Have your say on new Kangaroo Island multi-day hiking trail

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Have your say on new Kangaroo Island multi-day hiking trail

Postby wayno » Sun 15 Sep, 2013 11:37 am

he Kangaroo Island Futures Authority, an advisory board formed by the South Australian government, is planning to establish a multi-day hiking trail on the island.

http://www.bushwalkingblog.com.au/penny ... ing-trail/
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Re: Have your say on new Kangaroo Island multi-day hiking tr

Postby Bubbalouie » Sun 15 Sep, 2013 12:23 pm

Nice, I've been hoping they'd open something like this up. All filled in. A few points to fill up with water and some trail markers and I'll be happy as Larry :)
Bubbalouie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Willraja » Wed 09 Oct, 2013 3:18 pm

This might actually tempt me to head over to KI. At the moment I can't justify the expense. The ferry charge is a laugh.
Willraja
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby neil_fahey » Mon 14 Oct, 2013 8:47 am

@Willraja I know what you mean. Sealink must be absolutely raking it in. Utterly ridiculous. :/
neil_fahey
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: BushwalkingBlog.com.au
Region: Victoria

Postby dplanet » Mon 14 Oct, 2013 3:45 pm

Same here and it was about 10 years ago.
dplanet
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby Hallu » Mon 14 Oct, 2013 5:13 pm

I tried to fill up the survey and they don’t want my opinion because I ticked “very unlikely” to the question “Are you gonna visit KI in the next 5 years ?”… I thought they actually would have wanted to know why, after visiting it once, I didn’t want to go back… That’s a useful opinion I think, but it seems they’d rather ignore it.

Anyway, it's less expensive (and even faster) to fly from Adelaide to Hobart than to drive and then take the ferry to KI (not to mention the petrol there is 1.7 $/L), so I don't see any reason why you'd choose KI. Very overestimated island, it's been advertised ad nauseam, it's mainly popular because Lonely Planet makes a big fuss about it. Truth is, everything's expensive, the roads that are unsealed are rubbish, road signing is appalling, and I don't see how the beaches are better than, let's say, Yorke or Eyre Peninsula. Wanna see sea lions and fur seals ? Go to New Zealand, they're more numerous, and you can approach them freely on the beaches. The only thing that would save it in the eyes of bushwalkers (because they seem to make a heck of money already amongst more "classical" tourists, who love having their picture taken for facebook inside one of the remarkable rocks...) would be better walking tracks and reduced ferry costs.
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby photohiker » Mon 14 Oct, 2013 5:48 pm

Hallu wrote:the roads that are unsealed are rubbish

Not many of those left, unfortunately. It used to keep the rubbernecks out. :D

Filled in the survey, not sure if they will make my kind of walk. Already a few options over there though.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby clelander » Wed 30 Oct, 2013 10:34 pm

There's no reason the Heysen Trail couldn't be extended from the Dudley Peninsula over to Flinders Chase. In my opinion the coastline of southern KI is far more beautiful than any other stretch of SA and far better protected and more natural than the southern Fleurieu. Expense is a major concern, I went over with four friends in my sedan two years ago and it cost $550 return. It's true that combining Tiger and Jetstar I went to Tassie for trekking in February, high tourist season, for about $150 from memory. And TassieLink buses are cheap as well, especially for a student.
clelander
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby mikethepike » Mon 04 Nov, 2013 5:22 pm

wayno wrote:The Kangaroo Island Futures Authority, an advisory board formed by the South Australian government, is planning to establish a multi-day hiking trail on the island.

Someone might correct me but I filled in the survey form 3 weeks ago and it seemed concerned about setting up well publicized short (1-4 hours ) either back-to-the-start walks or possibly linear walks (eg Admirals Arch to Remarkable Rocks) and if they require drop off or pick up at the start/finish, so much the better. They see the walker market as well-heeled revenue bringers (few tents here) first and foremost and walks involving costs such as drop offs or guided walks would fit the bill nicely. Not the scene for the majority of people likely to be reading this!

clelander wrote:There's no reason the Heysen Trail couldn't be extended from the Dudley Peninsula over to Flinders Chase. In my opinion the coastline of southern KI is far more beautiful than any other stretch of SA and far better protected and more natural than the southern Fleurieu.

This is the logical thing to do with the Heysen Trail and a suggested route for such a trail was outlined in an article in Tandanya (ABW) over a decade ago. Land access could be the biggest problem though i suspect a lot of dirt roads would be used. Otherwise my suggestion, having walked it, is to follow the south coast from Pennington Bay to C de C., it's mainly along the narrow corridor of easy walking between the cliff edge and thick scrub. Yes you have to carry water.

clelander wrote: In my opinion the coastline of southern KI is far more beautiful than any other stretch of SA and far better protected and more natural than the southern Fleurieu.

I've just come back from KI and there is no place in the higher rainfall (agricultural) SA as peaceful as KI or with more roadside and creek-side vegetation. I agree fully with your comparison with the southern Fleurieu.

The ferry is very expensive but my recent over and back trip was with very few passengers, I doubt the two trips broke even. Not that I should defend Sealink, the company seems to has done its best to 'discourage' opposition IMHO (Remember the much cheaper passengers-only (no vehicles) Valerie Jane?) But it is no bigger ripoff that the Lake St Clair ferry surely and which many people seem to have no qualms about using.

Hallu wrote:Anyway, it's less expensive ....... (not to mention the petrol there is 1.7 $/L), so I don't see any reason why you'd choose KI. Very overestimated island, it's been advertised ad nauseam, it's mainly popular because Lonely Planet makes a big fuss about it. Truth is, everything's expensive,

Agreed about the petrol but I suppose that the petrol tankers going over to the island also have to pay the extortionate ferry fees! But you are right - many things are high priced (KI's 'clean green' image can take some of the blame here). Just one example - KI bushland honey is no more 'organic' than bushland honey on the mainland but in the Adelaide Central Market, I found it selling for a higher price than leatherwood honey!
mikethepike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walk2wineries » Wed 06 May, 2015 6:07 pm

Yes I know, very old Subject but the subject has come up on a newer thread. KI is expensive except for residents who get a huge discount on the ferry.

I've always thought I'd be happy to pay xs to access and stay on KI and Fraser if they could be used as natural quarantines for protected species - ie get rid of dogs and particularly all cats.
WRT honey - they do quarantine bees; not natives but some sort of pure Ligerian breed introduced a century ago. Enjoy!
walk2wineries
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory