Visiting Pert, WA. Ideas for a good day or overnight?

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Visiting Pert, WA. Ideas for a good day or overnight?

Postby Rodos » Mon 24 Sep, 2012 7:13 pm

I am visiting Perth for work in October and can manage to be there for the weekend.

Can anyone recommend a good overnight or day walk near Perth. I won't have much transport but could hire a car for a circuit route. About 20 to 30 is my max range of distance. Don't mind the difficulty of walk as long as the navigation is not to hard, I am geographically challenged.

Thanks for any advise or tips!

Rod
Rodos
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Visiting Pert, WA. Ideas for a good day or overnight?

Postby rogo » Mon 24 Sep, 2012 7:18 pm

The Bibbulmun Track is in Kalamunda and has plenty of walks for a day or overnight. Walk into a hut and out the next day. http://bibbulmuntrack.org.au/ is a good place to start.
Dwellingup has plenty of day walks that isn't in the suburbs.
rogo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rodos » Mon 24 Sep, 2012 8:13 pm

Thanks rogo. A quick internet search found that area but its hard to know if its good until someone recommends it.

The info page for the first section (http://www.bibbulmuntrack.org.au/trip-p ... ge/s-info/) lists a number of possible 2 day return walks.

I wonder which of these two would be best, they are both around the distance I am after.

1. Kalamunda to Hewett's Hill campsite return (20.4km, two days one night).
2. Perth Hills National Parks Centre to Helena campsite return (22.4km, two days, one night).

I like the sound of the one from the Perth Hills Parks Centre as its not the start of the trail so hopefully less people. I wonder if there is any way to get transport to/from the Center or if I am going to have to hire a car and leave overnight.
Rodos
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Postby rogo » Mon 24 Sep, 2012 10:07 pm

From Kalamunda the track goes along a road for a bit and thru a disused golf course. Not what I call inspirational walking. But Piesse Brook area is pleasant. I am unaware of the Perth Hills National Park Centre but I am guessing it is the renamed Discovery Centre. Thats a nice walk. I did that last Easter with friends.

The flowers are going to spectacular in October.

The bibb can be interesting. More often than not I have walked on it and not seen a soul for days (apart from my walking buddies) and other times the huts can be full. Worst luck is if you walk early October as its school holidays and there might be a few scout or school groups on the track.

Have fun.

Rogo
rogo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby rogo » Mon 24 Sep, 2012 10:08 pm

Oh I forgot to say navigation is dead easy. Follow the waugals. they are very clearly marked, about every 200 mtrs.
rogo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Redtail » Fri 28 Sep, 2012 1:42 pm

Follow the links from the Bib Track website to check for "groups on track". That will give you an idea of how busy it may be. Likewise there's links to diversions and track conditions. IIRC, there's a diversion around the Mundaring Weir wall itself until November? But the walks you've listed just miss that part.

Another option is Kalamunda (that's the Northern Terminus, btw) to Mundaring Weir pub, staying overnight at Hewett's Hill. The leg out is only 10km, and it's ideal if you arrange to be picked up at the pub for a great lunch. Depends on your transport options. Public transport is available to Kalamunda, but not from Mundaring Weir, or the Hills NP Centre (about 1km away).

Yet another option just occurred to me - Kalamunda to the Mundaring Weir pub itself and stay there the night. Walk back the next day?
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick
Redtail
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory