Day walks WA

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Day walks WA

Postby Taurë-rana » Tue 12 Apr, 2011 1:38 pm

I'm going to WA for nearly two weeks over Easter with no set itinerary other than the first few days in Perth with my sister. I'm going because I need to absorb some sun and heat before we slide into the depths of the winter here (all right, further into the depths of winter).
Any suggestions for good day walks? I'm thinking about Kalbarri at the moment, probably dropping in to the Moore River area on the way up Dan. I'd love to go back to the Hammersleys, but I think it might be too much driving. I'd like to go to Cape Le Grande but I've been to SW WA twice and had mostly cool, wet weather both times so I'm a bit put off by that.
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Day walks WA

Postby stepbystep » Fri 15 Apr, 2011 6:17 pm

Hi Rachel,
Dip your toes in the Indian Ocean for me please!
Enjoy MR, hire a canoe and go for a paddle, it's a beautiful little river, if you get as far as 'the desert' walk up the dunes and look for 'the fossils'.
Daywalks - John Forrest NP has some nice ones, Bluff Knoll down south is a classic, I'd be content strolling the coastline, cape to cape, or part thereof or go North and enjoy the warmth.
Check out The Pinnacles, or head up to Kalbarri and get into the Murchison Gorges, have fun!
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby walk2wineries » Wed 30 May, 2012 7:48 pm

Dwellingup
Cape-to-Cape (Dunsborough & south) is reachable & there's a good book called "Walking in Circles" which suggests day walks based on the C2Cape.
walk2wineries
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby YoungNedOfTheHill » Thu 14 Jun, 2012 3:27 pm

Hi, there are many great day walks to do here in WA. It depends if you wan to head North or south, I do most of my walks in the south of the state and there is a treasure trove of walks. If you want to walk on the Bibbulmun track then check http://www.bibbulmuntrack.org.au/trip-planner/Day-Walks.aspx. Also there is 2 great publications out there called Walks in the Perth region and Walks in the south west, both are published by CALM (department of conservation & land management) they are available from most hiking stores or any calm offices. They will give you track notes and show you the best way to get to the trail heads.

Hope that helps.
Travel far away
Travel slow
Go on your own two feet
Squat down
And talk to people
YoungNedOfTheHill
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory