Deep Creek Conservation Park in summer

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Deep Creek Conservation Park in summer

Postby elly_claire » Wed 02 Dec, 2015 9:52 am

Hi gang,

This is my first post, so be gentle :)

My fella and I are spending a few days in Deep Creek Conservation Park (based at Stringy Bark campsite) between Xmas and New Year's, and are looking for some tips on day hikes etc. As it will most likely be stinking hot, can anyone suggest a hike to somewhere where we can dip our toes (or entire bodies) in some water (fresh or salt)? Also, due to the weather, are there likely to be track closures that we need to be aware of?

We are reasonable experienced hikers, but SA is new country for us. We also have a 4wd, but we'd rather not take it on beaches as neither of us have much sand driving experience.

Any hot tips would be greatly appreciated!

Elle
elly_claire
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Deep Creek Conservation Park in summer

Postby Clusterpod » Fri 04 Dec, 2015 9:45 am

Hi Elle. My wife an I spent a couple of weeks at the exquisite Stringy Bark campsite in high summer a few years ago.

We explored the tracks in the area, but only of the short/daywalk variety. The waterfall was "working" but that was the only water I can recall.

Lovely place.
Clusterpod
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby eggs » Fri 04 Dec, 2015 1:12 pm

I don't believe there are any track closures over summer, but there may be park closures on bad days.
It was a 21st December when we did the loop walk from Tapanappa to Trig via the waterfall and return via the cove. 11.2 km in a relaxed 4.5 hours, not including a break.
But it also happened to be a really wet and cold day that day. :shock:

Another walk would be down to Aaron Creek - probably starting from Cobbler Hill park - which is also the road into Blowhole Beach

With a 4WD, it would be easy to drive down to Blowhole Beach.
That is about the only spot I would swim down there, as the rest of the park coastline is very rocky, and often with very strong undertow and big waves.
It looks to be a reasonably sheltered spot - and it is a beautiful little beach.

3999Blowhole.jpg
Descending to Blowhole Beach along the Heysen Trail. The 4WD road comes almost down to the beach on the LHS of the photo.

While the lagoon at Deep Creek mouth can be quite large with the tide in, it is a very shallow pool. ok for feet dabbling.
The "beach" is a jumble of boulders exposed to some big seas - not so good.
Nice spot to visit though.

A longer return walk could be had to Tunkalilla Beach from Tapanappa. This is a glorious 5km beach which is outside the park boundary and subject to some big surf and rips, but you should find a few places to put in the feet.
We took a bit over 2 hours to walk one way from the western end to the car park at Tapanappa.
4456TunkalillaBeach.jpg
Western end of Tunkalilla Beach

There is a waterhole at the falls, but I don't know how good it would be for swimming.
It actually rained the day we visited in late Dec 2013, but with low flow, it looks like it can get a bit slimy.
DeepCreek1074.jpg
A view of the falls with about half the pool at the base.

Whatever you do, take sufficient water with you - both in the car and when you are walking. It can get very hot, and there won't be any reliable sources around.
Also be very aware of the fire warnings. The park has suffered some major fires at times - and there is really no where to go if you were caught in one.
I suspect they may even close the park on extreme fire danger days.

Have a great time - and I hope you get to see some whales.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby photohiker » Fri 04 Dec, 2015 2:33 pm

Also, be aware that Tunkalilla beach is known to regularly have sharks. I've been there twice and have seen sharks.

You will likely see surfers there on a good day. Hopefully, the sharks will get them first so you can leap out of the water :)
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Johnnie Walker » Mon 07 Dec, 2015 6:00 pm

This was the Victor Harbor weather in December 2014: http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/201412/html/IDCJDW5069.201412.shtml (Deep Creek is usually a few degrees cooler then Victor).

Blowhole beach is 4WD only because the track is a bit steep. No sand driving involved, there is a car park at the bottom and from there a short walk to the beach. From Blowhole beach you can follow the Heysen trail to the west but there is no beach access. Beautiful cliffs and Kangaroo Island views though.

We didn't see any water in Aaron Creek a few weeks ago but the Deep Creek Cove inlet might still have some water. Other option is the walk to Boat Harbor beach.

More info and maps here http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/parks/Find_a_Park/Browse_by_region/Fleurieu_Peninsula/deep-creek-conservation-park
Johnnie Walker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby paul_gee » Tue 08 Dec, 2015 3:04 pm

Johnnie Walker wrote:This was the Victor Harbor weather in December 2014: http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/20141 ... 1412.shtml (Deep Creek is usually a few degrees cooler then Victor).

I camped for a few days down at Long Point at the Coorong last Christmas. And recall kicking myself for not packing a fleece. It got damn chilly at night.

eggs wrote:That is about the only spot I would swim down there, as the rest of the park coastline is very rocky, and often with very strong undertow and big waves.

If you hike back towards Cape Jervis there are a few nice beaches and calm inlets along the way. One should exercise caution and commonsense at all times though, anywhere near the water on this part of the coast.

elly_claire wrote:We are reasonable experienced hikers, but SA is new country for us. We also have a 4wd, but we'd rather not take it on beaches as neither of us have much sand driving experience.

Blowhole is accessible by 4x4, but why not turn it into a day hike? Here's a potential route:

It'll give you a nice snapshot of the park, will challenge you, and will make that dip all the more worthwhile. The return (see blue line) can incorporate road most of the way back to the campsite if you're knackered. Or even a hitch.
Crazy keen tramper / trekker / hiker. Former South Australian. Now, exploring the tracks around Melbourne and Victoria.
paul_gee
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby whitefang » Tue 08 Dec, 2015 3:14 pm

paul_gee wrote:Blowhole is accessible by 4x4, but why not turn it into a day hike? Here's a potential route:

It'll give you a nice snapshot of the park, will challenge you, and will make that dip all the more worthwhile. The return (see blue line) can incorporate road most of the way back to the campsite if you're knackered. Or even a hitch.

My suggestion would be to just drive down to the beach. Most of that route you will see from the car and on a hot day the climb out from the beach is very challenging. For walking my suggestion would be to do the Aaron Creek Circuit as well as walking down to deep creek cove from Trig Campground and up to Tapanappa lookout and then following the Heysen Trail back to Trig campground.
whitefang
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory