Lift Offered - July 2017 - Larapinta area

Find people to walk or share transport with. Topics deleted after 365 idle days.
Forum rules
1 This website is not a bushwalking club.
2 Users take responsibility for all actions arising from meetings made via this website.
3 Be totally self-sufficient – your own tent, stove, gear, etc.
4 Walkers under the age of 18 and/or those walking with them should raise the trip with the under 18's parents or legal guardians.
5 Please lock your thread when it is no longer needed. Moderators may lock threads without notice.
More details on these guidelines

There is a separate forum specifically for finding the Overland Track companions and transport.

Lift Offered - July 2017 - Larapinta area

Postby Suz » Tue 13 Jun, 2017 12:13 pm

Dates TBC but I am heading to Alice for the Larapinta in roughly the 2nd week of July.

If you are going up then and would like a lift with your food drops, I am happy to give you one. I could fit max 2 people with food and gear in addition to my own stuff in the car.

I am going to drive from Alice and do food drops at the three usual spots - Standley, Ellery and either Ormiston or Glen Helen. I will leave the car at Glen Helen and hitch back to Alice and walk E-W.

It would probably make sense for anyone wanting a lift to walk W-E. You might even be able to hitch from Glen Helen to Redbank Gorge or just walk that section both ways.

After the walk I will go pick up my food drop tins and I don't mind picking up yours as well while I'm there. It's really no extra effort but then you lose the tins themselves unless there's somewhere in Alice I can drop them for you (assuming you were hanging around in Alice for a while after hiking).

As I'm not sure of my dates, this would only make sense for someone who's a bit flexible. If you're on a tight schedule, I'm not your best option.

If perchance, you get to Alice in early/mid July and you haven't sorted your food drops yet, feel free to PM me...I may or may not be able to help you out.
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Lift Offered - July 2017 - Larapinta area

Postby Mark F » Tue 13 Jun, 2017 1:11 pm

I can also make a similar offer. I expect to be in Alice Springs on 22/23 July (tbc) and will do a food drop run (same locations) plus Redbank Gorge before returning to Alice and walking E-W over 17 days.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Suz » Wed 28 Jun, 2017 8:26 pm

Update...trip likely to start in 1st or 2nd week July.
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mark F » Tue 04 Jul, 2017 3:41 pm

Update on my post above. Just had to put the trip back one week. Should be putting in the food drops on 28 July and collecting them on 17 August (from Alice Springs).
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Suz » Wed 05 Jul, 2017 5:54 pm

Headed from Alice to Glen Helen tomorrow...if you need a lift, PM me.
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby vernicosa » Wed 12 Jul, 2017 9:14 am

Hi Mark
I'd like to take up your offer of lift and food deposits in prep for a W to E walk.
28th suits me but would like to discuss details soonish before I book a flight to Alice.
vernicosa
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Mark F » Thu 13 Jul, 2017 1:23 pm

Vernicosa - I have pm'ed you.
Mark F
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Suz » Thu 20 Jul, 2017 4:20 pm

Hey Mark...did you know that the Alice Springs regatta is on the 19th Aug this year? Might make an entertaining end to your trip :)
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mark F » Thu 20 Jul, 2017 4:32 pm

Thanks Suz. Unfortunately I will have left Alice before the 19th and should be somewhere on the Oodnadatta Track having a look at the mound springs that have always fascinated me.
Mark F
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Find Walking Companions or Arrange Transport