Starting out - Newbie older folks

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Starting out - Newbie older folks

Postby Squeak » Tue 01 Sep, 2015 12:48 am

Hi folks,

Im new here and new to walking in the OZ Bush.

My wife and I are looking at starting the bib and doing it in sections. We're Perth locals so would like to do one or 2 night treks when we can.

I issue i have is that when looking at the Bib sections, there seems to be quite a few where single overnighters are not really do-able, due to Car access issues.

For instance, we were looking at walking from Kalamunda to Ball creek as our first walk, but getting picked up from Ball Creek seems difficult. But walking from Kala, to Hewitts Hill seems a little short for a day hike and overnighter, then walking to Mundaring and being picked up.

Am I missing something (i often do) here or is it difficult to do single overnighters on the track?
Squeak
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Re: Starting out - Newbie older folks

Postby Redtail » Wed 02 Sep, 2015 1:40 pm

The Bibbulmun Track Foundation https://www.bibbulmuntrack.org.au/ is a very useful place to start. The website is a wealth of information itself. The office is staffed by very friendly and helpful people - usually staffed by "older folks". It's worth dropping in if you have the time, otherwise phone.
They did have a small publication on suggested 2 and 3 day walks. I don't know if it's still in print.
Yes, single overnighters are not that easy to come by. It's a long track in a big state!

New guide books have been published, but I don't know how recent the maps are. Maps clearly show access and parking points.

While the Kalamunda to Mundaring Weir walk does look short, it's a handy one to start as a bit of a "shake down" trip. Especially if you're new to the Aussie bush. It provides easy access, plenty of roads not far away if you need assistance. Not to mention a great pub for lunch at the end. A handy incentive for anyone collecting you!)

Another option is from Mundaring Weir or Perth Hills Discovery Centre out to Helena and return. Ball Creek is not a very popular stop with many walkers.

Then there's Brookton Hwy to Canning and return. Or to Mt Dale and return (or pickup at Mt Dale).
Or Sullivan Rock to Monadnocks, return via Herold Rd.
Overnight parking is an issue with both Brookton Hwy and Sullivan Rock. Vandalism is unfortunately a frequent problem. You're best to arrange drop-offs and pickups.
Nth Bannister into White Horse Hills, and return via forest tracks is also a nice trip.

I hope that gives you something to start with.
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick
Redtail
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Donovan » Wed 02 Sep, 2015 7:33 pm

Hi Squeak,

I'm a first time poster here myself (though a long time lurker), but I'm fairly regular walker of the Bibbulmun Track, having completed Walpole to Albany and Kalamunda to Mt Cooke. I think I can be of some help as in May my wife and I decided to start from scratch and are working on completing an End to End of the Bibbulmun in sections. As busy working people, we don't have enough leave to do the whole thing in one go (as much as we'd love to!), so I've had to divide the track into day walks were possible with a few multiday walks done over long weekends and using some annual leave, especially in the sections between Balingup and Walpole that are a bit more remote.

There are many sections of the track that would be very difficult to do as day walks due to lack of roads or roads that are closed to vehicles due to the risk of spreading Dieback, however more of the track can be completed in this manner than you'd think and even more when you include overnighters or three day walks. Walking most weekends since May (Bibbulmun plus day walks on other tracks), my wife and I two walks away from completing the track from Kalamunda to North Bannister, and will only need to do one overnighter to achieve this. Here are some ideas for starters covering Perth to North Bannister:

Kalamunda to Perth Hills Discovery Centre via Hewitt's Hill - gives you a bit longer to walk on your second day and takes you as far to the furthest car entry point before the Disease Risk Area that prevents car entry between the Discovery Centre and Dale Rd

Perth Hills Discovery Centre to Dale Rd via Ball Creek, Helena, Waalegh and Beraking - this can be done as either two double hut days or double hutting to Helena, then staying at Waalegh on a second night and then doing Waalegh to Dale Rd the next day

Dale Rd to Marginata Rd via Mt Dale, Brookton and Canning - Dale Rd to Brookton (about 10kms), then Brookton to Canning (about 11kms) and then another 6 kms to Marginata Rd via Four Ways. Marginata Rd is a good, little known entry point but can be a bit confusing to find (I have photos if you need help finding it). Brookton Campsite is currently burnt down but is supposedly being replaced later this year.

Marginata Rd to Sullivan Rock via Monadnocks - A bit over 20kms. Marginata Rd to Monadnocks is fairly easy if uneventful apart from crossing the Canning River, however Monadnocks is an excellent campsite. The walk over the two peaks the next day makes this is a very rewarding section, and then walking over Sullivan Rock to the carpark is a great way to finish it. We did this as a day walk a few weeks ago.

Sullivan Rock to Powerline Rd via Mt Cooke - Takes from Sullivan Rock to Mt Cooke Campsite then over Mt Cooke itself. Although Mt Cooke is harder than the two peaks from Monadnocks, at 13kms this can be done fairly easily as a day walk if you're relatively fit. I suggest Powerline Rd instead of the Mt. Cooke Plantation carpark as Powerline Rd is the last entry point between here and North Bannister. Also you can't miss it!

Powerline Rd to North Bannister via Nerang and Gringer Creek - about 24kms all up.

Hope that helps!
Donovan
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Redtail » Thu 03 Sep, 2015 10:07 pm

Just on Monadnocks and Mt Cooke ...

The diversions are back in place for the forseeable future.
https://www.bibbulmuntrack.org.au/trip-planner/track-sections/the-darling-range/s-realignments/

A bit of a bummer!
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick
Redtail
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Donovan » Fri 04 Sep, 2015 12:07 am

Damn, definitely a bummer!

We were going to walk Powerline Rd to Gringer Creek last weekend but decided to put it off until next weekend, so I guess there goes that plan! Shame as both those sections were closed less than 3 months ago in exactly the same places... you'd think they would have done whatever they needed to do then. Oh well, just means we'll have to head a bit further south and get some of the Dwellingup sections done instead.
Donovan
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory