Yorkes Peninsular walks

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Yorkes Peninsular walks

Postby fotosbysal » Fri 27 May, 2016 9:55 pm

Thinking of going camping up at Yorkes one weekend (when it stops raining!) and was wondering where the best spots would be for some good walks and night time shots of the stars, the less light pollution the better!
fotosbysal
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: South Australia

Re: Yorkes Peninsula walks

Postby beardless » Sat 28 May, 2016 8:40 am

Innes NP. There are camping spots, multiple short walks and a couple of part day walks, stunning coastline, beaches, and cliffs. I recommend the walk to Royston Head. Also Innes is mostly on the western side of Yorke Peninsula so there is less light pollution from Adelaide.

I have not camped in the park itself. It has the new booking system so you can book spots online.
beardless
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Re: Yorkes Peninsular walks

Postby danman » Wed 01 Jun, 2016 7:27 pm

You can pretty much walk the whole thing now: http://yorkepeninsula.com.au/walk-the-yorke
500km of continuous trail.

I'd be heading to Innes though for sure. Pretty spectacular place. The visitor centre has also re-opened now, so if you wanted to you can drive in (don't forget to pay vehicle entry!), check out all the campsites, then go back and book at the info centre.
danman
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory