Some Brits travelling up the West Coast

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Some Brits travelling up the West Coast

Postby nickjb » Sun 07 Nov, 2010 7:00 am

My partner and I are heading to Australia this summer. After spending a month on the East (see other thread if you have and advice) we are flying to Perth in January then driving up to Exmouth. We've got 3 weeks. The current plan is to drive up the coastal highway then come back inland if this doesn't turn it into an epic drive (will it??). Is there much to see on the way? Any must do walks? We'll be camping where possible but wont really have lightweight kit so over-nighters might be out. Any advice gratefully received. Thanks
nickjb
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Re: Some Brits travelling up the West Coast

Postby rogo » Sun 28 Nov, 2010 6:34 pm

There are some great walks in the gorges around Exmouth. Day trips as well. VERY hot that time of year and the weather people are predicting a bad cyclone season this year.
Epic drive, yes and not too much to see on the road apart from plenty of open space. I haven't been up that way for a fair few years now but Kalbari is lovely but off the highway. Good surfing spots near Carnarvon as well. As well as Shark Bay Coral Bay etc. I am sure you know about those more popular spots. I have not been inland up that way so I can't give anything on that one:) But I would say don't bother.

I never felt worried about camping on the side of the road but as I said that was a while ago. Maybe someone else has more current knowledge.

Have fun in your travels.
rogo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stepbystep » Sun 28 Nov, 2010 8:34 pm

Hi there,

I would suggest when you leave Perth, take the Wannaroo/Lancelin Rd and spend your first night out of Perth at Guilderton, from here you can cut inland and head up to Cervantes(The Pinnacles) and make your way to Geraldton.
A great diversion after that is to Karratha and make sure to check out Murchison Gorge and the Useless Loop.

From here your best bet is to head to Karajini for a couple of days, this is AMAZING country and if you have one experience that is truly and uniquely Australian you will find it there.

Camping at Gnarloo is also VERY special, but you need a couple of days to get into the vibe of it all.

Enjoy :D

Sorry, I should add if you go into these areas(North and East of Geraldton) you need to carry a huge amount of water(10L+) and extra food - it is really inhospitable country and ill-equipped people have been known to have very bad experiences if they are unprepared.
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby jez_au » Fri 10 Dec, 2010 4:34 pm

Hi nickjb, camping roadside is common north of Perth. Camping near towns is not possible, like anywhere near Geraldton or Kalbarri not possible - it's not just that it isn't legal, it's that there aren't many spots, signage is prominent. I was up there mid this year, camping as much as possible roadside free.

Rogo and stepbystep have good suggestions.

Karajini is beautiful, stunning gorges for day hikes with great swimming. Allow 2-3 days to see all the gorges. Hancock Gorge is probably the star attaction. Hammersley Gorge is good too. Knox Gorge and Joffre Falls. Circular Pool. But everything up here will be DISGUSTINGLY HOT (40 degrees plus?) at that time of year, you may very well not feel like doing any hiking. The gorges are deep, they will be cooler (but still hot I would think), the water refreshing.

Kalbarri also has a good walks - 'The Loop' - if you do walk it start very early, the gorge is wide and little shade on the walk (like start walking at 6-7am.)

Like stepbystep suggestions, take lots and lots of water, allow for unexpected vehicle breakdown.

Useless Loop provides access to Steep Point, great fishing, also the westernmost point of the Australian mainland. Access along Useless Point Road beyond the Steep Point turn off is not permitted, it is a private mining road. 4WD will be required for access into Steep Point, it is sand dunes. No specific hiking trails. stepbystep - is this what you meant?

Francois Peron National Park is fantastic too, white sand beaches, oxide-red sand cliffs. Again though, strictly high-clearance 4WD territory. No specific hiking trails.

Nearby Monkey Mia is accessible by 2WD bitumen road, wild dolphins come in for a feed daily. There are wild animal kinda parks around Denham, the tourists love them (the Australians say 'so what, seen em in the wild' or 'caught those fish before')

Broome is a nice town, Cable Beach. Although Cable Beach in the Wet Season is a no-go due to box jellyfish (or something like that).
Last edited by jez_au on Sun 12 Dec, 2010 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blogs - www.jeremyc.com
peak bagging - peakclimbs.com
jez_au
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby stepbystep » Sat 11 Dec, 2010 7:49 am

stepbystep wrote:Useless Loop provides access to Steep Point, great fishing, also the westernmost point of the Australian mainland. Access along Useless Point Road beyond the Steep Point turn off is not permitted, it is a private mining road. 4WD will be required for access into Steep Point, it is sand dunes. No specific hiking trails. stepbystep - is this what you meant?

Apologies time has dimmed the memory - I walked 'The Loop' in Hamersley Gorge and was part of a university group(18 years ago :shock: ) that used lilo's to float down and camp within the gorge - for some reason 'useless loop' has stayed in the brain! This trip was fantastic, but Karijini is much better for multi-day options. Kalbarri also has fantastic surf beaches if that's your thing.
Some info here http://www.naturebase.net/component/opt ... temid,755/
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory