am

Hi Tina.

I have been planning to walk the trail next year E2E solo starting around the middle of June but would be interested joining a small group if one is going around the same time.

Please feel free to contact me if you (or anyone else) are interested. David.
lseries92
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby fatboyboy » Sun 01 Jan, 2017 1:51 am

17 to 18 days may be more comfortable. Although the walk is not that hard it can be slow going because of the terrain inside the gorges. The one thing I will never forget about this walk was the number of people breaking their necks to do it in 12 days. The parks services divide the walk into sections which are displayed on notice boards along the hike. Hikers try to do one section each day even though, on the same notice boards, the parks services write very clearly that they don't recommend doing this.

Ps. to anyone interested in doing the walk- dont shell out good money to the hiking tourist companies that detract from the experience of the trail- you don't need food drops for this walk (You can buy food at Orminston gorge - although it is a rip off it will still be cheaper than paying someone to do a food drop. Their selection is limited but if you phone the camp site operator in advance he would probably buy the food for you from Alice and then charge you triple for it when you get there). You can also buy food at one of the other gorges a few days a long the trail at a more reasonable price. You don't need to pay a guide - just buy a guide book (the trail is reasonably well marked, there are so many people on it that you will never get lost for long- especially on the later sections, most of the points where you feel like you might get lost are in gorges so you cant really go too far wrong because you are contained in a set area). You don't need to pay extortionate money to a tour operator to get a lift from Red Banks Gorge to the outstation (I forget the name now). There are plenty of people driving up to the gorges on day trips who would be prepared to drive you there or back to Alice if they are going that way. From the outstation you will definitely get a lift if you have patience and ask around. It is better to ask at Red Banks or the outstation for lifts rather than walk along the road.
fatboyboy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby north-north-west » Mon 02 Jan, 2017 1:22 pm

fatboyboy wrote:17 to 18 days may be more comfortable. Although the walk is not that hard it can be slow going because of the terrain inside the gorges. The one thing I will never forget about this walk was the number of people breaking their necks to do it in 12 days. The parks services divide the walk into sections which are displayed on notice boards along the hike. Hikers try to do one section each day even though, on the same notice boards, the parks services write very clearly that they don't recommend doing this.

:?:
I had the equivalent of 11 1/2 walking days and that included a lot of sidetrips, backtracking and one long loop for the first section (Wallaby Gap - Flynns Grave - Alice - Telegraph Station - Wallaby Gap). If you're walk fit 12 days is plenty.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Graham51 » Fri 06 Jan, 2017 8:05 pm

We did it in July 2016 in 14 days and did all the side trips. We are both reasonably fit mid-sixty year olds. As long as you're reasonably track fit you should do it in that time. Our only issue was some blisters which stopped two of our party but the remaining three just sucked it up and continued on. What some people we met on the track did was hire a car to go out and do food drops the day before they started. One man about my age and also from Tasmania did this and he was walking out and back. The advantage of that is he got to do the track twice but only needed to climb Mt Sonder once. We also met some gentlemen both over 70 who were doing it one section a day, so about 18 or 19 days all up.
Graham51
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby MrFaulty » Sun 08 Jan, 2017 6:47 pm

Hi, I may be interested but won't know for sure for a couple of weeks - I was hoping to do the GR20 in May but my mate cancelled. If I can find someone to do this with I will proceed but otherwise I would be happy to join your group. I am a 38 year old who has done a lot of walking but want a real challenge as I have realised I have been a bit boring so far lol

Cheers
Ben
MrFaulty
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby fatboyboy » Wed 11 Jan, 2017 1:23 am

Chapman suggests 17-18 days in the introduction to his guidebook for the trail. I can be 100% honest about what I see on the trail because I am still recovering from structural injuries to the hips and a tightening of the spine and so I am just happy to be out there and do these walks without having to worry about what other people think. I can honestly say that I saw a lot of people struggling to do this walk in 12 days. I was tempted to describe some of the different groups that I met along the way but I think that this is not fair on them and not a very dignified thing to do. I guess you will have to make your own mind up. I did the trail, all side trips and no food drops, in around 16 fairly lazy days. I spent one day waiting for clouds to clear off Mt. Sonder so that I could get some views. If that kind of thing is important you might want to factor in an extra day in case of this. Alice Springs is also not a cheap place to get to so there is no point rushing through the hike. The Larapinta is not really a real challenge unless you run it or do it in the middle of summer of course- the trail is never far from a road, there are loads of people on it and water is provided. Maybe the AAWT is worth considering or something off track.
fatboyboy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby MrFaulty » Wed 11 Jan, 2017 1:39 pm

Thanks, I think I may stick with th GR20 - further research suggests it is a walk which can be done solo.

Cheers
Ben
MrFaulty
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Andrew » Sat 14 Jan, 2017 10:08 pm

Hi Tina,

I am keen to walk the trail in June too but will go steady aiming for at least 20 days to explore everything.
Think I might go West to East to make transport easy.
Maybe we could link up to share the transport as it is expensive for a solo walker.

Cheers,
Andrew
Andrew
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Gavi » Sun 07 May, 2017 6:02 pm

Hi guys,

I'm also keen to walk the trail in June and aiming for 20 days or so. Partner has just had a commitment come up that she can't get out of. I'd love to walk with someone else just to split a little weight and share transportation costs.

Cheers
Gavi
Gavi
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Postby Andrew » Tue 09 May, 2017 10:12 am

Hi Gavi,

I was going solo - West to East and had planned Mt Giles etc.

A couple of weeks ago my wife got keen when the maps arrived and the planning process began and she is now coming too.

We have decided to now walk East to West as the difficulty builds better as she is not a bushwalker and in fact the last time she carried a pack was 12 years ago on the Overland Track for her 40th birthday :)

We are booked on flights for the 29th May arriving at noon and walking on the 30th but have no return flights booked and will take as long as needed to complete as we found a house sitter.

We are going to cater for 25 days on the trail including 4 days off and will have a relaxing holiday reading Kindles to fill in the time.

Our plan is to book return flights when we finish and hitch back to Alice (or book a transfer the next day if no luck hitching) so we won't be much help sharing transport and we will need to be independent as far as gear goes with the unknown timing.

If you wanted to walk with us for the first few days to get you going you would be welcome.

Cheers,
Andrew
Andrew
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby lseries92 » Wed 10 May, 2017 10:07 pm

Hi Gavi

Not sure exactly what time in June you were intending to walk but I have been planning on walking East to West starting somewhere between the 15th-20th June with the aim of taking about 17-18 days. Unfortunately my job is threatening to get in the road so I will not be able to confirm for a few weeks but I thought I would mention it in case this time frame may match yours.

Regards,
David
lseries92
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Gavi » Sat 13 May, 2017 4:30 pm

Hey guys-- thanks for the patience; I've been without internet for a few days.

Andrew-- my last day of work is the 29th so I would need a day or two more to make it up to Alice Springs but thanks for getting back!

David-- That may JUST work-- my visa is up on the 15th of July so I'm definitely looking at starting earlier, but keep me posted...
Gavi
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Return to Find Walking Companions or Arrange Transport