Heysen Trail end to end

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Heysen Trail end to end

Postby avalon » Tue 01 Jan, 2013 4:03 pm

Hi there fellow walkers ,
We are are a couple of grey nomads from West Aust that choose to cover distances on foot . Having completed end to end walks on the Bibbulmun track ,Overland Track ,A A W T and quite a few more we are now giving thought to the Heysen trail after seeing it up in the Flinders Ranges ,and looking at some of the photo's in the forum .

Things that we have to consider are
The best time to of the year .
Transport to start and finish .
If we drove over with the car and caravan ,is there any where they could be left for the duration of the walk.
Do concealed food drops ,or leave with post offices
Any other suggestions that could be helpfull would be appreciated .

Keep on walking
Don
avalon
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Re: Heysen Trail end to end

Postby Maelgwn » Tue 01 Jan, 2013 7:44 pm

Hi Don

You might find the friends of Heysen Trail forum a better place to ask. http://www.heysentrail.asn.au/forums/

I think Spring or Autumn would be the best bet. The track is closed over summer due to fire danger (and it is HOT for all the areas Adelaide and north), and winter can be quite cold overnight (and potentially wet around the southern end - Cape Jervis, Waitpinga etc). Winter would be ok for most of the track except the far southern end.

You can get transport with Sealink to Cape Jervis, the southern end of the track. For the northern end, chartered/private transport is required.

I think the track goes through/near enough towns that resupply in town/Post Offices should be feasible.

Good luck :)
Maelgwn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby avalon » Wed 02 Jan, 2013 2:54 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.
I will follow this site until the end of February ,looking for as many ideas as posible ,then start making a plan of what we will do and then put it on this site for more opinions , and then go through it with the friends of the Heysen Trail .

Keep on walking
Don
avalon
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby jez_au » Tue 08 Jan, 2013 9:35 am

Hey, there are some good resources on the Friends of the Heysen Trail website for interstate hikers:
    Service Directory - list of supermarkets, other food places, internet access
    Transport - buses, and shuttle companies servicing towns along the trail
    Campsites - up-to-date list of campsites and their facilities.

There are two guidebooks available, one for the south, the other the north. The Campsites link above shows the most up-to-date info for each campsite marked in the book. Also the website shows details of 5 new campsites recently installed which are not shown in the book (which are very good for closing gaps between water tanks). There is also a page showing re-routes that have come into effect since the printing of the guidebook.

I should say I maintain the website for the Friends of the Heysen Trail. As always, if any hiker finds any info incorrect or missing from any of the above links, they should contact us so we can update the info for other hikers.

Our Pinterest site contains some inspiration photos of the Heysen Trail: pinterest.com/heysentrail
blogs - www.jeremyc.com
peak bagging - peakclimbs.com
jez_au
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby avalon » Wed 09 Jan, 2013 4:21 pm

Thanks for the above information , I have logged on to the Website for the Friends of the Heysen Trail and will use it for picking up ideas .
We are also track maintenance volunteers for the Bibbulmun Track .
avalon
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Wollemi » Fri 11 Jan, 2013 9:20 am

avalon wrote:Having completed end to end walks on the Bibbulmun track ,Overland Track ,A A W T and quite a few more we are now giving thought to the Heysen trail

Sounds great - how did you manage the food drops for the AAWT? Bury them? Leave one at a summer lodge in Hotham?

avalon wrote:Do concealed food drops ,or leave with post offices

I can't see Post Offices agreeing to mind your food drops. They would politely tell you there is a general store next door at which to purchase more food.
Why a PO anyway - what happens when you walk into town at 5pm on a Friday? Wait in Dusty Hollow until 9am Monday?
Live everyday as if it were your last... one day you will be right.
Wollemi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby avalon » Fri 11 Jan, 2013 6:08 pm

Re food drops for A A W T.
Food drop 1 burried at Kiandra just off track .2 Posted to post office at Thredbo , put message on box to let them now what it is with apprpx date of pick up . Post office is at super market no problem picking it up. 3 burried just off track at Benambra Corryong Rd . 4 Left at General store with same message on it at Mt Hotham. 5 Burried just off track at Jamieson Licola Rd .
If burying Food and there is a chance of wet weather or snow leave about four inches of the container above the ground surface and cover with logs as the hole you dug will fill with water and penetrate the container if below the ground completely . Tie about a metre of string to your container and the other end to a bush to act as a trace line when you come back to find it . This is all from personal experience .
Keep on walking.
Don
avalon
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby madmacca » Sat 02 Mar, 2013 11:41 pm

Wollemi wrote:I can't see Post Offices agreeing to mind your food drops. They would politely tell you there is a general store next door at which to purchase more food.
Why a PO anyway - what happens when you walk into town at 5pm on a Friday? Wait in Dusty Hollow until 9am Monday?

Actually, post offices holding your mail for you is a long established service. It's known as "Poste Restante" and was a favourite of backpackers in pre email days.

Just address it to yourself:

Madmacca
Poste Restante
Back o' Bourke Post Office 1234

Putting an estimated pick-up date is probably wise.

I always figure that you will generate more goodwill by spending some of your hard earned in the community you are travelling through. But post offices can be useful for specialty items that you are not confident you will be able to get at a small country store, or to send yourself a new pair of hiking boots (that you have checked already fit you) half way through a 1200 km journey.
madmacca
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby avalon » Mon 04 Mar, 2013 4:04 pm

Thanks Madmacca
We have used poste Resante quite a bit over the years including over seas and never had a problem . On this trip we would be posting the dehydrated food that we would not expect to be available in some of the smaller towns . We will probably spend money on accomadation in the towns that we pass through and replace other expended items if available .
Well February has passed and we now have to start getting serious about whether we go or not . We will go out and do a ten day walk on the Bibbulmun track in April and see how that goes . We are thinking of starting down on the coast in August and being up towards the Flinders Ranges in time for the wild flowers to be out . The boots are something to think about and any other ideas that may crop up .
Keep on walking .
Don
avalon
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby avalon » Sun 07 Apr, 2013 9:55 pm

Decission time . We are now close to the time that we will have to decide on whether we do the walk or not . It would seem that from the number of views 12635 on this article ,there are a lot of people interested in the Heysen Trail . We will do an eight day walk down the Bibbulmun Track in a couple of weeks and see how my wifes feet hold up , and if they are OK think about starting the Heysen Trail this coming
August .
Keep on walking
Don
avalon
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby rogo » Mon 08 Apr, 2013 7:55 am

What section of the Bibb Avalon? You are starting same time as me.

My walking partner and I have thought about a section of the Heysen Trail next year. I just had a look at the pinterest board that Jez put up and it looks a lovely walk.
rogo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby rolfex » Mon 08 Apr, 2013 9:44 pm

I haven't done the Heysen trail myself, but I do recommend you read the views of Christine, the 'German Tourist' before embarking on it. Christine has done around 28000 km of long through hikes, including the Heysen trail, and DOES NOT RECOMMEND the Heysen trail for several reasons she details on her web site:

http://christine-on-big-trip.blogspot.c ... en%20Trail

If you end up doing it regardless, I'd be most interested in hearing how you feel about the points Christine has raised. By the way, she loved the Bibbulmun track, doing it twice.
rolfex
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Mon 08 Apr, 2013 10:28 pm

What a whinger.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby avalon » Mon 08 Apr, 2013 11:34 pm

Hi Rogo
We are going down to Manjimup and then out to Donnelly River Mill on Monday the 15th April , and then will start to walk through to Northcliffe the next day . Good day rolfex I have just read the German ladies account of the Heysen Trail , it looks like she really had a hard time of it ,
but those sought of problems can occur anywhere . So we will waite until we have done the walk and then form an opinion about it .
It would be interesting to see if there is any response to her notes , from The Friends of the Heysen Trail here .
Keep on walking
Don
avalon
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby photohiker » Mon 08 Apr, 2013 11:50 pm

I'll say. She did have a nasty fall which probably made her less than rosy view of the trail somewhat worse.

She does go on though. :D

avalon, drop a PM to jez_au for a response from the friends. I would note that some of her complaints have been addressed:

http://www.heysentrail.asn.au/heysen_tr ... ectory.php
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jez_au » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 10:47 am

Hey all. We did leave comments on Christine's blog at the time, and contact her directly. It's a good blog because it offers a different viewpoint, and a hiker researching potential hikes would appreciate a diversity of views. It's also good because it helps people know what to expect of the trail (whatever that trail is).

We also added more information to our website, including the Service Directory and specific details about bus services to trail towns. For a long time we've published comprehensive details of every campsite along the trail. This also helps to manage people's expectations of the trail and facilities.

The Heysen Trail is co-managed by the Friends of the Heysen Trail, and the SA Government. The SA Government publishes the trail guidebooks with the maps. This is part of our long term Memorandum of Understanding between the two parties. We're hoping to have more input in the next set of maps, which are currently in development.

Unfortunately trails are often a product of their time. The Heysen Trail was developed in the 1970s and finished in the 1980s. The Bibbulmun Track was originally developed around the same time, but was comprehensively upgraded and realigned in the late 1980s with a huge government investment. It would be great if the SA Govt could inject a similar amount of funds into the Heysen Trail, but I think we can all appreciate this is a difficult time for governments everywhere. The SA Govt has a strategic plan for the trail, but there is no current funding.

In the past 18 months the Friends of the Heysen Trail have undertaken a significant venture to construct 11 new campsites, many of which close "water supply gaps" between existing campsites and towns.

Much of the Heysen Trail crosses private land, with whom the landholders have generously granted permission for hikers for access the trail.

The Friends of the Heysen Trail differ significantly from the Bibbulmun Track Foundation. The HT Friends are entirely volunteer based, and much of their funds are self-raised. The BT Foundation is largely government funded with employees. It may just be a matter of one state government with a higher state population and more mining royalties than the other.

Every hiker compares trails they have hiked, who wouldn't? Each trail in Australia is unique for its own reasons. I've said good things and bad things about other trails in Australia. Christine also said 'bad' things about other trails here.

Hopefully the above offers some perspective.
blogs - www.jeremyc.com
peak bagging - peakclimbs.com
jez_au
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby avalon » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 4:40 pm

Hi Jez,
Thanks for the quick response .These type of forums go along way towards getting more people interested in doing the walks . And that in turn can result in pressure being put on Governments to provide more support for the track . The Bibbulmun track is also a big tourist attraction to the State resulting in a lot of tourist money being spent here . We are also track maintenance volunteers for the Bibbulmun Track and understand what is involved in keeping tracks attractive to walkers and accept that not every one that does it , comes back smiling ,but most do .
Keep on walking
Don
avalon
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby rogo » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 6:58 pm

avalon wrote:Hi Rogo
We are going down to Manjimup and then out to Donnelly River Mill on Monday the 15th April , and then will start to walk through to Northcliffe the next day .
Don

I'm a week behind you :)
rogo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby avalon » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 9:01 pm

Enjoy your walk .

Don
avalon
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Maelgwn » Wed 10 Apr, 2013 8:54 am

rolfex wrote:I haven't done the Heysen trail myself, but I do recommend you read the views of Christine, the 'German Tourist' before embarking on it. Christine has done around 28000 km of long through hikes, including the Heysen trail, and DOES NOT RECOMMEND the Heysen trail for several reasons she details on her web site:

If you end up doing it regardless, I'd be most interested in hearing how you feel about the points Christine has raised. By the way, she loved the Bibbulmun track, doing it twice.

In some ways I think this is quite accurate ... lots of road reserves and fences to follow, many of which are not that interesting!

You can't really on 'bushwalking' supplies in SA. The market is too small for gas canisters to reliably be available in country towns ... I find a shortage of information kind of an attraction of walking in SA. You have to ask around about where to go, where to find water, what to look out for and do your own research. Knowledge is not instantly available, it takes time and helps you to appreciate the experience that much more.

But I am a believer in there being beauty in all environments - yes its easy to appreciate the rugged mountains at the northern end of the trail, and the picturesque beaches at the southern end. But there is also beauty in the arid country in between, in the grazing and cropping country, in the old buildings and the pine forests.
Maelgwn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Maelgwn » Wed 10 Apr, 2013 9:00 am

rolfex wrote:I haven't done the Heysen trail myself, but I do recommend you read the views of Christine, the 'German Tourist' before embarking on it. Christine has done around 28000 km of long through hikes, including the Heysen trail, and DOES NOT RECOMMEND the Heysen trail for several reasons she details on her web site:

O - she complains about the mice a lot two. The mice plague was pretty bad in 2011 - driving a night you would see them running across the road constantly - and was related to the breaking of the drought. It has mostly cleared up now, I stayed in a couple of huts last year and saw no mice or signs of them.
Maelgwn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby avalon » Wed 10 Apr, 2013 9:42 pm

Hi there all ,
This forum is going great . I reckon that by the time we decide to go there will be enough positive information available for any reader to get the urge to do the walk . Please keep it up . Negative and Positive comments are all welcome .
Keep on walking
Don
avalon
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby rogo » Thu 11 Apr, 2013 10:37 am

avalon wrote:Enjoy your walk .

Don

Thanks Don, you too.
rogo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby vagrom » Thu 11 Apr, 2013 1:05 pm

Thanks Rolfex, for Christine's link. It's a pleasure and a laugh to read and very, very good. The Krauts admire straight talking and this is such a beautiful example, a delight to read. I'm enjoying the schadenfreud.

The Heysen's actually great of course and lots of volunteers help make it so. SA doesn't have that much in the way of traditional bushwalking options so in that sense, that they got the Heysen up and keep it going is a minor miracle.
Some locals have gone out of the way to help but others regard us as pests; thus the long fence-line walks sometimes. But it's a part of Oz that not many others know about first hand. We're 1 million km2 of mostly desert, beautiful in season. The Trail has had to find a way to join up sections in our SE corner that can be maintained and watered.
I gave a lift to Carmen from Germany, from Arapiles to Adelaide some years ago. The vast, big sky country we drove through was utterly boring for her. I guess we've all aclimatised. The Heysen has that vastness and is of course, named after a Kraut! More power to you Christine. Suck it up!

Rossiter's Hut has a combo padlock. They've never returned my calls so you just go in through the window. Improvise, hein! The little visitor's book shows few visit since 2010. Used to be a lot more.
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: WalkingSA, Frnd Cleland/Bushcare, Alltrails

Postby photohiker » Thu 11 Apr, 2013 2:19 pm

vagrom wrote:I gave a lift to Carmen from Germany, from Arapiles to Adelaide some years ago. The vast, big sky country we drove through was utterly boring for her. I guess we've all aclimatised. The Heysen has that vastness and is of course, named after a Kraut! More power to you Christine. Suck it up!

I had the same experience driving some EU visitors from the east coast to Adelaide via the Hay Plains. I was in awe of the amazing late afternoon light and the rolling plains scenery, but my passengers were totally unimpressed! It takes time to come to appreciate the terrain I guess. One would think that through hiking the Heysen, you'd get it by the end but apparently not everyone does.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Clusterpod » Thu 11 Apr, 2013 8:04 pm

Christine's blog entries make me want to walk the Heysen even more. Wish I had the time. One day!

I met Christine on the Bibbulmun in 2008. She had just had her big scare from the storm a day or so before. Straight talking isn't half of it!
Clusterpod
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby avalon » Fri 26 Apr, 2013 7:52 pm

Training for the Heysen Trail ,
We have now returned from our 95 kl walk down the Bibbulmuntrack .We walked from Donnely River through to Pemberton it is one of the harder sections of the track being quite steep and up and down through dense forrest and where the shelters are just over 20 kl a part . This would be the third time that I have been through there and each time it seems to be getting longer ,and is starting to make me think that we may be seeing more of the Heysen trail from the car than by foot .
Trying to continue walking .
Don
avalon
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby jimbo42 » Thu 17 Apr, 2014 12:03 pm

I've put in a comment on her website as well
"What a whinger", as mentioned before, is the appropriate feedback
Typical of cosseted thru - hikers that we've met on the Pacific Crest Trail and the Continental Divide Trail in the USA. A bunch of wusses with ridiculously inappropriate and reckless ultra-liteweight gear that wouldn't stand up to the rigours of Alpine conditions, and much less to scrub-bashing in Australia in our rugged, remote and arid places.
I've hiked often in the Flinders Ranges; repeated Warren Bonython's trip along the Flinders Ranges; and love being in the remote and difficult country in the Gammon Ranges and north of Arkaroola. Christine's approach is completely out of place in locations such as these
The Friends of the Heysen Trail have done a fantastic job of putting in support facilities along the sections of the trail near Quorn; local caravan park owners have been very helpful to us in supporting/shuttling us around; landowners have been positive about access to places off the official Trail. So conditions for trail walkers are vastly better now than when I did the initial traverse in the 1980s. Even so, it astonishes me when I see people on the trail with just a Guidebook and no navigation skill. And expecting there to be a well-marked trail all the way. Reckless and stupid behaviour.
Don't let Christine's comments put you off; the Heysen Trail in the Flinders Ranges is a great walk for those willing to try it; but plan well; learn to navigate; take a full set of topographic maps as well as the Guidebooks; don't expect luxury accommodation; bring your tents; and be careful about water supplies.
jimbo42
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Walking_addict » Tue 29 Apr, 2014 5:39 pm

Yep, the Heysen Trail is unique, and not all prettied up in a lot of ways, but it is a great test of endurance, especially if it's hot or the weather's not that great.

Jimbo, I too walked the HT inspired by CWB's book 'Walking the Flinders Ranges'.
Finishing the HT at Parachilna Gorge in June 2000 was an awesome feeling, and as such was only the start of another adventure, that finished at Mt Hopeless / Mt Hopeless Station on the Strzelecki Tk, then ultimately at Cameron Corner another year or so later.
We've gone on to push ourselves further in 'off seasons' in numerous other states and overseas.

For some people it's not just about beautiful, unique, well appointed places to walk, but about getting out of the comfort zone, facing a little hardship, and overcoming it with your companions.
Cheers,
Les
Walking_addict
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby David Trebilcock » Fri 16 May, 2014 10:21 am

I have worked out an itinerary for doing the Heysen Trail together with the Mawson (bicycle) Trail over a three month period commencing April (when the trail opens) and finishing in July. It would involve shuffling various sections between the two modes and using a car to ferry the bicycle etc back and forth. It works in theory, but I'm not sure how well in practice. Having access to a car would make food shopping easier, but it means having to leave the car and bicycle for up to a week at possibly remote locations with the risk of them being stolen etc. My plan is to do this in 2015 after I retire. If you are interested in viewing the itinerary please let me know.
David Trebilcock
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Adelaide Happy Wanderers Bushwalking Club

Next

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory