Tabletop track in Litchfield NP

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Tabletop track in Litchfield NP

Postby Sasha » Mon 04 Mar, 2013 6:02 pm

Hi all

For reasonably fit bush walkers, how long is a good time for this walk? Tne park website suggests about five or six days, whereas the Daly book on walking in the NT suggests its a 3 day 2 night walk...

Also, what is the best direction to do it...clockwise or anti clockwise?

Scenically, how does it compare to Kakadu...though I know it doesn't have the charm of walking along creek systems as one can in Kakadu..

Is every camp site liable to be crowded with noisy backpackers in July?

Thanks for your help
Sasha
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Tabletop track in Litchfield NP

Postby jez_au » Mon 04 Mar, 2013 7:06 pm

3 days is good. If you're a fit walker you'd do it it more time to either enjoy some o fthe campsite more, or to avoid walking in the hot afternoons.

I did it in July 2010 and I only saw a couple of people at the campsites. Loads of people at the waterfalls that you can walk out to, where the cars can come in.

Some of the walk is along an escarpment edge which is very scenic. There are also waterfall here the cars cant get to.

I'm not sure direction matters, I don't think there were any significant ups and downs.
blogs - www.jeremyc.com
peak bagging - peakclimbs.com
jez_au
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby penumbra » Fri 12 Apr, 2013 11:23 pm

We did this walk a few years ago (2008). It is a fairly easy walk but is really worth it. The trail passes many great streams and waterfalls that are only accessible on foot, and not many people walk it (relative to the numbers visiting Florence and Wangi Falls). The scenery is similar to some parts of Kakadu (e.g. above Gunlom) and Nitmiluk (e.g. on the way to the Jawoyn valley). We walked the trail clockwise but it's mostly flat and so would be a similar level of difficulty either way (although watch out for 'missing' trail markers in a few patches of scrub). Three nights would be enough, but some extra time would be good to appreciate the waterfalls and streams. Your probably won't find too many people on the trail, but someone had left rubbish at some of the campsites, so it's likely that some inconsiderate people walk the trail at the height of the tourist season. (We walked in steamy September and saw no-one.)
penumbra
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australia

Postby Steve_Phelps » Tue 30 Apr, 2013 10:32 am

We did the Tabletop track last year (June) - we saw hardly any day walkers on the tourist tracks on the way up from Wangi and just a few walking groups on the Tabletop track itself. It was good walking, plenty of places to get water or have a swim along the track, and the track markers are a bit patchy in some places, especially where these seems to have been fires through recently.

One camp we found quite bad mosquitoes at dusk (above the Cascades area), but apart from that no problems and we really enjoyed the walking.
Steve_Phelps
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby BeckLeigh » Mon 24 Jun, 2013 1:25 pm

Hello bushwalkers,

I'm planning to head to Litchfield for the Tabletop circuit for a mid-week walk in July. Couple of questions I'd love your help with:

1. Although I've done many multi day hikes in Aus and NZ, I rarely have to navigate using topographic maps. Instead, have used well worn paths like Wilsons Prom or the Able Tasman. How well is Tabletop marked? And failing that, will it be very busy in July and hence, easy enough to follow others?

2. I've read mixed info about water availability. I assume if we boil or treat, we can drink from running creeks/pools? Or do people literally carry in 8 to 10 kgs of water for the whole trip?

Really excited to get up there and see this beautiful part of the world, but Im only in Darwin for 24 hours before starting the walk so need to be prepared to hit the ground running :)

Thanks kindly!
BeckLeigh
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Postby Jason68 » Mon 24 Jun, 2013 4:02 pm

Hi Fellas,
It's a 3 day easy track, grab the map and at this time of year the track is very visible, only coming off The Wet do you have fun finding it!
Water every where, I never worry boiling/sterilising but that's up to the individual & their tummy.
I usually start/leave vehicle at Wangi Falls, go clock wise,
First stop Walker Creek, well and truly worth going off main track for. Don't be tempted by the northern campsite on main track 1.8km east of Walker Creek turnoff, it's crap!
Second stop/night is the un named southern campsite 3km short (east of) of Greenant Creek turn off, beautiful spot.
Beautiful little track, not many people usually out there.
Feel free to PM me for further information, I'm just down the track in Katherine.
Cheers Jason.
Jason68
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Northern Territory

Postby BeckLeigh » Mon 24 Jun, 2013 4:31 pm

Jason - thanks that is really helpful. I'll be in contact again if we think of anything else!
BeckLeigh
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Postby Sasha » Fri 12 Jul, 2013 8:44 pm

As it turns out, we couldn't do the TT track as it was closed because of fires. luckily we found this out a few days before starting out...definitely worth checking with the park authorities before packing up and heading out there.

The info office for the park in Batchelor had no idea the track was closed, so don't rely on what they say. The best local source of info was the Canadian guy who works in the cafe at Wangi.
Sasha
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby jlbmdm » Sun 18 Oct, 2015 4:47 am

I'm planning to visit Litchfield NP in November. Do you know if it's possible to walk some part of the Tabletop track at that time? (or the hole walk).
There can be two reassons for not doig that: (1) that it's close; (2) It's too hot and humid... but I'll spend some days in Darwin and I'd like to visit this NP (and walk Tabletop track or some part of it).
Thanks, Jose
jlbmdm
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Postby north-north-west » Mon 19 Oct, 2015 5:21 pm

Contact the Territorian Parks mob http://www.parksandwildlife.nt.gov.au/ and ask them.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby troamaru » Wed 25 Nov, 2015 10:58 pm

Hi, you can hike the Tabletop track at anytime however out of the normal walking season you will have to contact parks and apply for a permit. Its very, very hot here at the moment so I would be very careful heading out at the moment. I walk the tabletop track quite a bit, if you'd like anymore info feel free to message me.
troamaru
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Northern Territory

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory