Hiking buddy in South East Melbourne

Find people to walk or share transport with. Topics deleted after 365 idle days.
Forum rules
1 This website is not a bushwalking club.
2 Users take responsibility for all actions arising from meetings made via this website.
3 Be totally self-sufficient – your own tent, stove, gear, etc.
4 Walkers under the age of 18 and/or those walking with them should raise the trip with the under 18's parents or legal guardians.
5 Please lock your thread when it is no longer needed. Moderators may lock threads without notice.
More details on these guidelines

There is a separate forum specifically for finding the Overland Track companions and transport.

Hiking buddy in South East Melbourne

Postby jeffery » Sat 13 May, 2017 1:35 pm

Hi all,

I am fairly new to the hiking world. So far I have limited myself to small hikes in the Dandenongs. My next big step is hiking in the Bunyip State Park, which I am doing tomorrow. If anyone is keen to join in, it would make it more fun. I am also a bird/wildlife photographer.
jeffery
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Hiking buddy in South East Melbourne

Postby AWTtrekker » Sat 13 May, 2017 10:24 pm

Maybe join a bushwalking club? My dad has recently joined the Maroondah Bush Walking Club in order to do a few more walks to get fit for a big walk we are doing in a few months. They do walks all over the place.
AWTtrekker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby jeffery » Mon 15 May, 2017 11:47 pm

Thanks AWTtrekker, I will give that a shot. I have joined couple of meetup groups but they all seem to be for experienced walkers o_0
jeffery
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby AWTtrekker » Wed 17 May, 2017 8:13 pm

I know Maroondah do a real mix of walks, dad has passed on a few because they were a bit easier than what he is now pegging for but some have suited perfectly.
AWTtrekker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby jeffery » Sat 20 May, 2017 12:45 pm

Happy to report that I hiked in the Bunyip State park last weekend. Ended up doing a 22km hike, my personal best so far.
jeffery
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby GregR » Sat 20 May, 2017 5:24 pm

jeffery wrote:Happy to report that I hiked in the Bunyip State park last weekend. Ended up doing a 22km hike, my personal best so far.

Hi Jeffery,

I personally love the Bunyip area. Been walking there on and off for the last 6 years and still finding new areas to explore. Some excellent territory over near the Weatherhead ranges where I have yet to see another soul.

The area around the 4 brothers rocks and Burgess Rd track and the trails down both sides of the range are all worth exploring.

Throw in the nearby Kurth Kiln area and Powelltown walks and you have a veritable feast of exploring ahead of you.

if you have not already got the rooftops map of the area I suggest you grab one for ideas.

If you just walked 22kms around that area I wouldn't be too put off by your preconceived idea that clubs are for experienced people, clubs are places to get to meet like minded people and gain experience. Depending on where in the SE you live you have the choice of many- Maroondah, Waverley, Dandenong Valley, Bunarong (Seaford) or Peninsula. All cater for all levels.

BYW:Where did you walk, which trails and any photos to share??

Cheers Greg
GregR
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jeffery » Sat 20 May, 2017 11:55 pm

Hi Greg,

I only discovered Bunyip State park last week through Parks Victoria website. I did map out two routes for the day and ended up on the longer route. I have attached original planned route below:
IMG_20170513_134025.jpg
The Plan

So I started off from Burgess Road and did an anti-clockwise route. I did miss a turn which extended my route by an another hour :roll: . The last hour of the hike was pretty intense :oops: as shown in my hike analysis below:
Screenshot_20170520-230414.png
Analysis

Honestly I didn't come across a single soul in the park on the day (Understandably it was Mother's day!)

In the process of analysing my hike I also discovered a nice path mapping tool http://www.mappedometer.com
Here is my hike mapped out:
http://www.mappedometer.com/routes/prin ... &mapsize=3

I did carry my camera gear to capture some Yellow-tailed black cockatoo's, unfortunately I was pressed for time as it was turning dark pretty quickly. Some trail pictures attached below:
IMG_20170514_143712.jpg
Burgess Road

IMG_20170514_161109.jpg
Two Dams Track

IMG_20170514_165159.jpg
Mushrooms

Looking forward to exploring more of Bunyip state park :)

I will checkout the rooftops maps. I am in Rowville so not too far from all the suggested places to explore.
jeffery
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby GregR » Wed 24 May, 2017 2:43 pm

Looks like a decent old walk you did there.

The 2nd walk you have mapped out also covers some great terrain with a few really good lookouts.

If you do a walk starting at Mortimers you can do an improvised loop including the William Wallace Track Tree Fern Track and back via Ferres Track.
Enjoy.

Greg
Attachments
Bunyip Sand Ridge views.JPG
Bunyip Boulders near Wm Wallace.JPG
GregR
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Solohike74 » Mon 05 Jun, 2017 3:12 pm

The Prom is great this time of the year as its not busy and its about 3 hours driving from Cranbourne. Do get in touch if wanting to walk the Prom as I'm always open to shared travel to the Prom.
Solohike74
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA; Friends of: Bogong, The Prom, Cobberas, Baw Baw
Region: Australia

Postby jeffery » Fri 09 Jun, 2017 11:09 pm

@Solohike74, I haven't done the Prom during this time of the year. Will get in touch if I plan a trip that way.

@AWTtrekker, I managed to join couple of groups via Meetup.com (Hardcore Hikers and Trail Blazers). Did my first group hike to the Cathedral ranges and it was great meeting like minded people.
jeffery
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Stevestribe » Wed 14 Jun, 2017 10:06 am

Hi I have a hikers and campers page on fb for both beginners and intermediate hikers everyone's welcome, link on my profile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stevestribe
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Find Walking Companions or Arrange Transport