Lake Eyre camping

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Lake Eyre camping

Postby lyndoor » Wed 13 Apr, 2011 5:55 pm

We are planning to head out to Lake Eyre at the start of June 2011 & was wondering how 4WD accessible it was from Broken Hill & any suggestions for the best camp spots? :D

lyndor
lyndoor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Lake Eyre camping

Postby photohiker » Wed 13 Apr, 2011 6:38 pm

There are two public accessible points for lake Eyre that I know of.

1. Level Post Bay. This is approached from Maree via the PAR on Mulorinna Station. You get to drive the country between Lake Eyre South and Lake Eyre North and see the Goyder Channel that joins them. There is no camping at Level Post Bay, but there is a campsite at Mulorinna with donation toilet last time I was there. From memory, it's an hour or two from the Campsite to the lake itself.

2. Halligan Bay/ABC Bay. This is the most well used track that runs from the Oodnadatta track a few kms south of William Creek. The track condition is variable and if there has been much traffic (yes, there has) then expect a badly corrugated sandy (goat) track. Just take it easy and you'll be fine. While people have driven out there in cars, you really need a 4wd, and something with good clearance is the way to go. There is good outback camping at both Halligan Bay and ABC Bay. Toilets at Halligan Bay but better lake access at ABC.

Br aware of the arid conditions - take lots of water! Halligan Bay track is where the Austrian tourist died trying to walk back to the Oodnadatta track after bogging their hire 4wd. Also, make sure you understand your vehicle and can recover it in case it becomes bogged - tyre pressures, winch, maxtrax, whatever. Usual emergency precautions apply: PLB/Spot/Satphone/HF Radio - take at least one of these!

You can view Lake Eyre South from the Oodnadatta track near Curdimurka. There is an unofficial access to the south lake near there, but there is a barney going on and I believe it has been closed off.

Hope that helps!

Michael
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby lyndoor » Thu 14 Apr, 2011 10:17 am

Thankyou, Photohiker, that's is great info.
We travelled the Gibb & Tanami a few years ago & assume they were a bit "civilised" compared to what we might encounter enroute to Lake Eyre, so we appreciate the heads up with the preparation.
Looking forward to an amazing sight!
Cheers :)
lyndoor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby photohiker » Thu 14 Apr, 2011 1:00 pm

Should be great this year.

There is a place called 'Coward Springs' on the Oodnadatta track a bit over halfway between Maree and William Creek. I've not actually stayed there, but have heard plenty of good reports - good sites, hot showers, toilets and hot springs. What more could you want? :) They have a website looks good, must visit. :)

Scenic flights from William Creek and Maree are worthwhile, but expensive.

Most of these areas are devoid of firewood, so if you want fires, strap a log or two on top of the packrack.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby silkwood » Mon 18 Apr, 2011 10:42 pm

What the Gibb has in common woth the Oodnadatta Track is- if the weather is good they can both be done in a basin sedan (albeit slowly if the corrugations are bad), but both are totally 4WD only in the wet, and in that case sometimes a no-go for anything. If you've done the Tanami you'll be fine. Out to the ABC Bay camp was a breeze a couple of months ago but traffic has been heavy. I know of ten people going out there around Easter so I imagine the track will be taking some beating.The William Creek Pub is a classic.

Cheers,

Mark
silkwood
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby flatfoot » Thu 21 Apr, 2011 9:36 pm

Flies are a big problem at Lake Eyre. From memory the camping areas are set back from the lake. The flies were so bad we immediately packed our gear after the sun rose. We retreated to the edge of the lake where there was much more wind to eat our breakfast.

I was there in Sept 00 when it was full.
Flat-footed Mainlander
flatfoot
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Penguin » Thu 21 Apr, 2011 10:16 pm

Last year in July/August Halligan Bay was inaccessible due to rain. Two Paris/Dakar style bikes took 8 hours to do the 24 odd Kms. Access will depend on the amount of rain Image

We were almost caught at William Creek with the Oonadatta track being closed with rain. In good weather a 2WD would do the track easily.

Have fun - it is a great trip.
Penguin

Postby lyndoor » Sat 23 Apr, 2011 10:39 pm

Thanks, Penguin, hope we don't get weather like that!!!
We are going to fly out over Lake Eyre from Maree & plan to spend a bit of time in the Flinders Ranges. Can't wait. :D

lyndoor
lyndoor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Teegs » Thu 19 May, 2011 3:24 pm

Ensure you contact the National Parks office in Port Augusta for park pass information, road conditions and any other updates that may be useful. They are avail on freecall 1800 816 078.
Teegs
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby lyndoor » Sun 22 May, 2011 4:17 pm

Thanks, Teegs, will do. Hope to have some great photos to post.:D
lyndoor
lyndoor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby lyndoor » Sat 02 Jul, 2011 1:39 am

Back from our Lake Eyre/ Flinders Ranges jaunt. Wish we had more days but had a great time.
Out of Melbourne, off the boat, we headed north for a change of scenery to overnight in Renmark. The next day we huntered along to Leigh Creek via Burra & Hawker. It was then about an 1.5hr drive to Marree to catch our flight over the two lakes.
027 (Small).JPG
Carpet of Gum blossom

030 (Small) (2).JPG
Saltbush plains
030 (Small) (2).JPG (58.27 KiB) Viewed 17541 times

032 (Small).JPG
Abandon buildings along the disused railway line to Marree

While Lake Eyre North & South hadn't yet flowed over & joined together, the body of water was a magnificent sight with all it's different colours & characters.
046 (800x595).jpg
Lake Eyre
046 (800x595).jpg (311.73 KiB) Viewed 17541 times
lyndoor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby lyndoor » Sat 02 Jul, 2011 2:05 am

After our flight we travelled south through Paranchilla & Blinman to camp overnight at Aroona in the Flinders Ranges.
085 (800x592).jpg
Aroona
085 (800x592).jpg (451.55 KiB) Viewed 17540 times

062 (800x600).jpg
Great fire pits & lots of camping spots.
062 (800x600).jpg (459.24 KiB) Viewed 17540 times

Beautiful Ghost/White gums everywhere & amazing dry riverbeds along the 8km Yuluna Hike.
067 (800x539).jpg
067 (800x539).jpg (457.52 KiB) Viewed 17540 times

Looking from the ruins of Heysen's vantage point towards the Range that was named for him.
088 (Small).JPG
lyndoor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby lyndoor » Sat 02 Jul, 2011 2:10 am

We then headed to Wilpena Pound & camped at the Resort. Great facilities & space for camping. Meals at the Lodge were a treat too!
103 (Small).JPG
Overlooking the camping grounds of the Resort & across the plain...
103 (Small).JPG (79.73 KiB) Viewed 17540 times

Wilpena Pound from Mt Olssen Bagge in the late evening.
124 (Small).JPG
lyndoor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Penguin » Sat 02 Jul, 2011 11:52 am

Glad you had a great time.

very :mrgreen: of the shots from the plane - all we got last year at William Creek was wind and rain so no flights :(

Makes we want to go again while Lake Eyre still has water in it.

P
Penguin

Postby lyndoor » Sat 02 Jul, 2011 10:01 pm

That's tough, Penguin. It's such a long haul.
Plane trip is definitely the way to go, though.
Glad you enjoyed the pics :)

What sort of camper trailer did you have there? Looks the business!
lyndoor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Penguin » Sat 02 Jul, 2011 10:39 pm

lyndoor wrote:That's tough, Penguin. It's such a long haul.
Plane trip is definitely the way to go, though.
Glad you enjoyed the pics :)

What sort of camper trailer did you have there? Looks the business!

Tvan

The Jeep did well - the whole 84kw got me through the mud really well. Next time we will have a landcruiser like you. More power!!!!!

We see if I can put up some pics.

Penguin
Penguin

Postby lyndoor » Tue 05 Jul, 2011 1:39 pm

Cheers!
lyndoor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby photohiker » Tue 05 Jul, 2011 10:26 pm

Nice report. Looks like you had a great trip, and good weather too.

Hoping to get up that way again in a few weeks, weather permitting. Its been belting down in SA recently, not sure if its effecting northern areas though.

Cooper Punt is operating again.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tukey » Fri 15 Jul, 2011 5:58 pm

The pics are amazing and beautiful.
Tukey
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Postby AdamM » Thu 01 Sep, 2011 12:24 am

Have only just come across this thread!

A mate and I flew to Adelaide Boxing Day 2010, hired a 4WD (1 y.o. Mitsubishi Pajero) and drove to Lake Eyre via Clare Valley (2 nights) and Coober Pedy (1 night) on the way up, and Maree (1 night) and Wilpena Pound/Flinders Ranges (2 nights) on the way back. Great experience. We visited the William Creek Hotel and headed out to Halligan Bay with a view to paddle in the lake, after being advised by the publican the water was approx. 500 metres from the shore. There was no-one else at the Lake the day we were there - not surprising given it was almost 40C! We got about 200m from the shore before we had to turn back due to sinking through the salt crust and into the mud and water below it, which woukd have been about 60C! Ambient air temp on the lake's salt crust would have been about 50C! I removed my sunglasses while I was on the salt crust and the experience was what I can only imagine snow blindness must be like, without having experienced it. All in all a very surreal experience. I've attached a couple of photos - they don't it justice (especially since they were taken on my Nokia E71 phone), but might give you some idea.

For those heading to Lake Eyre, road conditions are available online at:

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/quicklin ... /area1.asp

It appeared to me that the website might have been a day or two behind the actual road conditions. We were worried the roass were not going to be open due to significant rain a couple of weeks prior, bit needn't have been - we could have done the trip in a 2WD sedan no problem (although the 4WD allowed us to do it quicker). Had it rained it would have been a different story.
Attachments
30122010788.jpg
Halligan Bay, Lake Eyre, Dec 2010
30122010789.jpg
AdamM
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory