Transport to northern terminus Heysen Trail

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Transport to northern terminus Heysen Trail

Postby jobell » Thu 02 Jun, 2016 11:49 am

Hey folks,

Starting to put together a plan for the Heysen Trail and trying to work out (budget fruendly) transport options to Parachilna Gorge either out of Adelaide or Port Augusta. Would anyone who has been there done that care to share their methods and recommendations?

Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R.Tolkien
jobell
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Transport to northern terminus Heysen Trail

Postby philm » Thu 02 Jun, 2016 12:22 pm

Look at genesis transport.com.au
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby eggs » Thu 02 Jun, 2016 1:05 pm

I have only ever driven through there with a private car.
When walking in the area we did a loop via the Angorichina village.
If we go to do the Heysen Trail proper it will be with 2 cars to enable a through walk, but then we are local and do it in smaller bites.

As for the genesis bus service philm points to - their timetable suggests they stop on the bitumen out at Parachilna on the plains.
It would be roughly a 14km walk from there to the trail head in the gorge proper.
Water will be the major concern in that part of the world.

You may like to advise when you are thinking of starting and a local might be able to work in some private transport?
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jez_au » Fri 03 Jun, 2016 9:31 am

That's true, Genesis does drop off at Parachilna town, not the gorge, and it's about 14km of dirt road to walk. Check the service is operating, it is seasonal I think.
There is water at Heysen Trail trailhead, but as this is accessible to vehicle travellers it can sometimes run dry. There is also a water tank at the Parachilna Gorge Hikers Campsite http://heysentrail.asn.au/heysen-trail/accommodation/provider/parachilna-gorge-hikers-campsite/ which is 500m south of the trailhead. Recent reports from hikers say that all tanks are well full.

Probably higher budget, for local transfer:
David & Sally Henery of Alpana Station operates a shuttle service for individuals or groups. Phone 08 8648 4626, email enquiries@frsct.com.au
blogs - www.jeremyc.com
peak bagging - peakclimbs.com
jez_au
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jobell » Sat 04 Jun, 2016 10:51 pm

Hello good info thank you. Thinking of starting very early September if I can get away. In some ways easier to access the southern end for a start as I will have my partner collecting me at the end, but it seems weather and temp wise it makes more sense to walk nth to sth.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
jobell
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby whitefang » Sat 04 Jun, 2016 11:39 pm

I like going southbound because the sun isn't in my eyes all day, but if you're thru hiking you'll be walking from the best scenery of the trail to the worst (imo). There is some pretty scenery here in the southern part of the trail, but nothing as beautiful as the Flinders Ranges.

In terms of temperature it probably makes more sense to start in the north, but it depends on how fast you plan to walk the trail. Average temperature in Oct is approx. 26C along the northern part of the trail. The other thing to consider would be fire danger season dates if you plan on going average speeds (around 60 days). You would need to be finished by November 1st if heading northbound or November 17th heading southbound (unless fire danger season starts early this year).
whitefang
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby oyster_07 » Sun 05 Jun, 2016 8:04 am

I've used the Genisis bus service previously, then walked from the Parachilna town pub drop-off to the trail-head. The previous poster is correct regarding it being a 14km walk along a dirt road. Depending on the pace you can push and the length of daylight, you can reach the trail-head in time for dinner. You may also be able to hitch a ride along if any vehicles pass.
oyster_07
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby jobell » Sun 05 Jun, 2016 7:43 pm

That sounds feasible Oyster-07, I like that for a plan! Plus the ride on the Saturday bus is a good 7.5 hours and I don't do sitting still very well, so I'll be very happy to get out and stretch my legs.

I would actually rather walk south to north, but I'm a bit concerned that September down South could be a little less fun due to colder/wetter weather. Other reasons for starting down south it that it would be easier for me to get to the southern terminus for a start and I know my partner would rather collect me from the Flinders Ranges as he likes the area and will be travelling a fair way to come and get me.

As always, half the fun is in the planning for me, the other half in the doing.

Timeframe wise, I'm guessing/planning about 50 days at this point including weekly rest days. I haven't broken it down into a walk plan yet which I will do fairly soon point of view of planning my resupplies. I'll be posting my own dehydrated meals to the towns along the way but buying the basics that I need in the towns. I do like to shop along the way as much as I can as well as stay a night and eat a meal out - not only for my own comfort and reward but so that the town sees some sort of return for having a trail pass through.
jobell
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory