Bibbulmun Track end to end in spring 2019

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Bibbulmun Track end to end in spring 2019

Postby Rileyr » Fri 14 Jun, 2019 12:22 pm

I was initially only going to take a full length ebay UL alfoil one for 65g. I tried it for a couple of nights in the vic alpine region and stayed warm enough, but it wasnt overly comfy!

The z-lite is the most comfy mat I have tried so far. I reckon the z-lite for the torso will be good enough, and the alfoil for the legs just to help them warm.

Ive spent weeks on pretty average mats in the past!

I am a bit afraid to try inflatable because i am worried i wont be able to go back to CCF.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Rileyr » Thu 20 Jun, 2019 1:44 pm

Got to test out our new gear.

Mon and I tested our mats, quilts, balaclavas and jackets last night.

We ran low on funds and decided not to get expensive CF tarp and bugnet.

We got a better looking $50 bugnet on ebay but it proved too small and squishy - so back to our old faithful setup.

Sleep system results:

A cold damp night near Barrington Tops NSW.

I have the 0deg EE enigma apex.

Mon has the -6deg EE enigma apex.
(More info on gear above)

Both using the 1/2 thermarest zlite 1/2 ebay picnic mat cut down.

It was 4 degrees when we went to bed at 9pm.
Mon wore her torrid jacket and hoodlum to bed.
I just jumped into the quilt with shirt and shorts.

I was too hot and became a bit sticky.

At about middnight it was 2.5 degrees and i put on my hoodlum.

At about 6am it was just above freezing and i synched down my quilt with the button and drawcord.

At 6.30am we had a decent frost and I started to feel the cold a little but was no where near shivering.

Mon slept well and was warm all night. She is a cold sleeper and if she said she was warm then she must have been toasty!

Here are some pics of the setup

The frost and thermometer showing -0.9 degrees

Result:
I was warm in a shirt, shorts, 0deg quilt and hoodlum down to 0degrees. If I wear the torrid jacket as well I reckon I could comfortably do -5 degrees . maybe a little cold but would be fine.

For Mon, she was happy with her first night ever in a quilt and not a sleeping bag. She could go colder with the setup but might get a tad cold. Cold is standard for Mon so we think she could push her setup to -5 without too much abnormal discomfort.

The mats: mon loves the z lite and agrees its the most comfortable CCF mat we have used. Our legs stayed warm with the ebay picnic alfoil mat. So a good result there I think.

The old ebay bugnet: it has done us well for many nights - though we might look for ways to reduce its weight.

Torrid jackets. I stayed fussing around with fire wood and odd jobs outside wearing shorts, the jacket and the hoodlum after getting up. I stayed warm enough for about an hour in below freezing temp with the grass crunching under my feet. Great little jackets!

Our sleep system will be reliable for the weather predicted on the Bib with lows down to 2degrees or so. I am confident after that test that we will be warm and comfy for our trip!
Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rileyr » Sat 29 Jun, 2019 12:16 am

Dehydrated meals for dinners arrived!

Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Al M » Tue 02 Jul, 2019 10:17 pm

Some instant noodles may be good, quick energy, salty liquids to replenish the body, lightweight. Also, dried fruit and nuts.
Al M
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Postby Rileyr » Fri 05 Jul, 2019 3:36 pm

Al M wrote:Some instant noodles may be good, quick energy, salty liquids to replenish the body, lightweight. Also, dried fruit and nuts.
Already on the menu :) we like a mix of instant noodles, mashed potato and freeze dried rice to go with our dehydrated meals for dinner.

We will be stopping into a town every 5-6 days so we will be posting the dinners to the post offices there. For breaky, lunch and snacks we will be buying from local grocery stores.

We didnt want to pre prepare every meal because we dont know what we will feel like eating. Hopefully it works out for us!

Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rileyr » Tue 16 Jul, 2019 10:02 am

CHANGE OF SHELTER SETUP

Hi again all,

Mon and I have decided not to go with an A frame style bug net for this walk (as shown in previous posts).

We have decided to go with a Polycryo ground sheet, which has a larger footprint than the bug net. The polycryo sheet is just a plastic sheet. For mosquito/bug protection we will be bringing 2 single Sea to Summit Nano Mosquito Nets.

We have done a lot of reading and we dont anticipate that we will need the mosquito nets all that often on our Bib trip. We intend on only setting up the mozzie nets if the sandflies or mozzies are bad. The single mozzie nets will work well in the shelters too if we happen to decide to stay in a shelter.

This way we only have to setup the tarp, unfold the ground sheet, lay our mats and quilts down and we are ready to go. Cuts packup times as well. Also gives us much more room to move, and more freedom under the tarp - which we both love. We have both slept on the ground plenty of times without any mozzie or bug and protection and arent worried about that. If we WANT to setup the mozzie nets then we will.

Another benefit of just using a ground sheet is that we can setup the tarp lower and tighter in bad weather.

I have used the single S2S mozzie net a few times and found it a bit fiddly. Also a bit of a pain under A tarp because it always sits loose at the head end due to the fact that its meant to be pinned up directly above the net (not possible under a tarp). But it functioned well, is very light and will only be setup if really needed.

Here is a picture of the S2S bug net - note there is no floor, and that its pegged out at the corners.

s2s mozzie.jpg
s2s mozzie.jpg (51.24 KiB) Viewed 1776 times

some specs:
Sea to Summit Single Mozzie net (no pouch) is 85g. 2x = 170g
Polycryo Ground Sheet (183 x 244cm) (1.0mil thick) = 105g
Total: 275g

Old Bugnet weight: 615g

Big weight saving, flexibility of setup options, and cuts setup and packup time (without bug nets)
Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rileyr » Tue 16 Jul, 2019 10:37 am

Emergency First Aid Kits

Along with the big items that we are carrying, I thought I would post up detailed gear lists of the smaller gear we are carrying. First up is our snake bite / emergency first aid kits. Not to be confused with our Personal First Aid Kits (bandaids and the like).

We carry a PLB for emergencies, and if we are using this kit then the PLB has been or will be activated.

This kit is simple. between us we have 2 x long compression bandages for snake bite treatment, an OPG, a suture kit and some anti histamines.

I carry an oro-pharangeal airway (spelling?) (OPG), for maintaining airway when other person is unconscious. Must be unconscious due to gag reflex. An OPG can help during resus/CPR and generally maintaining an airway.
Mon carries a suture kit for big cuts. That, and the 2 bandages should be fine for big lacerations and the kind of injuries which are likely while walking.
Bandages for snake bites, rolled ankles etc.
Anti histamines for allergic reactions eg being bitten in the throat by a bee or something ridiculous. Neither of us have any allergies that we know of.

Below are photos and detailed list of gear with weights

What I will carry:
riley emergency first aid.jpg
riley emergency first aid.jpg (45.5 KiB) Viewed 1776 times

emergency first aid.JPG

What Mon will carry:
Mon emergency first aid.jpg

emergency FA - Mpn.JPG

If any one has any suggestions, recommendations or advice I'm always happy to hear it :)
Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Al M » Fri 19 Jul, 2019 10:08 pm

When I hiked a week on the Bib some years ago in Sept around Pemberton it was cold and mosquito activity less but I noticed many people using citronella candle sticks in the huts both then and before judging from melted wax marks. The wind blows out candles so a glass casement is needed around them and I often just use a small jam bottle with lid off. Mozzie nets should address the issue but citronella candles help to keep them away rather than having to do everything under nets if needed.

Also bring some DEET based chemical insect repellent.

There is a fair bit of Ross River virus in WA with about up to 20% of bush marsupials known to carry the virus as the reservoir for human transmission via mozzies. Most people in WA contracting the virus have spent time outdoors and not preventing mozzie bites.

Although it may be different seasonally, then and now and from place to place there was significant rodent activity scurrying around to get at bags and food in the hut so people had these strung up.
Al M
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Rileyr » Sat 20 Jul, 2019 10:56 am

Al M wrote:When I hiked a week on the Bib some years ago in Sept around Pemberton it was cold and mosquito activity less but I noticed many people using citronella candle sticks in the huts both then and before judging from melted wax marks. The wind blows out candles so a glass casement is needed around them and I often just use a small jam bottle with lid off. Mozzie nets should address the issue but citronella candles help to keep them away rather than having to do everything under nets if needed.

Also bring some DEET based chemical insect repellent.

There is a fair bit of Ross River virus in WA with about up to 20% of bush marsupials known to carry the virus as the reservoir for human transmission via mozzies. Most people in WA contracting the virus have spent time outdoors and not preventing mozzie bites.

Although it may be different seasonally, then and now and from place to place there was significant rodent activity scurrying around to get at bags and food in the hut so people had these strung up.
Thanks AI M. I was considering ditching the deet, but will keep it in my pack now that you have said its needed.

Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rileyr » Sun 11 Aug, 2019 12:27 pm

Resupplies

Our resupply plan is to send dehydrated meals for dinners only to track towns which have post offices. We will collect breaky, lunch and snack food from coles/woolies etc at each resup town we stop at. We will be resupplying 6 times along the way. We plan on 30-40km days, but this is flexible. Also, when we arrive in the towns we will charge our phones and battery pack and eat as much as possible while in town. It takes our battery pack 4hrs to charge from dead flat to 100%. We can charge both phones and battery pack all at the same time. So, our stopover times should be a maximum of 4hrs. We aren't planning on staying overnight in any of the towns at this stage - just charge, eat, resup and go!

Our resupply plan:

Take 6 dinners on the flight to Perth. Collect breaky, lunch and snacks in Perth. And then set off from Kalamunda with 6 days worth of food.

1st resup will be at Dwellingup, which will be 4 days food.

2nd resup will be at Collie, which is 2 days food.

3rd resup will be at Ballingup, which is 5 days food.

4th resup will be at Pemberton, which is 2 days food.

5th resup will be at Northcliffe, which is 5 days food.

6th resup is at Walpole, which is 6 days food.
Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rileyr » Thu 15 Aug, 2019 7:47 pm

Riley's Final Gear List

68323493_2360712440922784_3075803213706821632_n WRITING.jpg
68323493_2360712440922784_3075803213706821632_n WRITING.jpg (135.91 KiB) Viewed 395 times

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG
Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Al M » Fri 16 Aug, 2019 1:40 am

Howabout also:

1. small surgical scissors for cutting toe nails and bursting blisters as well as general use
2. sunnies
3. spare T shirt for sleeping in and changeouts into fresh clothes while in camp
4. plastic bag for carrying rubbish between places or storing soiled clothing
5. small thin face towel
6. eco type soap for personal and clothes washing

The watch is not needed as the mob phone does that.
Al M
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby ChrisJHC » Fri 16 Aug, 2019 6:28 pm

A couple of comments:

My polycro ground sheet lasted one night on the rocks of the Lara Pinta. Try to place it on either grass or dirt.

I take a watch as well as my mobile phone. That allows me to turn the phone off completely overnight which saves the battery somewhat. I then find it a pain to turn the phone on and wait for it to start every time I want to check the time.

As always, YMMV and HYOH.
ChrisJHC
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rileyr » Sun 18 Aug, 2019 11:46 am

Al M wrote:Howabout also:

1. small surgical scissors for cutting toe nails and bursting blisters as well as general use
2. sunnies
3. spare T shirt for sleeping in and changeouts into fresh clothes while in camp
4. plastic bag for carrying rubbish between places or storing soiled clothing
5. small thin face towel
6. eco type soap for personal and clothes washing

The watch is not needed as the mob phone does that.
Thanks AI M

Mon will carry some nail clippers (i hate long nails haha). Bit of a luxury but hardly any weight.

We are happy enough using 1 shirt and washing them every couple of days using some water in a ziplock bag. Some might think thats gross haha

We also like wet wipes for cleaning ourselves. Just the main parts once a day. We use large ziplocks and put a days food inside as a bit of a ration, then use it as our rubbish bag after.
Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rileyr » Sun 18 Aug, 2019 11:52 am

ChrisJHC wrote:A couple of comments:

My polycro ground sheet lasted one night on the rocks of the Lara Pinta. Try to place it on either grass or dirt.

I take a watch as well as my mobile phone. That allows me to turn the phone off completely overnight which saves the battery somewhat. I then find it a pain to turn the phone on and wait for it to start every time I want to check the time.

As always, YMMV and HYOH.
Fingers crossed our poly cryo lasts! We will have to be extra careful. And give our spare one to a family member to send if it gives out.

Yeah i like a watch (which i have cut the straps off a $4 one from kmart). I like to measure a rough distance without turning my phone on. Eg: 10km to next hut should be roughly 2 hrs

Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Previous

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory