Cape to Cape planning

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Cape to Cape planning

Postby earthgrace » Sun 28 Dec, 2014 10:12 pm

Pre-planning phase. Suggestions welcome.

A few questions: North to south or south to north? How reliable are the water stops? What is your experience with weather or the terrain?

earthgrace
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Re: Cape to Cape planning

Postby Eljimberino » Mon 29 Dec, 2014 10:54 am

It's a difficult walk, in my opinion. There's a lot of beach and dune walking that is energy sapping. Ankle high shoes you can take off to beach walk are a bonus. The flies are bad in Nov-dec. give yourself 7-8 days because you'll probably only do it once.

Autumn when the winds are sedate and temps cooler is my tip.

Ride On
Eljimberino
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby earthgrace » Mon 29 Dec, 2014 10:53 pm

Thanks, Eljimberino - I was wondering about the beach sections, so that's good to know in advance. Forgot about flies! Autumn sounds good. Wasn't sure whether to go for autumn or spring :) Was thinking to allow 7 days, I've heard it can be done in less but wanted to be sure to have time.
earthgrace
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Eljimberino » Tue 30 Dec, 2014 7:24 am

All the water points from the latest maps are accurate. If you take a filter there are a few extra options.

7 days is about right.

Ride On
Eljimberino
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walk2wineries » Tue 30 Dec, 2014 9:14 pm

Give it an extra day and include the lovely Meelup track from Dunsborough to Cape Naturaliste.
I always like heading south.
Also... there is a Lamonts (of Lamonts winery) at Smiths Beach, just past Canal rocks, they do great lunches. Yallingup - good pub. Conto's is a lovely camping ground, good 1km walking track to the caves which has a café... add another day. I am sure you know that the Friends of the Cape to Cape can help advise re accommodation/transport; there are now 2 vendors at least offering guided and self-guided inn to inn walks but its probably much cheaper and not too hard to organise that yourself.
walk2wineries
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby earthgrace » Thu 01 Jan, 2015 6:17 pm

Thanks, walk2wineries. Lots of yummy tips I didn't know about. Yes, I've been looking up info from the Friends group. Probably just interested in the transport side.
earthgrace
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby InspirationOutdoors » Mon 05 Jan, 2015 6:14 pm

- Definitely walk North to South. You can have your car moved from Cape Nat to Cape Leeuwin by Kel's Designated Drivers 0429 272 309.
- Autumn is better than spring as you won't have the river crossings but no wildflowers. May is beautiful.
- They usually top up the water tanks at Easter time so if you go in May it shouldn't be a problem. Check with DPAW though.
- 8 days is good including driving to and from Perth

It is a great walk. I think I have done at least 15 times now and still love it.

Cheers,

Simon
InspirationOutdoors
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Inspiration Outdoors

Postby Aushiker » Tue 06 Jan, 2015 4:22 pm

I have done it both ways and would factor in the winds ... if you are walking at a time of the year you where you are likely to get the trade winds I would go south to north, otherwise north to south is good. Water has never been a problem for me at the campsites, but I am guessing there is still that two day section with no water unless you go via Contos [cannot quite recall the details at the moment].

My thoughts and write-ups on both walks can be found here.

Andrew
Andrew
Aushiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby earthgrace » Tue 06 Jan, 2015 10:45 pm

Thank you, Simon and Andrew. Simon, I saw your tour page - you look well set up! Great notes, Andrew, your detailed account is helpful. Looks appealing except, except for the steep sand dunes!
earthgrace
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Obelix » Thu 08 Jan, 2015 2:55 am

Recently completed C2C from North to South in September 2014. Southward bound proved to be the right choice with sun behind me & very little off shore wind in the face.
I carried a 3L water bladder which allowed me the freedom to camp at locations along the way. Water was plentiful at campsites in September but it only takes one hot day as I found out between the Yallingup & Quininup waterfall. Sometimes even 3L is not enough!
Weather was good on the whole but expect the unexpected. I experienced a stormy day after the very hot day.
Terrain? It can be a challenge finding the right zone in which to walk on the sand. In fact the sand was soft going & no sweet spot was encountered.
Enjoy the walk.
Obelix
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Intrepid Hiker » Wed 14 Jan, 2015 10:46 am

I also completed the Cape to Cape fairly recently, beginning of October 2014 North to South. It took me 7 days and 6 nights of camping, could have been a day less. Yeah, like everyone else has already mentioned, it's a very beautiful walk and water is not much of a problem. There aren't many difficult dunes but the one that stands out is from Quininup beach. If you are going to camp out like I did, get a very comfortable backpack and hiking boots. A backpack that does not strain your shoulders and has good lumber support, sturdy hiking boots will make the hard stony surfaces more comfortable to walk. I plan to walk this track again and include the Meelup trail.

Good Luck.
Intrepid Hiker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby elinekl » Tue 03 Mar, 2015 3:35 pm

What about doing this hike in july? Or is this bad time of the year?
elinekl
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Aushiker » Tue 03 Mar, 2015 11:01 pm

elinekl wrote:What about doing this hike in july? Or is this bad time of the year?

July is likely to be pretty wet and cold. Not the best fun.

Andrew
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby earthgrace » Wed 04 Mar, 2015 12:30 am

I might not have known about spring vs autumn, but I personally would find July too wet and cold too.
earthgrace
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby elinekl » Tue 10 Mar, 2015 3:51 pm

any other hikes around perth that I could do in July? Or should I go to another part of australia?
elinekl
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby InspirationOutdoors » Tue 17 Mar, 2015 7:21 pm

elinekl wrote:any other hikes around perth that I could do in July? Or should I go to another part of australia?

I would head to the north of WA. Kimberley and the Pilbara are both great in July. Kalbarri is also nice at that time. Avoid the South West until September.

Cheers,

Simon
InspirationOutdoors
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Inspiration Outdoors

Postby LauraM » Thu 14 May, 2015 9:47 pm

Just wanted to let those interested in planning the Cape to Cape that I have just completed this walk in May (2015). I used support from two accommodation places who organised to drop my car at the end of each day's walk and drop me off at the start. They can also provide breakfast, lunch and dinner - if required. Made the whole thing really easy for me and I recommend it to the lazy walker who doesn't want to take tent and supplies. For the Northern part of the walk I used Wyadup Brook Cottages http://www.wyadupbrook.com.au/ and the Southern part Wrenwood Chalets http://www.wrenwoodchalets.com. I did it with a friend and the price was very reasonable.
LauraM
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Postby swampy05 » Wed 10 Feb, 2016 8:45 pm

Thanks Laura have checked out those two places and they look great - hoping to get a party of 6 to 8 together for October 2016 - you may recall we met at Youngs Hut recently Tony Marsh
swampy05
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory