Alice Springs, Walking in Summer?

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Alice Springs, Walking in Summer?

Postby Speculator » Thu 31 Dec, 2009 12:26 pm

Hi all,

I'm going to be in Alice and surrounds for a few days later this month, and I was after some advice. The plan is to do some short walks, very early or late in the day to avoid the heat. I was wondering if people could a) make any suggestions of walks we could do that fall into our time-limit. b) make suggestions for coping with the heat!

L8r.
---
Peak bagging points: 10. Peak bagging bagging points: 10000.
Speculator
Optimus Imago
Optimus Imago

Region: Tasmania

Re: Alice Springs, Walking in Summer?

Postby PeterJ » Thu 31 Dec, 2009 7:50 pm

Speculator wrote:....... b) make suggestions for coping with the heat!

To start with; don't bother taking that balaclava you're wearing.
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby geoskid » Fri 01 Jan, 2010 10:03 am

Hi L8r,
We lived in Alice Springs for 5 years before moving to Tasmania 15 years ago, and were more into 4wd car camping then rather than bushwalking as such, with a lot of exploring of the gaps, gorges and chasms etc.
I'd suggest Glen Helen Gorge, Ormiston Gorge and Stanley Chasm along the Western MacDonnell ranges as 'must see', with permanent waterholes perfect for swimming (which was a popular constant while we were up there :) )
Kings Canyon is a spectacular place with a fantastic circuit walk that takes you to the top of the canyon, if you get time to go out there.
I'ts a dry heat there, which I prefer to humid heat. Apart from protecting yourself from the sun by the usual means, and walking early and late, there is not much you can do to avoid it if you want to enjoy the outdoors. Try draping a wet handtowel around your neck.
I dont know much about the Larapinta Trail (there's a thread here somewhere), but you could pick it up at one of the Gorges and go for a wander along it for a while and then return.
Thanks for bringing back the memories.
Geoskid
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby eggs » Fri 01 Jan, 2010 10:16 am

Nice one Peter, but I was wondering how many days were left in December to do all this? :lol:

Seriously - there are a lot of tourist walks around Alice. Early or late day sounds good - very early would be cooler.
Stanley Chasm should be up there - and keep going past the chasm to explore further up. I noticed someone put up a picture of a second chasm which is part of the Larapinta Trail. This is easily reached by exploring a bit higher up the creek bed.

Ormiston Gorge is also not a long walk (you can vary how much you do) but the setting is fantastic. http://www.nt.gov.au/nreta/parks/walks/pdf/overnight_walks_ormiston.pdf
Its a longer drive to the west - and you should drop in on some of the waterholes out there as well.
Haven't done Redbank Gorge as quick access is 4WD - not sure how far a walk would be along the road - but I understand the water is always freezing there.

Go to the Larapinta Trail site for maps - which will show road access to create shorter walks. http://www.nt.gov.au/nreta/parks/walks/larapinta/walking.html

On the eastern side but a reasonable drive is a really good short walk at Trephina Gorge. http://www.nt.gov.au/nreta/parks/walks/pdf/trephina_gorge_walks.pdf
Trephina.JPG
Trephina Gorge panorama
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby PeterJ » Fri 01 Jan, 2010 10:41 am

We were there in July and August (now last year) and it was quite warm out in the sun then (we are Tasmanian though). We spent a week in the West MacDonnell, including several parts of the Larapinta and a few days to East MacDonnell (Trephina Gorge).

I think I would find the heat a bit hard for the open but of the walks we did the Standley Chasm (Angkerle) would be the shadiest walk. You can walk through the narrow gorge although there is a bit of rock scramble towards the end then can come back on the Larapinta which climbs above the gorges on the western side, so would be best in the afternoon to get some shade. You can continue after the gorge but would be out in the open much of the time.

The Ormiston walk through the pound is out in the open for most of the way, but the actual gorge section would have some shelter from the sun.

Some people visit Redbank Gorge, but you need a lilo to go through. Redbank is at the end of the Larapinta at the start of the Mt Sonder walk. Actually quite a few walkers climb Sonder in the summer according to the log book, some leaving very early to get the sunrise up there.

I think the Alice Springs Desert Park would be open in summer and is well worth a visit. The flowers probably past peak.

Be interested to hear how you fare.
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby PeterJ » Fri 01 Jan, 2010 11:37 am

eggs wrote:Nice one Peter, but I was wondering how many days were left in December to do all this?

Haven't done Redbank Gorge as quick access is 4WD - not sure how far a walk would be along the road - but I understand the water is always freezing there.

Yes I noticed the "later this month"; perhaps Speculator already had his mind already advanced to the month of January when posting.

The access to Redbank is OK with a conventional vehicle, although it is a dirt road. It is only a quite short walk to the gorge entrance.

IMG_2489 Redbank Gorge.JPG
Entrance to Redbank Gorge
IMG_2489 Redbank Gorge.JPG (144.27 KiB) Viewed 15605 times

IMG_2601 Standley Chasm.JPG
From track above Standley in the afternoon
IMG_2601 Standley Chasm.JPG (195.59 KiB) Viewed 15605 times
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jcr_au » Fri 01 Jan, 2010 7:25 pm

We were there in December 2007, for 4 days, and the temp each day was 43deg. Because it was a dry heat we didn't find it that bad but we were careful and kept the fluids up.

At the Olgas the RFDS were treating some German tourists for dehydration 3m from their tour bus - saline drip & all.

We had a good look around simpsons gap and climbed well up the range behind standley chasm
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc10 ... 030902.jpg

The desert centre on the edge of Alice Springs is worth a number of hours.

But our favorite was wandering around Palm Valley

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc10 ... 030897.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc10 ... 030902.jpg

John R
John R
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work.
I want to achieve immortality through not dying."
jcr_au
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Teegs » Tue 05 Jan, 2010 7:55 am

Hi Speculator

I did Kings Canyon, Uluru and the Olgas in early January 1999 (with a SA Tour operator). On average it was 40+ degrees. Cover up (sun smart), take more fluids than normal, and take your time...dont push it. The Kings Canyon walk is fantastic, start early though....if your lucky you may get a swim in the garden of eden! We did the walk around Uluru (not to the top). Take your time, rest in the odd shady spot regulary, and again plenty of fluids. I easily downed 3ltrs during each of these walks, and need to fill up from the tanks/creeks etc (which is not the best idea).

Stay Cool!

Teegs
Teegs
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Speculator » Wed 06 Jan, 2010 12:50 pm

Thanks to everyone for their advice, it's all great stuff. I went out and got myself a new hydration bladder for this trip so i can get fluids regularly. I was considering getting hold of a hydration supplement as well, something like Aqualyte. Depends if I can find anywhere that sells it in Tassie (not that much of a call for it here I'd imagine).

It looks like we'll be doing some camping up there as well, so that'll be interesting (trying to sleep in that heat sounds like an effort).

L8r.

P.S. Yeah, I meant January, not December. I was getting ahead of myself.
---
Speculator
Optimus Imago
Optimus Imago

Postby PeterJ » Thu 07 Jan, 2010 8:34 pm

Speculator wrote:''''It looks like we'll be doing some camping up there as well, so that'll be interesting (trying to sleep in that heat sounds like an effort)......

If you are as far as Mt Sonder end of the West MacDonnell NP I suggest you camp at Redbank campground. Tent spots well spaced and some shade; Tables and gas cookers provided
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Speculator » Thu 07 Jan, 2010 9:20 pm

Anyone know how to get to Lake Amadeus? Is is worth it? What's the road like etc? I just found out about it and it looks kewl! :)

L8r.
---
Speculator
Optimus Imago
Optimus Imago

Postby myrtlegirl » Thu 14 Jan, 2010 12:46 pm

The best way to deal with the daytime heat is to avoid it by walking very early in the morning, preferably by moonlight. If you time it properly, you can get to some great lookouts on dawn, and watching the sun rise on some of these lookouts is amongst the best of my bushwalking experiences. There aren't many trees to shade the track, and the many track markers glow in the beam of a head torch, so moonlight, even the half moon, is enough to follow the track. On the Larapinta, I would recommend going to Mt Sonder, Reveal Saddle, Ormiston Gorge lookout on the Ormiston Pound circuit, Counts Point, and Rocky Bar lookout. Plus many animals are out at this time, but they sensibly stay out of the daytime heat.

I usually walk in Tas, and walked part of the Larapinta in Sept 09 when the temp was rarely below 34C, so walking by moonlight really saved our group. We often woke up at 2.30 and were on the track by 4am to get to most of these spots by 6.30am. I've never walked these hours before, and I doubt I ever will in Tas, as it's too cold, and too dark in the forest.
myrtlegirl
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby iandsmith » Fri 14 Jan, 2011 10:07 am

Hope it all went well, I certainly wouldn't be brave enough to walk out there in summer.
Here's a few shots of places I went to while I was there.
Attachments
Inarlanga Pass panorama (1).jpg
Inarlanga Pass on the Larapinta Trail
Trephina Gorge project (1).jpg
Trephina Gorge
Standley chasm panorama (1).jpg
Standley Chasm panorama
Emily Gap panorama (6).jpg
Emily Gap
Jessie Gap panorama (5).jpg
Jessie Gap panorama
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Mon 17 Jan, 2011 6:27 pm

eggs wrote:Haven't done Redbank Gorge as quick access is 4WD - not sure how far a walk would be along the road - but I understand the water is always freezing there.

I've been in there three times and it's always been easily accessible by 2wd, even after heavy rain, all the way to the start of the walking track to Rwetyepme. So, unless the road has been bombed in the last few years . . .

And yes, the water is freezing cold. But the gorge itself is stunning - all the more so if there's a reasonable flow of water through there. Take an air mattress and wetsuit and paddle up and back down.
The walk up to the Sonder Lookout is good, stunning views of the MacDonnells and surrounding country. It's also easy to scramble up some of the lower side gorges and gullies, if they've been burnt recently.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory