Vulkathunha/Gammons and Arkaroola - good day walks?

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Vulkathunha/Gammons and Arkaroola - good day walks?

Postby danman » Sat 13 May, 2017 7:22 pm

Hoping to head up that way this winter for a week or so. Still haven't got my stuff together for multi day walks so keen to see what's doable in a day. Anything up to 20-25km (and below) is fine.

Throw me some ideas!
danman
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Re: Vulkathunha/Gammons and Arkaroola - good day walks?

Postby north-north-west » Sun 14 May, 2017 2:46 pm

Do you need tracks to walk on, or is a bit of off-track wandering OK?

Barraranna Gorge loop is great. Off track over Barraranna Hill is steep, loose and slippery ground but a really good addition to the walk. Bunyip Chasm &Weetootla & Monarch Mine from Balcanoona.
If the road into Chambers is open, it's worthwhile walking the gorge, and also following goat tracks up onto Mt Chambers.
Acacia Ridge at Arkaroola - starts just a little way out of the village and brings you back in past the reservoir. There's a good network of shorter tracks out of Arkaroola camping area, including the one that goes past Sitting Bull and The Pinnacles. Some gorgeous and fascinating rock formations there, plus the rock wobblies. There's a loop walk that goes over Mt whatisname . . . a double barrelled thing I can't bring to mind atm . . . think it's part of a longer loop that goes past an historic homestead to the south, and then back by the road.

If you're into mines, there are some really fascinating areas to explore off the 'road' up to Paralana Hot Springs, plus some of the hills near the springs are easy off-track walking and give you a great view of the area. Welcome Mine walk is the only one I can recall by name -think it curls around and joins the Barrarannsa loop not that far from Stubbs . . . or maybe that's another track . . . there is one that has a branch that does that, anyway.

The people at Arkaroola are fantastic. I rocked in after the kitchen was closed and they fixed up a plate of the most delicious leftovers for me, at a nominal cost. Love that place.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby peregrinator » Tue 16 May, 2017 7:19 pm

I love it too. Refreshing your memory, north-north-west, I believe by Mt Whatitsname and et cetera you are referring to Mt Warren Hastings and Nudlamutana Hut. If start and finish is Arkaroola, go left less than half a kilometre east and north after Nudlamutana Hut, then take a track north sign-posted Arkaroola Village to come out on the Arkaroola Road, and finally include Acacia Ridge walking track to avoid much of the on-road stuff on the way back to Arkaroola.

I've just got back once again from such places. Here are some other suggestions.

Bararranna Gorge can also be reached via Echo Camp Waterhole and Echo Camp Backtrack.

From Weetootla camp through Balcanoona Gorge and then north on Wortupa Crek to Weetootla Spring is fantastic. You can see some fish if conditions are right. And red-footed rock wallabies.

Mt Painter: it's a bit of a road slog if you don't take the longer duration option to go up and/or back via Radium Creek, but either way, the last climb from the Sillers Lookout track to Painter is a highlight.

Italowie Gap to McKinley Spring and back is nice.

I'll think of a few more perhaps. No end of fun and struggle up there.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Suz » Fri 02 Jun, 2017 10:57 am

Sorry to hijack the thread...but are any good walks in this area accessible with a 2wd? By which I mean a Mazda 2 2 with not very high clearance.
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby eggs » Fri 02 Jun, 2017 11:15 am

I imagine there would be some good places in Arkaroola, but I have not got there yet.
The road to the Gammons is fine and gives access to Italowie Creek and Weetootla Gorge.
Going deeper into Grindalls Hut and Loch Ness Well may require a 4WD. I know some hazard the run in 2WD, but I would not be game to do that given its remoteness.
There is a walkers hut and a water tank at Grindalls which is a half day walk through Weetootla Gorge that could be used as a base?

If you are up to multiday walks, the 2 trips I did were both using normal 2WD cars to access. Best to go in a group in this part of the world - absolutely no mobile coverage.
see http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4370 and http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2526&p=38635&hilit=gammons#p24431
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby Suz » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 7:55 pm

Thank you Eggs - that info was really helpful!
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby danman » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 8:08 pm

Thanks all for the suggestions. Unfortunately it looks like my trip is going to be cut a little short so I will only get a few days up there :cry:
Will let you know how I go. Will be interesting to see how my new sleeping bag holds up against these frosty nights we've been having lately. I've pitched the tent in the backyard (Clare Valley) tonight for a test run.
Hoping to get to Grindalls at least and explore a bit from there.
danman
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby danman » Thu 17 Aug, 2017 9:41 pm

Haven't been on the forums for a while, but I didn't end up making it as far as the Gammons. Had 3 nights up at the pound instead. Did Ohlsen-bagge, St Marys (Outside track) and one of the three sisters. Very peaceful and relaxing, especially the camp near the three sisters, no one around for miles.

Arkaroola might have to wait until next year now, when I have some time to dedicate to it.
danman
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby eggs » Thu 17 Aug, 2017 10:09 pm

Glad you had a good time. Haven't heard of the three sisters before.
They appear to be part of the ABC range along Aroona Valley, south of Koolaman Campsite.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby danman » Sat 19 Aug, 2017 1:16 am

eggs wrote:Glad you had a good time. Haven't heard of the three sisters before.
They appear to be part of the ABC range along Aroona Valley, south of Koolaman Campsite.

just small hills really, but they give a great 360 view. koolamon campsite is quite a nice secluded spot. ikara/wilpena has just gone to online bookings and not many people seem to be into it, so there weren't many people in any of the campsites. i drove through parachilna gorge and noticed a lot more campers set up out in this area outside of the park where it's free camping.

what a classic look patawarta hill has from blinman.
i must climb it next time!
danman
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory