Outdoors / hiking club in Melbourne?

Find people to walk or share transport with. Topics deleted after 365 idle days.
Forum rules
1 This website is not a bushwalking club.
2 Users take responsibility for all actions arising from meetings made via this website.
3 Be totally self-sufficient – your own tent, stove, gear, etc.
4 Walkers under the age of 18 and/or those walking with them should raise the trip with the under 18's parents or legal guardians.
5 Please lock your thread when it is no longer needed. Moderators may lock threads without notice.
More details on these guidelines

There is a separate forum specifically for finding the Overland Track companions and transport.

Outdoors / hiking club in Melbourne?

Postby nezumi » Sun 02 Apr, 2017 12:25 pm

Can anyone recommend an outdoors or adventure style group in Melbourne?

I think I would look towards a group with a tendency towards ultralight style hiking, rather than a slow, laden type of hiking. I have not done any decent hiking/camping since I was in the Duke of Ed program many many years ago, but I have still maintained a decent level of fitness. I just don't know many people who would be keen on joining me on multi-day walks.

As someone who is keen to go bikepacking, I am eager to find some companions in that area too. I am aware of the Melbourne Bicycle Touring Club, but I do get the feeling that they would cycle at a lower pace than I would like, and I would get frustrated.

Location wise, I am based in Bundoora, but would be interested in doing overnight or multi-day walks anywhere around Melbourne.
nezumi
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Outdoors / hiking club in Melbourne?

Postby bernieq » Sun 02 Apr, 2017 10:41 pm

There is a complete list of bushwalking clubs (and website links) at : http://www.bushwalkingvictoria.org.au/club-directory

Do some research by looking at a club's trips program (and past trip reports) to gain an idea of what they do and how active. Narrow the list down to a few clubs and call the contact.

BTW, it's not just you accepting them, generally clubs will assess you over the course of a few walks. I'd guess your experience level is low (D of E is pretty limited) so don't write off older, experienced bushwalkers as they have a lot of knowledge to share.
Climate Change is like Gravity - ignoring it doesn't make it go away.
bernieq
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby nezumi » Thu 06 Apr, 2017 8:33 am

I had a look at the list, but it doesn't really provide much illumination into the nature of each club, nor does it provide any personal insight from people who may have been members, but left for whatever reason. It also doesn't seem to indicate any clubs that have a broader area of interest than purely bushwalking (where I would like to try my hand at other outdoorsy activities like kayaking, rock climbing etc, as well as the aforementioned cycling).

As far as my experience, I have let my nav skills slip out of use in the intervening years, but from being a hike leader on 5-day DoE hikes to my time establishing and running a school cadet unit while I was in year 11-12 and helping out for a while after, I am reasonably confident. I wouldn't go tackling the AAWT on my own, but I have planned a few 4 day backcountry cycle trips quite happily - even if my trip from Ballarat to Bendigo ended up being a very short one as a result of underestimating my companions riding speed and overestimating the difficulty of the road surface.

While I am happy to take on words of wisdom, I don't want to find myself in a situation where I am told that my pack is way too small, you need at least a 65L pack for multi-day hikes, etc.
nezumi
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby bernieq » Sun 07 May, 2017 8:52 pm

bernieq wrote:Do some research by looking at a club's trips program (and past trip reports) to gain an idea of what they do and how active. Narrow the list down to a few clubs and call the contact.

What I suggested was more than just looking at the list of clubs.

Go to the clubs' website and look at their trip calendar and photos to get an idea of the sort of trips they do. Read previous trip reports. Then select a few and call the club contact and talk to them.
Climate Change is like Gravity - ignoring it doesn't make it go away.
bernieq
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Find Walking Companions or Arrange Transport