Bibbulmun Track Sections. - Elevation Profile

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Bibbulmun Track Sections. - Elevation Profile

Postby Mutley » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 7:08 pm

Hey all

Considering doing the ‘Bib’ in a year or two and am now engrossed in the best part - planning !!

I can’t seem to find anywhere the elevation profile for each section. I know the climbing isn’t up to Tasmanian standards, but I have seen total ascent from end to end, from 15,000m to 45,000m (Can’t be right)

Thanks .
Mutley
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Bibbulmun Track Sections. - Elevation Profile

Postby lseries92 » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 7:58 pm

I am also planning for the Bib as well - I hope to start first week of September next year.

The track maps have the elevation profile on them although I found a blog that someone has posted that has the information from their GPS. They actually recorded how far they walked each day including how long it took them plus the ascent/descents they encountered - the units look correct on the graphs but the daily ascent/descent measurement they recorded each day do not look right to me, it may be that they are actually in feet rather than in metres?

http://mitupela.net/gnw/bibbulmun.html

Happy planning.
lseries92
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Mutley » Tue 31 Jul, 2018 8:26 pm

lseries92 wrote:I am also planning for the Bib as well - I hope to start first week of September next year.

The track maps have the elevation profile on them although I found a blog that someone has posted that has the information from their GPS. They actually recorded how far they walked each day including how long it took them plus the ascent/descents they encountered - the units look correct on the graphs but the daily ascent/descent measurement they recorded each day do not look right to me, it may be that they are actually in feet rather than in metres?

http://mitupela.net/gnw/bibbulmun.html

Happy planning.

Thanks. I have used this data but I think the 49 KM’s of ascent should be under 15 kms.
Mutley
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Al M » Thu 02 Aug, 2018 3:45 pm

Can be a good time to start, wilderflowers come out, still cold at night perhaps 2-5 C, tail end of winter rains, heading towards south in warmer conditions around Pemberton there can be lots of tiger snakes when they start coming out so perhaps bring gaiters.

Rodents in some shelters can be quite a nuisance so string food and bags up or perhaps bring a tent instead.
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory