Bibbulmun track resupply

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Bibbulmun track resupply

Postby swarley » Sun 18 Oct, 2015 12:02 am

Hi, i am considering thru hiking the Bibbulmun track sometime next year. can i rely on purchasing all the food i need in the towns that lie along the track? i am hoping to just rely on buying supplies in the towns (food and methylated spirits for my stove) as my only form of resupply. any advice or tips greatly appreciated. thanks.
swarley
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Re: Bibbulmun track resupply

Postby Eljimberino » Sat 24 Oct, 2015 2:29 pm

Yes. Unless you need specific food the towns suffice. The longest stretch is Kalamunda to Dwellingup which usually takes about ten nights.
Eljimberino
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Bibbulmun track resupply

Postby Intrepid Hiker » Thu 19 Nov, 2015 5:11 pm

I still prefer dehydrating most of the food and sending it into the towns ahead of you. The first section is the longest as mentioned, however the other sections can stretch between 3-7 days depending on your abilities.
It also depends on your diet, carrying tinned foods, rice etc. including cooking implements can become too heavy. Do some multiple day hikes first and experiment to see how much food you need and which types of foods work for you on the trail.
Intrepid Hiker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory