Cape to Cape walk Information

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Cape to Cape walk Information

Postby Mocha7 » Sun 20 Sep, 2015 1:15 am

Hello everyone! :D

Me and my friend are going to do the cape to cape walk! We are leaving on the 4th of October and I have some questions!
(We've never done anything like this before so sorry for all the newbie questions, hope yous don't mind I appreciate the help!)

We plan on camping out on camp sites every night.(except 1 night)

- What type of backpacks, shoes, tent and sleeping bags should we use? (Preferably the cheapest option please!)

- What's the track like during October? Not too windy? Are there river crossings?

- Is it possible to walk into Margaret river half way through the track? Not too hard of a walk? (we will stay the night in accommodation)

- How hard is the track? We are not the fittest people, but defiantly not too unfit!

- How much water should we carry?

- Will there be water at the camps along the way?

- Is ten days enough to complete the track if we plan on going to some wineries and staying in accommodation one night?

I think that's all! Thanks very much for your help! And sorry again for all the questions.. :roll:
Mocha7
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Re: Cape to Cape walk Information

Postby Aushiker » Sun 20 Sep, 2015 11:56 am

Mocha7 wrote:Hello everyone! :D

Me and my friend are going to do the cape to cape walk! We are leaving on the 4th of October and I have some questions!
(We've never done anything like this before so sorry for all the newbie questions, hope yous don't mind I appreciate the help!)

We plan on camping out on camp sites every night.(except 1 night)

- What type of backpacks, shoes, tent and sleeping bags should we use? (Preferably the cheapest option please!)

- What's the track like during October? Not too windy? Are there river crossings?

- Is it possible to walk into Margaret river half way through the track? Not too hard of a walk? (we will stay the night in accommodation)

- How hard is the track? We are not the fittest people, but defiantly not too unfit!

- How much water should we carry?

- Will there be water at the camps along the way?

- Is ten days enough to complete the track if we plan on going to some wineries and staying in accommodation one night?

I think that's all! Thanks very much for your help! And sorry again for all the questions.. :roll:

I have walked it three times now ... I have a summary blog posting which may help with at least some of your questions here.

Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Sun 20 Sep, 2015 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew
Aushiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby gayet » Sun 20 Sep, 2015 12:53 pm

might I suggest you start by doing a bit of research on what to expect. This will answer many of your questions like weather, river crossings, side trips possible. Check out Andrew's blog above - he has done it 3 times.

Try the Friends of the Cape site below - seems to have a wealth of info there.

http://www.capetocapetrack.com.au/
Hire gear of you can - if this sort of walk isn't for you, its much less than buying it.
gayet

Region: Victoria

Postby Hughesy » Mon 12 Oct, 2015 4:39 pm

How'd it go?
I've been doing a bit of research and want to attempt a weekend trip next month
Hughesy
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii