Party time and an urgent job

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Party time and an urgent job

Postby mikethepike » Sun 06 Dec, 2009 5:59 pm

Hi SA members
Two things!
Party time!
I thought that we maybe we 'locals' should get together somewhere so why not at The Scenic Hotel at Norton Summit, perhaps at the mid-point of a walk in Morialta CP. a kind of one stop pub crawl. What about the first Sunday in January - the 3rd. We could set out from Morialta or from Monatcute in the late morning. What do you think? Any other ideas?

Urgent job
Arkaroola Sanctuary is under threat of uranium mining and its supporters have until Friday 19 December to try and stop it, for that is the deadline for submissions to a Government enquiry on land zoning for mineral exploration and mining in the Northern Flinders Ranges. I've put the details in a separate post under 'General Discussion' as I believe that like Gunn's proposed pulp mill in Tasmania, the issue is huge and of national and not only state importance. I know that Marg Spriggs is very appreciative of anything any of us can do to help and your submission expressing objection to any mining on Arkaroola is of utmost importance.
Thanks for your interest and anticipated support.
Mike
mikethepike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Party time and an urgent job

Postby mikethepike » Wed 20 Jan, 2010 1:56 pm

No SA readers came to the party or even responded which was a bit disappointing :( (another time?) but the Arkaroola issue is far more important and re. this, the time period for responding to the SA Governement's 'Seeking a Balance' position paper has been extended to the end of January. But more important if Arkaroola Sanctuary is to be saved from the proposed uranium mine at Mt Gee is a campaign to turn the matter into an election issue with the elections in March. So far however, both main parties support the mine so one or the other has to change their stance on this and approaches to sitting MPs and aspiring candidates from the major/ minor parties and independents are needed. The Wilderness Society's (SA) Peter Owen is working hard on this issue and can be contacted at 08 82318586. Also go into their web site and sign the petition opposing the mine. Thanks very much for your time and interest. :)
Mike
mikethepike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory