Cape to Cape opinions wanted!

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Cape to Cape opinions wanted!

Postby edieduffy1 » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 12:37 pm

Hi! I am a design student and my task is to design a logo and marker for the Cape to Cape track, of which follows the southwest coast of WA. Anyone who has experienced this track, or parts of it, is appreciated in answering some of these questions!

1. How did you find out about the track?
2. Do you live in WA or did you travel to walk the track?
3. Did you walk the track alone or in a group (and if so, was it a group of strangers or friends/family)
4. How much prior experience did you have of bushwalking/hiking before walking the track?
5. How much experience do you think is necessary to accomplish the whole journey?
6. Would you walk the track again? Or have you walked it multiple times?
7. What do you consider the main features of the track (view, flora/fauna, sense of accomplishment etc)?
8. What do you consider the greatest issue of the track?
9. Would you recommend the track to others?

Any answers are appreciated!!!

Thank you :-)
edieduffy1
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Re: Cape to Cape opinions wanted!

Postby Eljimberino » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 3:43 pm

Hi. Please see my answers below. I have a suggestion if you are in contact with the Cape to Cape organisers. Please please please connect the cape to cape to the Bibbulmun track from the southern end to around Donnelly River village. Cheers.

1. Friends.
2. YES.
3. With partner.
4. Enough.
5. Pick your weather, take your time.
6. Maybe.
7. Ample campsite choices.
8. Too many dunes.
9. Only after recommending the Bibb track.
Eljimberino
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Walkingtwobytwo » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 4:33 pm

I'm more than happy to help and please check out my write up on my site www.walkingtwobytwo.com as well as contact me if you need more help. I have walked this one a few time and be back down in march to walk 2 more times.
1. How did you find out about the track? Being a WA bushwalker you just know about it not sure when I first heard of it.
2. Do you live in WA or did you travel to walk the track? WA
3. Did you walk the track alone or in a group (and if so, was it a group of strangers or friends/family) both solo and with partner and also with friends
4. How much prior experience did you have of bushwalking/hiking before walking the track? plenty, have walked many trails in WA, rest of Australia and many different countries.
5. How much experience do you think is necessary to accomplish the whole journey? Basic knowledge it is not a complicated walk but fitness is very important.
6. Would you walk the track again? Or have you walked it multiple times? Multiple times and March I'm finishing off the second half with friends who have been doing it sectional and then 2 weeks later going back to do another EtoE
7. What do you consider the main features of the track (view, flora/fauna, sense of accomplishment etc)?The views of the stunning rugged coast, pristine beaches and when you walk it in Spring the wildflowers are like non other. magic.
8. What do you consider the greatest issue of the track? Sometimes the signs on the beach exits are lost/stolen.
9. Would you recommend the track to others? 100%
Walkingtwobytwo
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby edieduffy1 » Thu 08 Feb, 2018 11:27 am

thank you all those who have replied so far!!! very helpful :-)
edieduffy1
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Redtail » Fri 09 Feb, 2018 5:25 pm

edieduffy1 wrote:Hi! I am a design student and my task is to design a logo and marker for the Cape to Cape track, of which follows the southwest coast of WA. ...

Is this going to become official? The current marker is quite daggy! :D A change would be welcome.
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick
Redtail
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby edieduffy1 » Fri 09 Feb, 2018 11:05 pm

Redtail wrote:
edieduffy1 wrote:Hi! I am a design student and my task is to design a logo and marker for the Cape to Cape track, of which follows the southwest coast of WA. ...

Is this going to become official? The current marker is quite daggy! :D A change would be welcome.

yes its real! my teacher is currently working on a redesign right now, but apparently if any of my classmate's designs are good enough, theirs could be the new design too!
edieduffy1
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Walkingtwobytwo » Fri 09 Mar, 2018 6:09 pm

If the design of the logo or trail markers are being changed then they need to be more noticeable than what they are. I was down on the trail over the weekend and the markers are just shocking atm. lots missing, post are deteriorated and they just blend in too much. keen to see this improve. Back on the trail next week.
Walkingtwobytwo
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby edieduffy1 » Tue 27 Mar, 2018 12:25 pm

Walkingtwobytwo wrote:If the design of the logo or trail markers are being changed then they need to be more noticeable than what they are. I was down on the trail over the weekend and the markers are just shocking atm. lots missing, post are deteriorated and they just blend in too much. keen to see this improve. Back on the trail next week.

noted! i think they'll be replaced in a high-vis material much like the yellow triangles of the bibbulmun and munda biddi tracks, or at least that's what the official brief said
edieduffy1
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory