Karijini

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Karijini

Postby englishmanbo » Sat 22 Apr, 2017 12:10 pm

Hi I am thinking about a 3-5 day walk camping in or around Karijini NP. I am aware there are short day walks into the big gorges and level 6 canyoning in Weano, Hancock and Knox Gorges (requiring permit, experience and/or guide). I have read on the site that there are faded signs showing a connecting circuit between the gorges. I am a walker not a rope climber. Visited 10 years ago not worried about the road conditions. Coming via Canning Stock Route and Karlamilyi/ Rudall River National Park then continuing on to NT.
englishmanbo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Re: Karijini

Postby lseries92 » Sat 22 Apr, 2017 1:29 pm

Take a look at a post from a while ago:

http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=7011

Not sure about a circular walk however are some details of a through walking route (with warnings) in the first post and a subsequent post covers a page where there are tours through the area twice a year. In the warnings it does mention at least one part requiring a rope although the route sounds a little more than 3-5 days so you may avoid it if you only do a particular section (maybe between the Dales and Weano/Hancock areas on the park).

http://davidhoulder.com/walks+1/karijin ... tricky-bit

I assume that going to places like Kermit's Pool and Handrail Pool are merely side trips rather than the route going through them. Last time I was down in Handrail Pool, on walking back up the gorge I met a group decked out in wetsuits carrying inflated inner-tubes and abseiling gear.
lseries92
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Karijini

Postby englishmanbo » Sat 22 Apr, 2017 2:39 pm

Thanks, the David Houlder walk looked amazing.
englishmanbo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory