Desktop version
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.

Forum rules

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.
Post a reply

Kalbarri gorges walking.

Mon 11 Jun, 2018 9:24 pm

Hi all. I am looking for info on walking the Kalbarri Gorges. Perhaps this August? Any info or links would be much appreciated. Thank you. Davi.

Re: Kalbarri gorges walking.

Wed 11 Jul, 2018 9:18 pm

It's over 20 years since I've done it , it was part of a group, we all carried our own water in, though these days I would probably just treat the river water. There was no marked trail back then however it's following a single gorge through to the window so really no navigation is needed, the surface is mainly rocks which is a good thing because the 1000's of feral goats were making a mess of a really beautiful National Park. I would imagine weather wise, August or July would be prime time to do it.

Thu 12 Jul, 2018 4:41 pm

Hi DJ,

Here's a link to a friend of mine's blog. He has written up various walks in and around the gorge https://thelongwaysbetter.blogspot.com

Good luck on your walk, like Freodude it's been a long time since I was over there (more than 30 years :shock: ) but it's one of those spots that I've always planned to get back to one day.

Cheers
Kevin

Fri 13 Jul, 2018 10:52 am

Thanks Kev for sharing the Long Way's Better!

Hi Davi, I'm the writer of the Long Way's Better and have written up all the marked trails in the park (excluding the 200 metre 'trails' to lookouts - they are not a proper walk). I've also written up a circuit walk you can do by linking up to shorter trails via the Murchison Gorge - this is an incredible day walk but there's a lot of scrambling and swimming so I wouldn't recommend it to everyone.

There is a complete guide to Kalbarri now up on the page with all the information collated. Hope it helps!
Post a reply