Forum proposal Find Walking Companions/Arrange Tspt

Find people to walk or share transport with. Topics deleted after 365 idle days.
Forum rules
1 This website is not a bushwalking club.
2 Users take responsibility for all actions arising from meetings made via this website.
3 Be totally self-sufficient – your own tent, stove, gear, etc.
4 Walkers under the age of 18 and/or those walking with them should raise the trip with the under 18's parents or legal guardians.
5 Please lock your thread when it is no longer needed. Moderators may lock threads without notice.
More details on these guidelines

There is a separate forum specifically for finding the Overland Track companions and transport.

Forum proposal Find Walking Companions/Arrange Tspt

Postby MickyB » Mon 29 May, 2017 6:26 pm

Many posts in the Find Walking Companions or Arrange Transport forum are about the Overland Track, so the Mod team is proposing a new forum solely for the OLT. We would like to hear suggestions from members about this idea. Some discussion points:
1 Is this desirable?
2 Where on the forum should this be located – as a forum in Tasmania equal to the current trip reports and OLT forums, or as a sub forum of OLT?

If we find that this new forum is successful we could introduce new state-based ‘Find Walking Companions or Arrange Transport’ (FWCAT) and eliminate the existing forum.
3 What would members prefer?
4 Are there more advantages than disadvantages or is the current forum adequate?
5 If we had a state-based sub forum would we require FWCAT Tasmania as well as FWCAT OLT?

Views on the above would be valued.
I nearly had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before I met her.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Re: Forum proposal Find Walking Companions/Arrange Tspt

Postby Suz » Mon 29 May, 2017 8:13 pm

1. Yeah I think it makes sense. However, the whole lift thingo tho is not well utilised and is perhaps better off being re-thought / reorganised rather than just moved / segregated by state. I mean there is that little trip EOI tool on this site that seems very little used and a bit out of the way and if it could be re-adjusted a bit and more obvious on the site - it has three potential to be handy for those of us with flexible dates. Anyhow, just a thought. A bit of redevelopment there could be worthwhile for those of us offering / requiring lifts.

2. It is not important to me personally.
3. No preference.
4. Do not foresee any advantage or disadvantage to the current way.
5. Mmmm I'd say yeah.
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby philm » Tue 30 May, 2017 8:04 am

Hi
I have noticed many people already post requests for transport and or walking companions in the OLT section or Tasmania section. This tends to pollute the existing forum topics so it might be worth while adding a new sub-forum in Tasmania to People looking for transport and walking companions. This might not be limited to the OLT but any walk in Tasmania as often I think people will consider other trips if they can find transport and / or walking companions. If this sub-forum is created then people should be discouraged from making similar posts in the OLT and other sub-forums ion Tasmania and even have their posts moved if they post to the incorrect area.

In relation to the other states I am not sure the volume will justify separate sub-forums so might be best keeping the existing forum and marking it Find Walking companions (trips outside Tasmania) or similar.
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby oldmanwalking » Tue 30 May, 2017 8:35 am

My two penny worth.....I would like to see a sub-division of states just to make it easier to find Walking Companions or Arrange Transport, but as I say this is just a personal preference.

Other than that I think the system works well.

As an aside I think it would be good to have more members. or perhaps a social media blitz to encourage more members, and thus more options to find walking companions and/or transport wherever you come from, or indeed, are going to.
Trekking: Its all about the memories
oldmanwalking
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby whitefang » Tue 30 May, 2017 9:29 am

I don't see it being worth it. For newer members I see it being more confusing about where they need to post. If people just use the title of their post to quickly describe where they are needing transport or meeting new people then all the posts are in one central location.
whitefang
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Mark F » Tue 30 May, 2017 1:54 pm

While I don't like too much splitting up of forums into subforums there are a large number of OLT posts about transport etc, I expect the best thing is to provide a Transport and Walking Companions(TWC) subforum under each Local Track forum other than International (I don't think the section gets enough posts to warrant). The existing TWC forum should be locked with a message to see and post in the relevant State TWC subforum.

In the Tasmanian TWC forum there should be a non-postable sticky that deals with the OLT describing the transport options and perhaps a suggested title structure similar to that used in the Market Square forum. Perhaps the title of the Tasmanian TWC forum should be "Tasmania and OLT Transport and Walking Companions".
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby MickyB » Tue 30 May, 2017 6:37 pm

Thanks everyone. Some great feedback and happy to still hear suggestions.

Suz wrote:I mean there is that little trip EOI tool on this site that seems very little used and a bit out of the way and if it could be re-adjusted a bit and more obvious on the site - it has three potential to be handy for those of us with flexible dates.

Any suggestions on how this could be improved ad how we can make it more obvious?

Mark F wrote:there are a large number of OLT posts about transport etc,

whitefang wrote: For newer members I see it being more confusing about where they need to post.

A lot of members are confused where to currently post for the OLT. Many members post in Overland Track and Cradle Mountain and so mods have to move posts to Find Walking Companions or Arrange Transport (we generally keep a shadow in place so the post can be read in both forums). There are currently 18 posts (over 1/3) on the first page of FWCAT related to OLT. Our proposal is to have a dedicated OLT FWCAT which will keep all of these posts together, making it easier for members to find hiking buddies, arrange dates, arrange transport etc. If we keep the existing FWCAT but create a FWCAT-OLT we can set up links to send members to the correct forum.
I nearly had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before I met her.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Suz » Wed 31 May, 2017 9:58 am

For adjusting the Bushwalk Meetup Tool --- well I haven't thought in any depth but certain things stand out that could be improved:

1) for visibility - give it a pinned post in this particular sub forum - as it is located in the 'pink' highlighted area, I tend just to scroll over it down to listings ...it took me like about 18mths on this site to even notice it's existence. I should imagine I'm not the only one, given its lack of use.

2) when you go into the actual tool
A) seems to have out of date listings - these could be removed / or date listings could be in reverse order so that new ones are at the top OR
B) you could set filters so that the user could adjust the order of listings or e.g. Listings by trail name / area. (You know in the same way that you do when you put a filter on a column in Excel).
C) you could divide up into two areas i) lifts offered /wanted and ii) trail companions sought, as these are quite different things IMO.
D) most importantly, i think the tool should allow for significantly more detail. If easier, it could continue to appear as a list when viewing the 'front page' but if you click on the trip itself, it would be helpful to see additional info such as a section of comments on the proposed trip.

I think with effective re-design it could be more useful than the more often used FWCAT.
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby peregrinator » Wed 31 May, 2017 10:26 am

Completely agree with point 1 by Suz. I've never noticed the link until now.

On point 2, I agree, up to a point. That point being that there needs to be some explanation of what the tool is actually doing. That's not entirely clear to me. Perhaps it is all just a bit too complicated. I don't see a problem with continuing with the current format; a simple statement of intent or desire.

Finally, I do not favour making this state-based. As it now stands, one can simply pass over posts which may have no interest, but it is also possible to learn about proposals offered in states outside one's own which may have some appeal.
peregrinator
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby neilmny » Thu 01 Jun, 2017 3:35 pm

peregrinator wrote:.........Finally, I do not favour making this state-based. As it now stands, one can simply pass over posts which may have no interest, but it is also possible to learn about proposals offered in states outside one's own which may have some appeal.

This is a very good point in my view.

I was thinking that sperating into regions rather than states might be a worthwhile enhancement.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 02 Jun, 2017 7:27 am

Until now I didn't know about that "Meet-Up" tool
That could be more prominent
Other than that I've nothing to add
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby leekelly420 » Wed 14 Jun, 2017 1:19 pm

Good system the way it is. Still need a lift from Davenport on Thursday the 29th of June though :D
leekelly420
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: IRATA

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 22 Jun, 2017 7:17 am

Given many if not most OLT transport requests have been from non-regulars i.e. Less familiar with the forum setup, it makes sense to setup the sub forum under TAS and OLT. However, can the site SW support aliasing of the subforum back to the general location? This would solve the problem of capturing all comers. Just a suggestion.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Find Walking Companions or Arrange Transport