Larapinta

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Larapinta

Postby gboon » Sat 13 Jun, 2009 9:30 pm

We are planing to do the Larapinta (Alice Springs) early in July this year, does anyone have any words of wisdom on the track and local conditions? :D

I have heard through the grapevine that tents may age quicker from the conditions and invertabrates, does anyone know anything about this? :?

Cheers!!
gboon
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Larapinta

Postby wobbly » Sun 14 Jun, 2009 1:18 pm

Hi This is a great walk.. IMHO its the best walk in Aus- certianly its the best on the big island. (okay if it wasn't for my fear of heights the WA's might just pip it) I've done it (well bits of it) twice both times starting at Jay Creek and walking west. On our first trip we ran into a bushfire near Hugh Gorge so ended up missing the bit from there to Ormiston. On the second walk we just walked from Jay Creek to Ellery Big Hole. On both trips most of us didn't use tents at all, just taking imperimable ground sheets big enough to wrap over the top in case of rain. It's a really geat place to sleep out under the stars and there are no bugs to speak of. Those that did take tents didn't find any issues with them suffering any wear at all. What will suffer wear more than normal will be your boots. You'll spend a lot of time on hard ground and sharp cutting rocks and your boots will end up looking like they been attacked by a cheese grater. I can recommend spending a night on top of Brinkley Bluff, the side trip up to the top of Hugh Gorge and the high route between Millers Flat and Jay Creek. At the western end beers at Glen Helen, Mt Sonder, a day walk through Orimston Gorge are all must do's and if the water is down try and get up Redbank gorge- an extremely cold (cramping and drowning risking) swim if the water is up.

cheers
Peter
Last edited by wobbly on Tue 23 Feb, 2010 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wobbly
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby north-north-west » Mon 15 Jun, 2009 4:02 pm

You don't swim up Redbank Gorge - you paddle up (and back down) on an air mattress - preferably wearing a wetsuit, 'cause that water is freezing!
Or if you're aquaphobic, you can scrub-bash your way up to the far end - on either side of the gorge. It's not far. But the gorge itself is the most stunning thing you'll see in the West MacDonnells.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby elo » Mon 15 Jun, 2009 6:56 pm

Hey Gboon!

I may see you up there. I'm walking the track early July too, West to East.

There is a question I have, and I can't seem to find a clear answer anywhere. Maybe someone here will know?
In terms of camping, is one allowed to stay anywhere? I can only take 14 days to walk the whole track, and following Parks suggestions takes about 3 weeks. So I'd like to lengthen some stages and camp in between "official" spots. Any advice?

Thank you!
elo
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby wobbly » Mon 15 Jun, 2009 8:18 pm

Hi Elo
There are a few spots you aren't supposed to camp e.g near Fish Hole, in Stanley Chasm itself, on the beach at Ellery Big Hole or anywhere between it and the pass over the range to the east of Ellery. This info is on most of the parks services maps/pamplets and I figure if they list places where you can't camp the rest must be okay.
At places like Ellery Big Hole, Ormiston gorge and Stanley Chasm you are expected to stay in the offical camp grounds but away from these area its pretty much anywhere you like. We've found our own campsites along the trail- used them and never had any issues. Of course you do have to carry more water. The offical campsites are the only ones with guaranted water.

cheers
wobbly

Postby north-north-west » Mon 15 Jun, 2009 8:39 pm

elo wrote:Hey Gboon!

I may see you up there. I'm walking the track early July too, West to East.

There is a question I have, and I can't seem to find a clear answer anywhere. Maybe someone here will know?
In terms of camping, is one allowed to stay anywhere? I can only take 14 days to walk the whole track, and following Parks suggestions takes about 3 weeks. So I'd like to lengthen some stages and camp in between "official" spots. Any advice?

Thank you!

Yeah, get a copy of Chapman's guide to the track. Gives you everything you need to know, detailed directions and maps for all the side trips as well.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby elo » Thu 18 Jun, 2009 9:16 am

Thanks for these very quick answers!

I had a look at Chapman's book. Exactky what I was looking for. Thanks for the suggestion.
elo
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby tastrax » Fri 19 Jun, 2009 2:07 pm

I dont suppose anyone has a KML file of the track for Google Earth?
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby photohiker » Fri 19 Jun, 2009 2:46 pm

There's one here. Dates to 2006. It's not so much a trail as a series of waypoints and photos. If you open it in Google Earth and play it with terrain enabled it's pretty good.

Andrew Priest also has put one up of campsites used here.

Found on Google. Larapinta's on my wishlist too.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tastrax » Fri 19 Jun, 2009 7:12 pm

Thanks - I have those, but I am really looking for a good track file to load up to the gps. All else fails I can digitise one from the maps but that wont be nearly as accurate.
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby Bill » Thu 09 Jul, 2009 3:29 pm

My wife and I did the Larapinta trail and Mt Zeil in 2005. IMHO at least a basic tent is vital. It has been known to rain, and if it doesn't you will be very grateful for the shelter from the flies. The track is hard on shoes and replacements in Alice are pretty much limited to Scarpa and Hi-Tec. I finished the walk in KT's because no-one had my size in anything else. Prevailing winds are from the east. A fact I overlooked when planning my bicycle shuffles. Food drops are most definitely at risk and must be well concealed to avoid plunder by persons who consider their own need greater than yours. Hitching back to Alice from major tourist stops is reasonably easy. Just walk up to some one with a nice looking car and ask. Enjoy your walk, the Larapinta Trail is something special.
Bill
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Earthling » Mon 12 Oct, 2009 9:40 pm

The walk is joy. Rugged and beautiful.
Should be doable in 2 weeks if your fit.
Camping inbetween official sites is frowned upon as I remember it, however if you do no impact camping no one is going to come along and say move on.
I only used a tarp, however, I did have a day of good rain which luckily coincided with a night at one of the main camp sites where a wee shed was used by me and another couple for shelter. I would take a small light weight tent next time (tarptent Contrail). Dew in the mornings can sometimes be a problem.
I wore Brooks Beasts, a running shoe and they finished in very good order. No sign of real rock bashing. If you do bash your shoes around use leather, but no need to if you dont.
I left foood at the usual recomended sites and no dramas. Make sure the kiosk is open on your arrival day if your using it for a fooddrop.
All in all a joy track well worth a visit.
As one fella commented whilst sharing the hut " Ive trekked in Nepal and until I came here, I hadnt seen anything come close"
Sent from my home planet Earth using the World Wide Web
Earthling
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jimbo42 » Sat 09 Jan, 2010 5:28 pm

I've done it from both directions.
West to east is better; you get the sun behind you in the afternoon, and the prevailing easterly wind cools you down. And you finish in civilisation for a good cleanup/pigout.
I have a detailed spreadsheet, which I can send to you if you get in touch with me. Lists campsites, water holes, and suggestions/advice/gear etc.
We did it in 19 days at a nice pace, without busting a gut like that crazy guy Phillip Loncke (who did Mt Zeil- The Alice in 12 days)
John Chapman used my notes in putting together his book.
It can get very cold; and it has rained on us; and there are dingoes and feral animals all over the place; you must take a tent and take precautions with your pack/food/boots. Water can be putrid, but there are some hidden springs/waterholes away from the track.

jimbo 42
jimbo42
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby iandsmith » Sun 06 Jun, 2010 12:35 am

As a day walker only, I must admit I love reading about you guys freezing in tents as I snuggle down in my motorhome. Gee I feel so sad on what I'm missing out on. I'll just put the jug on again and have a cuppa to calm me down.
Cheers all
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby trickos » Thu 18 Nov, 2010 2:31 pm

tastrax wrote:I dont suppose anyone has a KML file of the track for Google Earth?

Found this great website....www.larapintatrail.com
Not sure how old the website is but the last time I looked for a info on Larapinta a couple of months ago it certainly wasn't there.
Theres so much info here that you could just about hike the thing from your desk. Theres KMZ file for google earth as well as You Tube flyovers and walking cam for each section.
Check it out. I reckon it's the best trail website I've found anywhere. Even better than the US major trails websites.
trickos
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby explorersaustralia » Fri 19 Nov, 2010 3:12 pm

Hello Everyone,

we are the developers of http://www.larapintatrail.com.

Reference updates: This website is updated monthly and whenever updates come to us, or we see something along the trail that needs to be posted on the site.

Any questions about the Larapinta Trail, please email us ( contact@larapintatrail.com) or post a question. Happy to help.

trickos: Thanks for the positive comments regarding our site.

Cheers.

Zak
explorersaustralia
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Postby kayos_51 » Tue 04 Jan, 2011 12:57 pm

A group of us walked some of the Larapinta a couple of years ago and loved it. We particularly enjoyed a night on top of the high ridge east of Ormiston Gorge with its views across to Mt Giles. It made us want to go there. Last year a friend came across a description of a walk from somewhere around Hugh Gorge to Mt Giles - ie departing from the Larapinta Trail around Hugh Gorge and sticking with the Chewings Range. Does anyone have any info or suggestions on this route as we are keen to do it if possible.
kayos_51
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: South Australia

Postby explorersaustralia » Fri 28 Jan, 2011 5:10 pm

Hello Kayos, there are various ways to access Mt Giles from Hugh Gorge and other sections trailheads, but a permit is required from NT Parks to leave the trail.

Contact the local Parks office for more info:

Parks and Wildlife Service
PO Box 1120
Alice Springs
NT 0871
Australia
Tel: +61 8 8951 8250
Email: larapinta.trail [at] nt.gov.au
explorersaustralia
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia