Hobart to Farmhouse Creek

Find people to walk or share transport with. Topics deleted after 365 idle days.
Forum rules
1 This website is not a bushwalking club.
2 Users take responsibility for all actions arising from meetings made via this website.
3 Be totally self-sufficient – your own tent, stove, gear, etc.
4 Walkers under the age of 18 and/or those walking with them should raise the trip with the under 18's parents or legal guardians.
5 Please lock your thread when it is no longer needed. Moderators may lock threads without notice.
More details on these guidelines

There is a separate forum specifically for finding the Overland Track companions and transport.

Hobart to Farmhouse Creek

Postby farefam » Mon 02 Oct, 2023 5:55 pm

I am checking out transport options with a service provider, but if I am unsuccessful with that, is anyone already planning to travel from either Hobart to Farmhouse Creek or from Geeveston to Farmhouse Creek on Dec 24 or a few days later???

I am planning a difficult bushwalking and packrafting trip in the area, so any help with getting there would be much appreciated.

I am an interstate member of the forum.

By the way, is the road still out before Farmhouse Creek or has that been fixed.

Regards
Richard
farefam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Hobart to Farmhouse Creek

Postby north-north-west » Mon 02 Oct, 2023 6:03 pm

The road is closed about 7km from the start, and the footbridge over the creek is also closed so you have to wade. Neither issue is likely to be fixed soon (if ever). I wouldn't be surprised if this was deliberate by TasPAWS to reduce visitation.
I may be going in there around that time (weather dependant, and more likely a bit earlier, but you never know), so if you can't get anything else organised, let me know.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby wander » Tue 03 Oct, 2023 8:45 am

The Farmhouse Creek bridge is closed? Is it closed like with tape and a sign OR is actually collapsed or washed away?
wander
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: South Australia

Postby north-north-west » Tue 03 Oct, 2023 9:55 am

wander wrote:The Farmhouse Creek bridge is closed? Is it closed like with tape and a sign OR is actually collapsed or washed away?

I don't know. Just passing on the official info from TasPAWS.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby farefam » Tue 03 Oct, 2023 4:42 pm

Hi there,

A transport provider who runs services (mostly pick ups rather than drop offs at Farmhouse Creek) told me today that the road is closed 3.5 kilometres before the bridge, which adds an hours walk. I have no knowledge as to the state of the bridge at the creek itself, but that is not really an issue. I may put in a pending reservation and see if anyone else wants to also jump aboard in the meantime, or I may get in touch with you NNW closer to the time.

Cheers everyone
farefam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Last » Tue 03 Oct, 2023 8:51 pm

I think the transport provider is not up to date. The TasPAWS website announced this last May. They refer to the Sustainable Timbers website https://sttas.com.au/road-track-closures
To save you the trouble, here is the text from the site

West Picton Road

In the interest of public safety, West Picton Road is closed (just prior to Riveaux Creek) to all vehicular traffic due to the deterioration of several structures along the road.
The Eastern Arthur Range Traverse (Farmhouse Creek Track) and the Mt Picton Track will remain open to bushwalkers with the development of a vehicle turn around and car parking bay at the junction of the West Picton Road closure location (just prior to Riveaux Creek) provided by Tasmania Parks and Wildlife Service and Sustainable Timber Tasmania.
The Eastern Arthur Range Traverse (The Farmhouse Creek Track) will require (approximately) an extra 7.4km (one way) walk along West Picton Road from its closure.
The Mt Picton Track will require (approximately) an extra 7km (return) walk along West Picton Road and then West Picton Road Spur 1-2 from its closure.
noen ganger er det godt å være alene i villmarken
Last
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby CBee » Wed 04 Oct, 2023 7:50 am

There used to be a sign at the beginning of the pedestrian bridge at Farmhouse creek trailhead: "no cars allowed on the bridge".
CBee

Region: Queensland

Postby farefam » Thu 19 Oct, 2023 1:26 pm

Hi there,

I have been lucky enough to get a shared mini bus booking with Tasmanian Wilderness Transport. However, I had to shift my start date to Jan 2, 2024. So if anyone else is thinking of wanting to go to Fed Peak via Farmhouse, I'd suggest you consider that date as there are currently no other bookings in January.

For anyone considering trying to get transport to or from Farmhouse Creek, please note that transport bookings seem to be few and far between. The other option is to catch a Tassielink bus to Huonville and then a private taxi from Huonville onwards. However, that would be quite expensive. Unfortunately their Facebook post says that Southern Taxis do not have a taxi operator in Geeveston any more.

Thanks for the earlier replies.
farefam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CBee » Thu 19 Oct, 2023 9:32 pm

Uber car share
CBee

Region: Queensland

Return to Find Walking Companions or Arrange Transport