Larapinta trail

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Larapinta trail

Postby TLSNUGGLES10 » Fri 14 Aug, 2015 9:34 pm

My husband and I are wanting personal thots on their experience in this track...we are thinking on doing it June 2016 starting Alice springs telegraph end...what advice, warnings suggestions etc for us would you recommend? This is our first mulitple nite hike, our first major hike...tho we plan on doing some over night tracks bfore this one any and all info is appreciated and VERY welcome
TLSNUGGLES10
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Western Australia

Re: Larapinta trail

Postby Lizzy » Sat 15 Aug, 2015 6:48 am

I haven't done this walk but there have been some very thorough trip reports on this forum if you have a browse around. Shoe selection sounds important as it is VERY rocky....
Try this one...
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=14504
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby north-north-west » Sat 15 Aug, 2015 6:53 pm

It's a big undertaking for your first major multi-night walk. But no reason you won't manage if you're properly prepared and you don't try to rush it.
If you haven't already done so, get the Walker's Pack from NT Parks - it's comprehensive, including maps and notes on major watersources, obstacles and campgrounds.

Footwear is important but, contrary to what some people say, boots are not necessary. Strong walking shoes (not lightweight runners) are best. I would also suggest gaiters if you're wearing shorts. Spinifex is not forgiving.

It's a brilliant walk, well marked, and the track generally in very good condition. Always carry plenty of water, and make sure you know how far it is to the next reliable source. Fill up whenever you find good water, even if you don't think you've been using much. It's better to carry more than you need than to run out.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby rocketrm2 » Thu 20 Aug, 2015 11:02 pm

Just done it, would recommend boots its very rocky.
Great trail and very well marked. 2 new overnight shelters have been built
rocketrm2
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby eggs » Fri 21 Aug, 2015 9:25 am

Are the new shelters at existing sites?

PS - there is another trip report of a more fragmented approach here - http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=14823
Last edited by eggs on Fri 21 Aug, 2015 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 21 Aug, 2015 10:46 am

Those rocky NT tracks have rocks with sharp edges, they call for footwears that have rigid soles, boots or not. Otherwise it's so easy to bruise one's feet. Nasty stuff.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby north-north-west » Fri 21 Aug, 2015 5:33 pm

*shrug*
My Merrell Moabs suffered more from a few off-track walks down here than from the 450 odd kilometres I did on the Larapinta. A strongly made, well-ventilated shoe is adequate - and far more comfortable.

Still, if people are going to feel more confident in boots, let them wear boots. Not my problem.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby wildlight » Sat 22 Aug, 2015 12:53 pm

north-north-west wrote:*shrug*
My Merrell Moabs suffered more from a few off-track walks down here than from the 450 odd kilometres I did on the Larapinta. A strongly made, well-ventilated shoe is adequate - and far more comfortable.

Still, if people are going to feel more confident in boots, let them wear boots. Not my problem.

I'm a MOAB user too. For all my walks, in all terrain. NNW's observation about the well-ventilated shoe is right on. I would not use a goretex-lined shoe on the Lara, which I've walked 5 times.

Regarding people's thoughts on soles- the stiff sole of some shoes sometimes transmits more discomfort than a springy, supple sole- at least that's how it is for me. Shoes like the Moab seem to allow my feet to work <-(that's not a typo) over jagged uneven rocks better than stiff-soled shoes or boots.

If I could add something to the great advice already on this thread- try to test your footwear on similar, unpleasant rocks before your trip. Not round river rocks, but sharp broken, angular rough ones- and if you're not thrilled with the "fit", get something better before you go. It really is "bad money saved" to compromise on foot comfort.

Just regarding the walk itself- you can underestimate food and still have an ok (or better!) time- but don't underestimate water. Don't hesitate to camp wild and early- if it looks like you're running behind for the end-of-day original plan. It's likely you won't have far to go, to reach the next tank if you have a "dry" camp.

Section 9 can be a darling or a dog- in a good season, you will get water in Waterfall Gorge, Pioneer Ck and Inarlanga Pass. You just need to keep your eyes open and read the signs.

On the timing, and days needed- I have found not to have a "set" plan is best for me. I book my homeward flight when I am within cooee of finishing. I work hard to not engineer the timing of the walk to "make it to" a return flight I have booked for an exact date weeks away. Yeah you might pay a bit more for the ticket- but the lack of "must be there on time" is one of the things I look forward to when out there.

Cheers

WildLight
wildlight
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby aNomaly » Tue 24 Nov, 2015 6:47 pm

This is a wonderful walk to do as an intro to walking, as it's well marked and relatively going.
I undertook it this year, about the same time you're planning on doing it, and whilst some of the nights were certainly chilly, I found the experience easy going, completing the walk in 12 days, solo, and without food drops.

The track is very well marked, and at that time of year, water should be fine. I was able to find water by wandering up along Fringe Lilly Creek, breaking up the distance between Birthday Waterhole and Hugh Gorge.

Whilst they're exposed, I highly recommend camping at Brinkley Bluff, Giles Lookout, and Rocky Bar Lookout (you're literally looking out at Sonder).

The Ochre Pits - a turn off before the Inarlanga Pass, are wonderful to visit, especially before walking through the pass. It's very exposed though, so try get it done early.

I gave myself a rest day by camping at Two Mile Beach, then wandering in to Glen Helen Gorge and chilling out for ages (and scoffing not enough chips), then walking the relatively small amount to Rocky Bar Lookout.

Chill out at Redbank Gorge, then climb Sonder for sunrise on your final day. I maybe cried.

Get used to carrying weight on your feet. That's probably the biggest thing.
Oh, and talc. I fell in love with talc.

Any questions?
aNomaly
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory