Cape to Cape information

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Cape to Cape information

Postby Mainley » Fri 06 Nov, 2015 5:25 pm

We walked the track , N-S, in the second half of September - We (being 3 seniors), were not out to break any records so walked over 8 days and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The weather was kind with warm, dry days and contrary to expectations, a following breeze most of the time. We used a mix of overnight stops-
Day 1-
Cape Naturaliste - Smiths Beach
Overnighted at Chandlers Beach Villas - a bit of luxury ( at our age we think we deserve it!)

Day 2-
Smiths Beach - Moses Campsite
Camped overnight

Day 3-
Moses Campsite - Gracetown
Originally planned to walk through to Ellensbrook campsite but it was a hot day and we were told at Gracetown store that caravan park were happy to provide shuttle to and from park - stayed in chalet. Very friendly and helpful park owners- recommended.

Day 4-
Gracetown - Ellenbrook Campsite
Camped overnight - delightful locale- wildflowers were spectacular along whole walk but especially round here.

Day 5-
Ellensbrook - Prevelly (Margaret River)
Overnighted in Prevelly Beachside Villas (recommended- helpful owners and well appointed accomodation).

Day 6-
Prevelly - Contos Campsite
Camped overnight. Contos is a large campground and was hosting 3 large school groups the night we were there.
Because of the unseasonal warm weather, I was concerned about our water carrying capacity for the next day and am grateful to the female teacher (whose name I did not get), who gave us a 2 litre bladder - another 2 kilos on the back but no more thirst issues!

Day 7-
Contos Campsite- Hamlyn Bay Campground
Not much in the way of provisions but camp kitchen, toilets and showers were welcome. We also met Anne who had driven to Hamlyn Bay and was doing day walks from there.

Day 8-
Hamlyn Bay - Deepdene Campsite
Deepdene has 2 small campsites which we shared with a school group. Pitched my tent almost on top of a very drowsy, well fed Tiger snake - tent zippers were triple checked that night!

Day 9-
Deepdene - Cape Leeuwin (Augusta).
Guide warns of this stage being tough but I guess we had good conditions and it was no problem. While signing the register at end of walk, Anne (who we had met in Hamlyn Bay) appeared to give us a lift into Augusta (8km away) - it was like having our very own guardian angel - thanks Anne.
A beer on the terrace of the Augusta pub tasted the best!

All in all I would strongly recommend the walk - we found it tougher than expected - sand and rocky sections slowed us down but the scenery, flora and fauna, and variety of conditions made it very satisfying.
Mainley
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory