Favourite parts of the Lavender Trail?

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Favourite parts of the Lavender Trail?

Postby roxyadelaide » Mon 04 Jul, 2016 8:03 pm

On Saturday I walked from Dutton to Brownlow Road, via Leake Lookout, Section 9 of the Lavender Federation Trail.

Has anyone else walked the Lavender Trail? If yes, what were your favourite bits and why?

I am looking for sections that have hills & as little road walking as possible.
roxyadelaide
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Re: Favourite parts of the Lavender Trail?

Postby roxyadelaide » Sat 24 Dec, 2016 12:07 pm

On January 14 2016 I am doing the 1st section of the Lavender Trail, Murray Bridge to Monarto as an evening hike. (almost a full moon)

Aiming to leave Adelaide at around 4pm & start the hike at around 5.30/6pm.

DISTANCE: 18km

If you would like to join us,
details are here:
https://www.meetup.com/Adelaide-Walkers ... 236171144/

Has anyone else done this section?
If so, what was it like?
What other sections were your favourite & why?

I am not looking to do the entire trail, I would just like to do the interesting parts & skip the sections that are just dirt roads.

Cheers
roxyadelaide
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby roxyadelaide » Mon 29 May, 2017 8:05 pm

I spoke to a man on a Friends Of Heysen hike who had walked all of The Lavender Trail so far. He said that his favourite section was Springton to Keyneton which goes past the Marne River.

Has anyone else walked this section?

I am going to be walking this section on Saturday 3 June if anyone is keen to join us. Details here:

https://www.meetup.com/Adelaide-Walkers ... 240349627/

So far I have walked
S1 - Murray Bridge to Monarto (the section through Rocky Gully is really nice)
s3 - Bondleigh to Mt Beevor
s5 - Tungkillo to Springton (lots of lovely rocks)
s8 - Truro to Dutton (my favourite section, best to do after rain, amazing rocky gorges & waterfall on private property)
s9 - Dutton to Leake Lookout (beautiful green hills & lots of wombat holes)

Has anyone else walked the Lavender Trail - what were your favourite parts & why?
roxyadelaide
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Truck » Thu 01 Jun, 2017 8:29 am

i haven't had a chance to do this trail as iam currently doing the heysen south to north, but this trail will definetley be my next one and would be keen to hear your track notes of it
Truck
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Suz » Thu 01 Jun, 2017 9:02 am

I haven't even heard of this trail! Now that I'm in the area I will look up doing the completed sections. I would quite like to come along Saturday but have plans already.

Just a thought but I reckon SA tourism groups should look at making a walk that goes through all the main wine regions...nothing a hiker wants more in the eve than a nice glass but it's so heavy to carry...imagine being able to resupply along the way with a local grape :) And the landscape in southern SA is so bucolic...great walking territory and the weather seems quite forgiving.

Truck are you doing a blog? How is walking south to north? Is the sun in your eyes all the time?
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Truck » Thu 01 Jun, 2017 3:08 pm

Suz wrote:I haven't even heard of this trail! Now that I'm in the area I will look up doing the completed sections. I would quite like to come along Saturday but have plans already.

Just a thought but I reckon SA tourism groups should look at making a walk that goes through all the main wine regions...nothing a hiker wants more in the eve than a nice glass but it's so heavy to carry...imagine being able to resupply along the way with a local grape :) And the landscape in southern SA is so bucolic...great walking territory and the weather seems quite forgiving.

Truck are you doing a blog? How is walking south to north? Is the sun in your eyes all the time?

They do have a couple of trails like that where they start at the coast and finish at the wine area or go across the wine area's

iam not doing a blog as i spend the time on hikes being away from a computer compared to my working life being on a computer, and the sun so far hasn't been to bad especially as i get it twice since iam doing the trail by myself i have to walk to a certain spot and then turn around and head back to my car facing the sun again,
Truck
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Suz » Fri 02 Jun, 2017 10:59 am

Oh thanks Truck! I shall do further research for southern SA.

Wow the car thing must be a bit of a drag.
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Truck » Wed 07 Jun, 2017 9:30 am

yeah it is but i try an take a different trail / road / route back so i can see different sites
Truck
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory