Heysen Trail - my "Thru hike" / end to end blog

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Heysen Trail - my "Thru hike" / end to end blog

Postby johnsj09 » Sat 14 Nov, 2015 9:22 pm

Hi guys, I just wanted to post a link to my last entry on my blog giving some tips from my experience on the trail. I had trouble finding information in my research for the trail, so I thought maybe someone could benefit from my experience.
https://neanderjoel.wordpress.com/2015/ ... nder-tips/

If the link doesn't work, let me know and I'll just copy and paste the text. I have plenty of other blog posts with lots of photos of the trail, but there's no shortage of those on the web!
Feel free to ask me any questions about it, I'll do my best to help :)
johnsj09
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Re: Heysen Trail - my "Thru hike" / end to end blog

Postby paul_gee » Mon 16 Nov, 2015 12:30 pm

Great post Johnsj09.

I'm keen to do the whole thing one day, but for now am happy knocking off sections as I can.
Crazy keen tramper / trekker / hiker. Former South Australian. Now, exploring the tracks around Melbourne and Victoria.
paul_gee
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Mon 16 Nov, 2015 3:36 pm

I stayed at Eagle Waterhole late last year, and also read the logbook from the guy who ran it in 14.5 days.

My parents walked the last third of the track (northern section) this year as a series of daywalks with ARPA - retired bushwalkers. They didn't seem to mind the walking on roads and fire trails - but that's not the kind of walking I enjoy.

Thanks for the link to your photos. I think the island on your 9th Nov post is not Granite Island, but rather "West Island". Granite Island has a causeway from the mainland is much closer to shore.
South_Aussie_Hiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby johnsj09 » Tue 24 Nov, 2015 2:06 am

Thanks, paul_gee. Easier to do it in sections when you're a local!
South_Aussie_Hiker - I thought I'd hate the road sections, but I just used it as an opportunity to zone out and listen to some podcasts / audio books. Maybe that's cheating, but hey, I enjoyed myself! Also you're probably right about West Island. I have a terrible memory for that sort of thing.
johnsj09
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Postby eggs » Tue 24 Nov, 2015 9:48 am

Thanks johnsj
The pyramid frames with circles on top are TRIG POINTs. They were/are used for surveying.
It is generally placed on the highest point around so that surveyors could take bearings on it to establish their relative position and height.

The square cutting in rock at Tourilie Gorge [which you have called Caroona] is where the old road went. It is a road cutting.

Loved the lizard on the fence :)

Pattersons Curse is also known as Salvation Jane. An imported plant, its name depends on whether you are a cattleman or a bee keeper.
We also have Blue Tongue lizards as distinct from Shinglebacks. [I have always called the Shinglebacks "Stumpy Tailed lizards"]

I have posted a few reports on sections of the Heysen Trail we have done. I am local and it is where we tend to go for winter hiking, but I do prefer to steer clear of the road sections.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby muffin man » Tue 24 Nov, 2015 4:29 pm

A good read and enjoyed the humour.
muffin man
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii