Help finding particular mountain in Flinders Ranges

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Help finding particular mountain in Flinders Ranges

Postby epimetheus » Fri 22 May, 2015 5:26 pm

Dear users, I im new to this forum, I've been researching the Flinders Ranges and walks there, when I came upon this picture (Link attached), Ive seen it everywhere and am desperate to go there.
Ive tried searching this image on google, and looking up every lookout in the Flinders, but I cant seem to find it. It looks a lot like Bunyeroo valley, but the peak in the background doesnt look like St.Marys peak or abrupt peak. It also seems similar to a particular area near of Brachina Gorge. If anyone recognises this place or can help me with this it would be much appreciated, thanks!

p.s I know this view is facing south because of the direction of the shadows at sunset, and that to the east appears to be very wide flat terrain so this area might be in the west part of the ranges? If this helps.
Attachments
image.adapt.1663.medium.jpg
epimetheus
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: South Australia

Re: Help finding particular mountain in Flinders Ranges

Postby philm » Tue 26 May, 2015 9:24 am

No sure of the exact location but looks like the Gammon Ranges near Arkaroola?
Why I say this is the Northern Flinders is a lot dryer and there is a lack of scub - like in your photo?
Around the central ranges rainfall is much higher and there are native pines and more vegitation?
I could be wrong but just a thought to look futher North.
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby eggs » Tue 26 May, 2015 10:58 am

I am pretty confident that this is Mt Falkland - at the top of the Heysen Range were it meets Parachilna Gorge.
It is from the north - a very unusual angle - but shows it up really well.
I have not been up the Oratunga/Glass Gorge road - but I suspect that is what you can see on the RHS, and I suspect the people had ascended from off that road.
There are a couple of 700+m peaks in that area - but I think this is much lower - probably right next to the road on a rise above Kirbin Well.

This is a photo of Falkland from due east.
Falkland5161sm.jpg
Mt Falkland

This is from the top of Falkland looking towards where the photo would have been taken.
6654ViewNorth.jpg
Looking North from Mt Falkland

There are some walk descriptions on this thread:
http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7740
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby peregrinator » Tue 26 May, 2015 11:51 am

South from Glass Gorge Road_0226.jpg
South from Glass Gorge Road
eggs wrote:I am pretty confident that this is Mt Falkland - at the top of the Heysen Range were it meets Parachilna Gorge.
It is from the north - a very unusual angle - but shows it up really well.
I have not been up the Oratunga/Glass Gorge road - but I suspect that is what you can see on the RHS, and I suspect the people had ascended from off that road.
There are a couple of 700+m peaks in that area - but I think this is much lower - probably right next to the road on a rise above Kirbin Well.

Eggs, your confidence is well-founded. I think the photograph would have ben taken from a knoll beside the Glass Gorge Road, 3km south of Kirbin Well.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby epimetheus » Tue 26 May, 2015 9:28 pm

Thank you so much! This was really bothering me that I couldn't find it! Thanks so much!
epimetheus
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory