Heysen Trail end to end

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Heysen Trail end to end

Postby Track Crakar » Sun 17 Aug, 2014 11:49 am

Hi all,
I am new to this site, I want to walk the Heysen in stages, roughly two week intervals till I have completed. I have read Christines Blog, and I am a bit worried.
I will be ordering the updated books and doing my own homework.
I have completed the Bibbulmun several times all in one hit, and the Bibbulmun is a very well maintained track. I am actually a volunteer myself. The track is well marked, but you will be amazed at how many people go astray. ha ha I have also completed the Overland track, the Larapinta Track, and just recently the Great Ocean Walk, all tracks have their downsides. I just love hiking, I will have a moan too, but it wont stop me hiking just because!!!???
question time:
Has anyone done the the whole Heysen track in one hit?
What would be a good roughly two week walk starting from Jervis Bay? we are going to head in the northern direction. Oh I have 3 partners in crime with me Julie, Dale and Jax all experienced hikers.
Just some tips, like I said I will be googling and phoning and finding out a lot of stuff myself but its always good to hear from fellow hikers.
Feel free if you want any tips on the above hikes I have done.

see ya out there
Track Crakar
Karen....
Track Crakar
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Postby icefest » Sun 17 Aug, 2014 4:14 pm

viewtopic.php?p=158225#p158225

And use search to find other threads.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby avalon » Sun 12 Oct, 2014 8:16 pm

Hi there , thanks to all of the people that have contributed to my question about the Heysen Trail . I can now take them in to account when making my plans .
avalon
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Postby hailtothenihilist » Wed 15 Oct, 2014 11:37 am

A good two week section starting in Cape Jervis? I would plan it around transportation. If you are going to get the coach to the start of the track - the Adelaide - Cape Jervis "Sealink" service - then consider public transport at the end. I would consider Cape Jervis to, say, Morialta CP to be a good two week stretch. You can catch the Adelaide Metro bus from the end back into the city.
hailtothenihilist
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: South Australia

Postby Donna13Rik » Thu 05 Nov, 2015 3:42 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am a Heysen Trail dreamer .... at least for now. Just about finished raising my family and then I am off. I would love to do the Heysen Trail end to end, and I will. I am not concerned about the things mentioned in the blog. Australia is rugged and we are very fortunate to have choices of different types of terrain and walks/tracks. And I just want to walk them all....

Just been reading about Avalon planning to walk the Heysen. Have you done it yet? Really interested in how it went.
I still have some preparation to do, fitness mostly. Running after kids keeps you busy but not necessarily 'walking trail ready' :)

Cheers Donna
Donna13Rik
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: South Australia

Previous

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory