Maps for South Australia.

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Maps for South Australia.

Postby vagrom » Thu 20 Dec, 2012 5:05 pm

I was in Cartographics on Unley Rd the other day and Alex showed me a recent production of theirs, a new map of the Adelaide Hills and Barossa regions. It includes all the trails. (Cover photo on their website). As the old Hills Transit Map is no longer available and will no longer be updated, this one makes an excellent replacement for anyone heading into the hills for a walk. [Memo: All trails now officially closed during the Fire Ban Season].
Also, some chap has recently self published an A4 sized guide to the Adelaide Hills, again available at Cartographics. It's a flora, fauna and human history piece with lots of great photos. I can't find anything about it on the web yet, not even on Carto's website.
Carto's is just up the road a bit from Woolies, 150m north and on the other side.
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: WalkingSA, Frnd Cleland/Bushcare, Alltrails
Region: South Australia

Re: Maps for South Australia.

Postby photohiker » Thu 20 Dec, 2012 5:25 pm

Thanks vagroom,

Did you notice if they do an electronic version?

I've got the DEH 1:50k electronic maps which are ok. OSM are getting pretty good in the hills too.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby vagrom » Fri 21 Dec, 2012 8:46 pm

It's actually only a 1/150k, so it's main use is for getting to starts by road rather than actual hiking use. Very useful for some of the small,dirt, vehicular roads around some of the hills Conservation Parks. The old Hills Transit Map, covering Tanunda to Milang and with excellent contrast, as well as the 3 big trails, was an excellent walker's road map.
I can't say if this new map is as good. It does include topo relief as well.
Carto's website shows it's cover only, under: "Travel Maps: South Australia".

EDIT: This new map covers from Kapunda, down to Strathalbyn. On reverse, Barossa's done in 1/75k and Mt Crawford area in 1/50k.

The new book is by Neville Collins. [Google: "Neville Collins Jetties"(of SA)]. Called The Adelaide Hills: A History (2013). Copy in Storage at the State Library.
Last edited by vagrom on Mon 24 Dec, 2012 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: WalkingSA, Frnd Cleland/Bushcare, Alltrails
Region: South Australia

Postby mikethepike » Sat 22 Dec, 2012 9:25 pm

Cartographics did fantastic relief maps for the mid-upper north and Eyre Peninsular and I inquired about them doing a map of the Flinders but they were busy with the Adelaide Hills map at the time. Now that that is done, I hope that the Flinders is next to get the treatment. Despite Google Earth, I believe that these maps still have their place. They are nice to own and studying them can give you inspiration and ideas for walks.
mikethepike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory