Desktop version
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.

Forum rules

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.
Post a reply

Larapinta info? Plus anyone have a GPX of the whole trail?

Sat 27 May, 2017 10:08 am

Hello all,

My app MapOut (which is overall fantastic) does not have detail of the full Larapinta. Is anyone able to provide me a gpx of the trail?

Also, probably not...but would the campsites be hammock friendly?

And then...how cold does the ground get at that time of year? I realise the air will be cold overnight but will the ground get especially cold too or does it retain some heat from the day?

(PS I may be able help out a few people with food drops / lifts when I do it but I haven't planned a start date at all yet---when I do I will 'advertise' that on the forum)

Re: Larapinta info? Plus anyone have a GPX of the whole trai

Sat 27 May, 2017 10:23 am

Hi Suz,

Yes the ground does get cold!

Hammock friendly - not really. Much of the vegetation is smaller-girthed trees and shrubs.

Sat 27 May, 2017 12:26 pm

Hey Suz,

Not sure how accurate this is but I'm told the trail is very easy to follow. I'll be up there walking it in the last half of July, might see you up there!

https://www.traildino.com/trace/contine ... inta_Trail

Sat 27 May, 2017 2:46 pm

Thank you both :)

I have now downloaded the GPX file from traildino. And yes might see you out there stepbystep

Sat 27 May, 2017 7:21 pm

stepbystep wrote:Not sure how accurate this is but I'm told the trail is very easy to follow.

It is. A map is more than sufficient. And there are distance markers every kilometre - not everyone likes this, but I find it handy when budgeting water.

Sun 28 May, 2017 5:21 pm

It's super easy to follow. You have to really work at it to get lost.

Sun 28 May, 2017 6:46 pm

Well that's good to know NNW! I'm getting slightly better at staying on the trail with experience : /

Thanks Ere(of the long name)

I plan on getting the Chapman book too to help me plan days and side trips...I hope that is a good idea ...or it excessive given the detail given on trail?

Sun 28 May, 2017 7:30 pm

I assume NT parks Service still does their track info guides - they're good enough to get you end to end, although the Chapman book also has a lot of other detail. The parks info pack has section maps with notes and all sorts of useful stuff in it. I found those maps were the most help in planning.

Mon 29 May, 2017 7:47 am

Eremophila.... you'll see plenty of those along the trail.

Some different maps and guidebook are shown on the Larapinta Trail website, in addition to the NT Parks set:
http://www.larapintatrail.com.au/larapi ... -maps.html

Otherwise the NT Parks maps appear to be the same price wherever you buy them:

https://nt.gov.au/leisure/recreation/bu ... ation-pack
http://lonedingo.com.au/onlinestore/map ... pack-copy/
http://www.friendsofthelarapintatrail.o ... handise-2/

Mon 29 May, 2017 9:04 am

Thanks again guys.

It appears the online shop is down! But I might be able to pick up the trail pack in Adelaide I guess...if not there then Alice.

Mon 29 May, 2017 9:09 am

I've just spent the last 3 days putting together our groups itinerary/contingencies etc ... cannot wait! I did this using Chapmans book. So effectively I've created a 2 page A4 document we can all have a copy of and will take the book as a group item to share about on the trail. We are looking at 16 days so we can have a cpl or three lazy half days. Super excited!

Mon 29 May, 2017 9:52 am

Wow that's organisation SBS!

Mon 29 May, 2017 10:28 am

That's overkill.

Of course, I was familiar with a fair bit of the West Macs before doing the Larapinta end to end, but that much planning would take half the fun out of it for me.

What sort of side trips do you have planned, sbs?

Mon 29 May, 2017 1:25 pm

What day are you starting stepbystep and which direction
I start on the 15 Jul going West to East
norts

Mon 29 May, 2017 2:03 pm

north-north-west wrote:That's overkill.

Of course, I was familiar with a fair bit of the West Macs before doing the Larapinta end to end, but that much planning would take half the fun out of it for me.

What sort of side trips do you have planned, sbs?

My walking companions aren't very experienced so it's very helpful for them, and appreciated! It's got me really excited as I've learned heaps about the land I will encounter, country completely foreign to me. I'm pretty sure you know my normal level of trip planning :mrgreen:

I'll do all the sidetrips if I can minus Glen Helen.

norts wrote:What day are you starting stepbystep and which direction
I start on the 15 Jul going West to East
norts

19th norts, also west to east so not likely to bump into you unless it's in a pub at the end of it all!
Post a reply