transport challenges on larapinta for a 4 days hike

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

transport challenges on larapinta for a 4 days hike

Postby marcolindien » Wed 31 May, 2017 9:00 pm

Greetings fellow walkers,

We are planning to do the 4-6 sections of Larapinta in 5 days (4 nights) with my partner at the end of the month.
We are struggling to find a decent and affordable solution to get there and organise my transportation...

Our options
1. hire 2 cars, organise ourself the dropoff/pickup . ~$530 for 2ppl
2. hire 1 car and get a official pickup ~$640 for 2ppl
3. dont hire car and get official dropoff/pickup ~$500

I tend to prefer the option#1 as it gives us more flexibility as we will come from Sydney and will need to go from airport to shops (buy gas and some food) and then to come back to airport and get our plane at 12pm.

What do you guys think?
Is there any other solutions we can do?
The problem is we are landing on Alice Spring friday at 1pm -- so plan to sleep at Standley Chasm Friday evening and fly back wed (the 5th day) at 1pm. So we dont really have time and flexibility for trying to hitchhike..

Thoughts?
marcolindien
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: transport challenges on larapinta for a 4 days hike

Postby Eremophila » Wed 31 May, 2017 9:48 pm

Hi Marco,
This may be way off the mark - but as you still have some time before your trip, worth a try.
Google "Alice Springs Private Hire". This will give you a number of private "taxi" companies including Alice Private Hire and a number of individual operators.
They are all similar to taxis, but must be pre-booked by phone or otherwise. It's a peculiarity of the Northern Territory.

They may be way more expensive, I have no idea what the cost would be. And it may be that they don't want to compete with the other transport operators. But worth a look. And there would be no fuel or extra costs.
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: transport challenges on larapinta for a 4 days hike

Postby marcolindien » Thu 01 Jun, 2017 9:04 am

thanks will try... that could be an easier option indeed. But I am also looking for a cheaper one ;-)
marcolindien
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory