Bibbulmun Track

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Bibbulmun Track

Postby Liamy77 » Thu 06 May, 2010 9:06 pm

Hey folks!
I have recently got hold of a GPS....
since i can find bugger all data on the internet for this track, I have started putting the track details onto a website another member of these forums put me onto so we can all get the info....
I have put map 4a onto the site so far and will put more up as I walk it.... if anyone wants to add to this please do so - it will only make it better for everyone.
I use a freeware program called GPSbabel to convert the files for my GPS unit to use and still encorage folks to buy the official maps and carry a compass- it is safer and supports the track and its' maintenance etc....
just search "Bibbulmun" to find the tracks....
http://www.sharemyroutes.com/
let me know how you go and enjoy your walking folks!
Cheers, Liam
Taggunnah
GRAVITY... IS A HARSH MISTRESS!
knowledge's lighter than gadgets..but gadgets can be fun!
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Location: Southern Channel, Tas.... but sometimes i leave n walk around elsewhere!
ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Woodbridge Organics
Region: Tasmania

Re: Bibbulmun Track

Postby Liamy77 » Thu 06 May, 2010 9:11 pm

More track info...
Main website:
http://www.bibbulmuntrack.org.au/
Track info and links to history etc:
http://www.bibbulmuntrack.org.au/track-info.aspx
Taggunnah
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Location: Southern Channel, Tas.... but sometimes i leave n walk around elsewhere!

Postby stepbystep » Sat 08 May, 2010 10:36 am

Nice to see someone from WA posting. I grew up at the REAL start of the Bibbulmun Track in Lesmurdie NOT Kalamunda, there is a great series of tracks between these 2 towns that also spread across to the Bickley Reservoir - well worth exploring this area particularly during winter when the bush gets some moisture and the streams come up. There are some fantastic rock outcrops and small caves - Enjoy!
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Liamy77 » Sat 08 May, 2010 6:30 pm

best time of year for any walking over this way i think... to hot in the 40s carrying all your water!
quite liked exploring around john forrest area too. have to check out your bit.. i started just south of kalamunda.... might have to go back for an explore if we get time before christmas but we have th cape to cape walk planned too.... so many walks... just one life ?!
Taggunnah
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby dpatto7 » Sun 23 May, 2010 6:10 pm

Hello,
Try this website for gps waypoints and tracks for the bibbulmun. (and the Perth area)
http://www.walkgps.com/index.htm
dpatto7
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Postby iandsmith » Sun 06 Jun, 2010 12:26 am

If you go to Walpole and do the W.O.W. tour (recommended) you will meet the guy who holds the record for the Bibbulmun Track. Stuffed his knees up but, hey, he's got the record.
Cheers all
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tony » Sun 06 Jun, 2010 8:01 am

For information on the bib track try this Yahoo hiking WA group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hiking-wa/ a great bunch of people.

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby doro » Sun 03 Oct, 2010 10:14 pm

dpatto7 wrote:Hello,
Try this website for gps waypoints and tracks for the bibbulmun. (and the Perth area)
http://www.walkgps.com/index.htm

Great website... I have hiked with the guy who set it up. There are a lot of really good hikes there.
doro
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Postby jimmeyer176 » Wed 03 Nov, 2010 3:28 pm

iandsmith wrote:If you go to Walpole and do the W.O.W. tour (recommended) you will meet the guy who holds the record for the Bibbulmun Track. Stuffed his knees up but, hey, he's got the record.
Cheers all

What is the record? And was this a supported hike or unsupported?
jimmeyer176
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby rogo » Sat 04 Dec, 2010 10:32 am

yea what sort of record does this guy hold?
Last walk I did we met a strange guy who said he was the first to do 3 e2e's continuously. He said he started in March or april and we saw him in Oct with only 1/3 to go. He bet me $1000 that he was correct. not being a gambler I politely refused is wager. Glad we were walking with some guys that day, he was very odd. Too much time without home comforts I think. But oddly enough he was clean shaven and smelt better than we did! But he was only 1 day out of a town. Jimmy, I just wrote to you another page about summer walking but forgot to say, contact the Bib Foundation. They are lovely people who will help you plan and answer all your questions.
You ask about being supported also. Mostly I think walking the Bib is unsupported. But we do food drops to towns on the way.
rogo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jimmeyer176 » Sat 04 Dec, 2010 11:25 pm

I was just asking about whether or not this person was supported because it changes alot out there. A supported hike is often when a person, or team, will meet you at road crossings with food and water, then take you into town each night or just crash in the van near the trailhead. The person hiking only has to carry a small amount of water on their backs.

I am interested in knowing the fastest time an unassisted person completed the track, I know one woman did it in 20 days last year unsupported, I will contact the Foundation and see what they know about it.

Cheers.
jimmeyer176
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Keziah » Sun 06 Feb, 2011 8:56 pm

rogo wrote:yea what sort of record does this guy hold?
Last walk I did we met a strange guy who said he was the first to do 3 e2e's continuously. He said he started in March or april and we saw him in Oct with only 1/3 to go. He bet me $1000 that he was correct. not being a gambler I politely refused is wager. Glad we were walking with some guys that day, he was very odd. Too much time without home comforts I think. But oddly enough he was clean shaven and smelt better than we did! But he was only 1 day out of a town. Jimmy, I just wrote to you another page about summer walking but forgot to say, contact the Bib Foundation. They are lovely people who will help you plan and answer all your questions.
You ask about being supported also. Mostly I think walking the Bib is unsupported. But we do food drops to towns on the way.

Haha, Dave's alright. A little eccentric but a good bloke. He actually turned around and did a 4th. He's also done a few e2e's before that. I don't really get it (he hasn't done any other walks, just keeps on doing the Bib) but each to their own!
Keziah
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory