Tabletop Track Info???

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Tabletop Track Info???

Postby j_ak3 » Mon 28 Jul, 2014 7:49 pm

Hi Everyone, im heading up to the NT in late August and considering doing the Tabletop track, i have tried to google it a bit and only get the parks fact sheet page. so i was wondering if i could get some general info?

I'm from Tassie so not really a need to filter water, is water needed to be filtered there?

I know its going to be searing hot that time of year but i know i can cope with the heat of the day and planning to walk the mornings and the afternoons. But my main question is about water sources, are there many water sources at or near campsites that aren't located at waterfalls and creeks?

thanks guys and any other tips or info would be great, Thankyou!

Jake
j_ak3
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Tabletop Track Info???

Postby philm » Tue 29 Jul, 2014 7:11 am

Jake

My understanding is that there is water at the various camps along the way and waterholes that you can swim in (assuming they have been cleared of salt water crocs).
I have not completed the walk but others in the forum have i ndicated water is fine to drink untreated.

I would call the parks office to find out more - detail are Park Office Head Office - Goyder Centre
Ph: (08) 8976 0282 25 Chung Wah Tce PALMERSTON NT 0830
Fax: (08) 8976 0292

Have a good trip - its meant to be a good walk.

Regards

Phil
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Lizzy » Tue 29 Jul, 2014 3:39 pm

Don't know about that area but I was on the Jatbula & found walking in the morning best- it did not cool down till bed time! So I would suggest to try & get the days walk done in the morning if possible.
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby j_ak3 » Tue 29 Jul, 2014 6:17 pm

Thanks For all the information Philm and Lizzy, Im looking forward to it and will post a trip report and photos!

Jake
j_ak3
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby bigkev » Sun 03 Aug, 2014 1:45 pm

Hi J_ak3

I did the walk a few years ago in September. We left from Florence Falls and walked clockwise.

The first day we crossed a few streams that had running water, although the first opportunity for a swim was at our camp on the upper reaches of Wangi Creek.

The second day we camped at Tjenya Falls and there was a trickle of water running down the rock (some deep pools for swimming though). There were ample opportunities to get water and swim during the day however.

The third day we camped at Walker Creek, plenty of swimming and drinking water, although a hot and dry walk over from Tyenya Falls.

On the fourth day we walked back to Florence Falls and there was good water for swimming and drinking in a couple of spots (although one spot required a bit of an off track detour).

Most of the water was fine untreated although I did treat the water at Tjenya Falls as there was minimal flow. The walk circumnavigates the Tabletop plateau so you don't have to worry about salties unless you head down off the plateau.

I did a trip report that I think I've posted before, here's the link http://hiking.topicwise.com/doc/tabletop , its got some photos and a bit of info.

Cheers
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby ofuros » Mon 04 Aug, 2014 8:08 am

Thanks for the extra pics, bigkev...next time I'm working in the Topend I'll use a couple of days of my r&r and complete this track.
Those cool pools would have been a godsend in the oppressive N.T. heat. :wink:
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby j_ak3 » Wed 06 Aug, 2014 6:02 pm

Wow, thanks bigkev, lots of great info. jut what i wanted to hear. and thanks for the like it was great to get a few good photos of the track!
j_ak3
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby kathyk » Fri 22 Aug, 2014 10:30 am

I have just returned ( late July 2014) after doing the TableTop Walk. I went with another lady and we did it over 4 nights. The trail is easy to follow - very well used and marked. We had each night to ourselves and enjoyed great water all the way - ie swimming and drinking. No day is difficult - the only hardship were the mozzies at night! Wow they were amongst the worst I have ever had and I have had a few mozzie trips :) This is not a remote walk as you can easily get down to the tourist areas and it was not a challenging walk, but on saying that it was enjoyable. We did not go down to Green Ant as did that as a day walk, which was pleasant. We also did not go down to Walkers Creek and we camped at the next camp area which was about 400mts off the trail. The water here is in a rainforest patch, and we were happy to drink it. We did walk down stream for about a 1km and found some decent running pools for our evening swim. Be warned - the toilets at the camp sites are a mile away, take loo paper and give yourself at least 15 mins for the return trip hahaah... why they were so far away will remain a mystery.
kathyk
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby Violet_Femme » Sun 15 Feb, 2015 6:17 pm

Bumping this up- I'm planning to do the Tabletop walk in early June during the Queens Birthday long weekend, pending weather.

Is there any transfers to the park? Or, is it worth just getting a taxi here from Darwin? I was originally going to hire a car but as it would be sitting in the car park for 4 days, was wanting to see if there were other better options.
Violet_Femme
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby philm » Wed 18 Feb, 2015 7:27 am

You can probably get a bus down the highway and then a lift from there?
Perhaps call the parks people and they could tell you.

Alternatively a hire car?
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Violet_Femme » Thu 19 Feb, 2015 8:15 pm

Thanks for the tip. I'll give the Parks office a call. I was trying to avoid hiring a car, but looks like that is the probably the best bet.
Violet_Femme
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Violet_Femme » Sat 27 Jun, 2015 11:04 am

thought I'd add a note after my trip. I ended up doing day walks and camping at the Walker Creek site. If doing the walk, at the time I went (early June), only the link path at Florence Falls had been 'cleared' so there was a path all the way to the Tabletop track.Otherwise, the grasses were as tall as me (4ft 11")
Violet_Femme
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby walk2wineries » Mon 06 Jul, 2015 10:16 pm

Violet_Femme wrote:Thanks for the tip. I'll give the Parks office a call. I was trying to avoid hiring a car, but looks like that is the probably the best bet.

I realise that you've done your trip now - thanks for info - couple of lateral suggestions for anyone else ..

I'm at the Coolalinda Caravan Park tonight - slightly downmarket option I think (just south of Darwin) but I felt lazy and the sun was in me eyes... The adjacent shopping centre has a community notice board which included requests from CP residents for work. Might be worth seeing what they'd charge to run you in...
Also, the Batchelor Visitors Information centre is of course separate from the Parks....ask them as well

Wangi had a large section of parking set aside for Tourist busses so maybe they'd take you one way.

D
walk2wineries
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Violet_Femme » Wed 23 Dec, 2015 12:12 pm

Hi walk2wineries,

cheers for this- I didnt see your message. I'm planning to head back to NT sometime next year so will keep this in mind.

JC
Violet_Femme
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory