4-7 days track advice

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

4-7 days track advice

Postby jlbmdm » Thu 15 Oct, 2015 4:58 am

Hello, I’m planning some trekkings in West Australia during last days of November and first week of December and I'm not sure which one do I prefer.
Options: Cape to Cape walk and/or some part of the Bibbulmun trail (near Walpole or the northern stages). Which one is more interesting? (landscape, wilderness, isolation, forests, flies etc.) Pros and cons?
I don't have a car in Australia, so my plan is to use public transportation.
Thank you in advance
Jose
jlbmdm
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Re: 4-7 days track advice

Postby Mainley » Tue 10 Nov, 2015 9:50 pm

I have recently (September) walked the Cape to cape (North to South). It's a great walk and can comfortably be done in 7 days. We used public transport (Transwa road coach) to get Perth to Dunsborough and Augusta back to Perth - timetable and prices on transwa website. We took a taxi Dunsborough to Cape Naturaliste and hitched a ride from Cape Leeuwin to Augusta (8km). I would imagine water tanks would be ok end of November but maybe check with Friends of Cape to Cape.
Regardless I would take 3-4 litres a day minimum (it will probably be warm and walk is reasonably strenuous). You will need a tent as there are no shelters at camps. We saw some wise walkers with head fly nets ( bit naff but better than being driven demented by over friendly bugs).
Last week we walked Balingup - donnolly River Village on Bibb track - nice 3 day hike with 2 shelters- transwa run to Balingup and we used taxi DRV to Bridgetown for transwa back to Perth.
Hope this recent experience is some help to you
Mike
Mainley
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Re: 4-7 days track advice

Postby jlbmdm » Wed 11 Nov, 2015 9:20 am

Thank you Mike for your response. I'll walk Cape to Cape South to North, begining 28th of November. I'll take with me protection against mosquitos and other bugs :)
Jose
jlbmdm
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory