Cape to cape or Bibbulman track

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Cape to cape or Bibbulman track

Postby Sasha » Wed 06 Jan, 2016 7:58 am

Hi

We are coming from NSW to walk in WA late September early October this year. All up including flying to and from Sydney we will have three weeks.

Would be have better scenery doing the Cape to Cape and about 9 or 10 days south of Walpole in the Bibbulman track, or would it be better to to the last two sections of the Bibbulman track, from Walpole to Albury ?

If we do combine them, which 10 days in the last two sections of the Bibbulman track is most scenic?

We are both experienced walkers so track difficulty isn't an issue..seeing the most beautiful and varied scenery is!

Thanks for help
Sasha
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Cape to cape or Bibbulman track

Postby makinbacon » Fri 08 Jan, 2016 3:10 pm

Can't really compare but I'll be doing Albany-Walpole in about a months time so I'll post back any thoughts after then. Theres also a Bibbulman Track Facebook group thats a lot more active than here with locals if you want to bounce anything off them.
makinbacon
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Postby Tintin » Mon 11 Jan, 2016 12:43 pm

I was was in Walpole over Christmas, but didn't do any hiking. The tingle forests around the region are world class so I would definitely recommend a leg between Walpole-Albany as you should also get a taste of the coast line too.

If it is convinient for you I would do through hike the cape to cape and then do 10 days from Walpole to Denmark (125kms), or Denmark to Albany (85km) if strapped for time. Although doing both will be a bit of a slog as the cape to cape you end up on the beach at times and you calfs will get a serious work out.
Tintin
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby awildland » Tue 12 Jan, 2016 6:44 pm

We visited WA last year and of the two options you mention we would recommend the Bib track for variety of scenery. We drove the cape to cape coastline, dropping in at many track points along its length. It is lovely. We walked the Bib track from conspicuous point to Denmark. We met a guy who was walking the whole Bib and he said it had been the most varied section and most enjoyable. Certainly good variety - from forest to some rugged wild coast. We only walked as far as Denmark. Distances between huts and towns on that section of the bib track are long (lots of sand walking too) but the huts are terrific. Also if u have time don't forget about the Stirling Ranges and Cape Le Grande - no really long walks but truly beautiful places.
awildland
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jacko1956 » Mon 18 Jan, 2016 6:34 pm

At that time of year I would recommend the Bib for the wildflowers and the variety, but the Cape to Cape might be your easiest to plan option. However the Bib also wins for the shelter/hut network that far exceeds the facilities of the Cape to Cape..
As you are flying I assume the best option of driving some of the southwest and walking other bits is not practical.
For about 10 days of walking seeking a visual experience I believe the southern portion from Walpole (Mandalay Beach) to Albany is the best option.
For a 10 day block using access points on bus routes, Walpole to Denmark or Albany depending on your speed is the easiest "block".
If you had easy access to a vehicle and drop off/pick up arrangements, I would try and do some sort of "sampler" tour. There is an excellent taste of the jarrah forest by doing Brookton Hwy to Albany Hwy. Balingup to Donnelly River Village and Pemberton to Northcliffe are great forest walks. Mandalay Beach to Walpole is often overlooked. Conspicuous Beach to the Tree Top Walk is a must do section - karri AND the rare and very special tingle trees. Tennessee South Road (between Nullaki and West Cape Howe huts) to the windfarm near Albany is stunning coast.

I have not been on this site much of late as I have been busy moving from Perth to 20km west of Denmark. My wife and I have just opened a bed and breakfast and hope to attract a hiking clientele. We are not on the Bib but offer anything from safe parking of a vehicle while you hike (without a need to stay with us) to a full daily shuttle and pickup and accommodation for people anywhere between Mandalay Beach and Albany. I put that in not to suggest you use us but to have it out there for any others that may be seeking something along those lines. PM me for details if interested or search on FaceBook for our page Casa Libelula. We should soon be listed as a Walker Friendly Business on the Bib Foundation site.
jacko1956
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Sasha » Fri 22 Jan, 2016 8:16 pm

Thanks for these really helpful replies .
Sasha
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby LAMEA-Gals » Tue 26 Jan, 2016 8:48 am

Hi Sasha
We did the Cape to Cape last year when the section of the Bibb we were going to do was closed because of fires. We are also from NSW and are doing the Bibb in sections (one more to go near Perth!). In my opinion the Bibb between Walpole and Albany outclasses the Cape to Cape significantly. As Jacko said the hut network on the Bibb is superb but the scenery between Walpole and Albany feels far more pristine, diverse and dramatic. The Cape to Cape's northern end also feels very developed - lots of surfers, caravan parks, roads and lots of daytrippers.

The TransWA bus network makes the Walpole to Albany transport very easy - and if you can factor in a rest day in Denmark even better.
LAMEA-Gals
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory