Vennachar Wreck - West Coast of Kangaroo Island

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Postby Maelgwn » Fri 26 Nov, 2010 9:55 am

I was wondering if anyone knows the location of the plaque placed to commemorate the Loch Vennachar wreck on the west coast of Kangaroo Island. We have been told it is on one of the points north from Point Vennachar, close to the location of the actual wreck but we were searching this week and couldn't find it. Can anyone describe the location accurately or have GPS co-ordinates for it?

Thanks

ps: response via PM is probably best due to Forum rules
Maelgwn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Re: Vennachar Wreck - West Coast of Kangaroo Island

Postby eggs » Fri 26 Nov, 2010 10:21 am

This link might give a clue - web searches mention West Cape a lot.
http://picasaweb.google.com/jez.blog/KangarooIsland#
You will notice the plaque refers to a Bower Anchor - which appears to be mounted next to the plaque. Wiki says this mounting was done in 1980 - so I imagine it will be near public access.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Maelgwn » Fri 26 Nov, 2010 10:40 am

Thanks eggs. No it is a different plaque than that. That one is at the end of the road/carpark where the anchor from the wreck is now a monument.
Maelgwn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby photohiker » Fri 26 Nov, 2010 5:04 pm

You could try contacting Jez, he might have seen it but not photographed it.

His email address is on his Blog (you'll see it on the Left hand side panel of his blog)

I'm pretty sure this is the same Jez... :)
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby nickL » Fri 26 Nov, 2010 9:27 pm

yep same jez
nickL
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby jez_au » Wed 08 Dec, 2010 8:55 am

Hi Maelgwn, Jez here, sorry I haven't seen it, but I can give you a contact who would be most likely to know.

Why do you think there is an additional plaque on the headland? The wreck of Loch Sloy has a grave with a plaque, the grave has been re-marked and plaque placed by the Kangaroo Island Bushwalkers. I would suggest you contact them, they would certainly know if there is another plaque on Vennachar Point.

In regards to publishing the location online I don't see a problem. As you probably know the Flinders Chase Coastal Trek (http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/parks/pdfs/FLCH_PDFS_TREKKING.PDF) goes from Ravine de Casoars to Cape du Couedic, passing over Vennachar Point. There is no marked trail as such, the trek just follows the coast. It is true that the section from Ravine de Casoars to West Bay (passing over Vennachar Point near West Bay) remains closed since the 2007 bushfires, south of West Bay only re-opened at the start of 2010. Talking to local rangers though the issue seems to be centered more on management of trail users near Ravine de Casoars rather than vegetation recovery issues (having hiked south of West Bay in April the vegetation seems to have recovered well.)

Please do let me know what you find out by replying here or PM.

Kangaroo Island Walking Club
http://walkingsa.org.au/clubinfo.html

Kangaroo Island Walking Club
President, Midge Patterson, tel. 8553 0165
Sandy Holmes, tel. 8553 2900
Jaffrey Drinkwater, tel. 8553 2776
http://sacommunity.org/org/199382-Kangaroo_Island_Walking_Club
blogs - www.jeremyc.com
peak bagging - peakclimbs.com
jez_au
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Maelgwn » Fri 10 Dec, 2010 8:36 am

Thanks Jez

Yes we have been in contact with Brian and he has been to the plaque but can't find it anymore! He is chasing up GPS co-ordinates for us.

We walking the Coastal Trek in January and were really hoping Ravine de Casoars would be open so we could have a good three day walk, instead of only the two days between West Bay and Cape Borda. Vegetation south of West Bay is very good, seems to be much denser down low than pre fires. The tall stuff will take a lot longer to recover.
Maelgwn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jez_au » Fri 10 Dec, 2010 8:59 am

Hey Maelgwn, top work!

The impression I got from the rangers was the section from Ravine de Casoars to West Bay would only re-open if a government grant or chunk of money was dedicated to it, a marked trail is the only way forward from a management perspective. The cost is beyond the normal Parks budget, if they didnt get it when they redeveloped Flinders Chase NP after the bushfires, they wouldn't ever be getting it, as such the trail is quite unlikely to reopen. My cynical impression anyway, I would love to see it reopen and would like to think there is planning for it happening somewhere in the Dept of NR.

Yes the taller stuff was just blackened branches still, will need to walk it again some distant day to see it well after a bushfire.
blogs - www.jeremyc.com
jez_au
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Maelgwn » Fri 10 Dec, 2010 12:43 pm

jez_au wrote:Hey Maelgwn, top work!

The impression I got from the rangers was the section from Ravine de Casoars to West Bay would only re-open if a government grant or chunk of money was dedicated to it, a marked trail is the only way forward from a management perspective. The cost is beyond the normal Parks budget, if they didnt get it when they redeveloped Flinders Chase NP after the bushfires, they wouldn't ever be getting it, as such the trail is quite unlikely to reopen. My cynical impression anyway, I would love to see it reopen and would like to think there is planning for it happening somewhere in the Dept of NR.

Yes the taller stuff was just blackened branches still, will need to walk it again some distant day to see it well after a bushfire.

I am not really sure how they would stop private parties walking that section. Certainly the Ravine de Casoars hike will have boardwalk and marking etc ... but I am actually surprised they list the West Coast Trek as a possibility in the bushwalking guides etc. It is the sort of (semi) remote walking that doesn't really get promoted in South Australia (or elsewhere) for fear of under prepared parties going there.
Maelgwn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jez_au » Fri 10 Dec, 2010 1:48 pm

Yeah I agree, it is unusual for them to support, which is probably why they have not restored the full trek and closed the below hikes.

There is no access to the Ravine des Casoars Hike. Both this hike and the nearby Oval Hike remain closed after the 2007 bushfires. My impression from rangers was that management issues, not fire damage, is also the real issue for the Ravine des Casoars Hike. Too many backpacker buses and other tour operators getting people into trouble, the area is quite isolated in terms of both road access and communciation.

http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/parks/visitor/kiinfo.html
blogs - www.jeremyc.com
jez_au
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jez_au » Wed 09 Feb, 2011 12:23 pm

Hi Maelgwn, wondering if you undertook this trek in January? How did it go? Did you get the GPS co-ords for the plaque? Did you find the plaque?
blogs - www.jeremyc.com
jez_au
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Maelgwn » Wed 09 Feb, 2011 12:32 pm

Hi jez

Got some coordinates from someone in the ki walking club but they were wrong. Had another look in January but still couldn't find it. Im sure the mystery will be solved one day.

But the trek was good. West bay to snake lagoon was too long for some but still good. Very happy with the parks tours elsewhere and lots of seals out at cape de coudie.
Maelgwn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby mr_sav » Mon 19 Dec, 2011 9:24 pm

Hi,

I Just thought to drop a line, as I have previously come across posts regarding these walks and the interest of the Loch Sloy and Loch Vennachar markers.

This may or may not be of interest to people walking the trail. So I apologise in advance if it is of no interest to the reader.

in 1980, I was a young boy, who was lucky enough to travel on the HMAS Banks from Port Adelaide to Kingscote to retrieve an Anchor to take back to Adelaide. It underwent restoration treatment. It was retrieved earlier that year by some local scuba divers from KI. The anchor belonged to the wreck, the Loch Vennachar.

A local fishing boat carried it to Kingscote. That Anchor is the very one on display on Kangaroo Island.

Earlier this year I made a few trips to the wreck of the Loch Vennachar and videoed some of the remains.

It gets more interesting about 1/2 way through the short video. You will see what I believe to be the wheels of a portable steam engine or large pump. Remembering the ship was a 3 mast steel sailing ship.

The video, if of interest, can be seen on youtube search for "ozdiverdown". I will put the link below as well.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ozdiverdown

I hope to locate and video the Loch Sloy, in early 2012.

I also have a video of the Portland Maru which lies just off the North West Coast of Kangaroo Island.

I hope this may be of interest to those that appreciate the trails along this beautiful rugged coastline.

If anyone has local knowledge of Caves inland or coastal with water around Kangaroo island then please do not hesitate to contact me on my mobile: 0421096272. I would be happy to return the call.

Thanks.
mr_sav
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 20 Dec, 2011 8:20 pm

Thanks for that link. Some nice footage of the Broken Sub, too. Good viz that day.
And Kilsby's, Pines, Murra, Weebubbie . . . *sigh*
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby justsheldon » Sat 21 Jan, 2012 1:20 am

Hello

the Loch Vennachar wreck on the west coast of Kangaroo Island. We have been told it is on one of the points north from Point Vennachar, close to the location of the actual wreck but we were searching this week and couldn't find it. Can anyone describe the location accurately or have GPS co-ordinates for it?

Thanks

philip k dick
justsheldon
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Northern Territory

Postby jez_au » Fri 13 Apr, 2012 9:54 pm

There is a feature on the archaology work and the Loch Sloy on ABC's 7.30 State Edition (SA) next Friday 20 April 2012. If you miss it it will be available on ABC's iView.

The promo mentions the archeology work being undertaken on what is thought to be a stone-marked grave near the wreck.

It might be of general interest to the Vennachar Wreck co-ords, since the wreck is in the same area. The promo showed a plaque on a cliff-top.
blogs - www.jeremyc.com
jez_au
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory